Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

ECM Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 06:46 PM
Default ECM Swap?

Hi guys,

I am suspecting I have a bad ECM... My engine issues, hesitation, lack of power and now weird shifting, that Ive been dealing with for the past 5 months, are getting worse and worse by the day.

The only code Im getting is a KS low circuit on banks 1 and 2.

As I am thinking that I could have a bad ECM, my questions are:

1, Is there a way to diagnose the ECM ? I have access to a tech2 scanner,
2. Just for kicks, Can or SHOULD I try to install a confirmed compatible ECM from my other vehicle (a 2005 Escalade) without programming it?
3. Any other ideas?

THE ONLY sure thing is that I can see a serious improvement for a few miles every time I disconnect the battery for an hour or so-

By the way, this is what I have done to my 2005 H2 in the past few months with no improvement whatsoever.

1. ACDelco Knock Sensors and wiring.
2. Delphi MAF sensor
3. NGK iridium plugs and wires
4, Throttle body
5, Charcoal Canister
6. EVAP solenoid
7. Gas cap
8. Battery
9. Checked and cleaned all the grounds
10. Professionally cleaned the injectors
11. New Engine air filter

Thank you all

Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 PM

I wonder if it might be fuel pressure related? There is a small regulator on the side of the intake and of course the pump itself (which is in the fuel tank). Cam or crank position sensors losing signal, throttle position sensor? Just not sure myself but it seems like it could be a number of things and the reset really is not addressing the problem, just the symptom for a bit. I've even seen a bad spark plug wire cause a lot of headaches. Works fine for a bit but when it heated up a thin spot in the insulation started allowing the spark to get out and arc to the head. Found that the hard way.... grabbed the wire where I heard the snapping sound. That very very unpleasant. lol

Might try asking or just searching for similar symptoms over at performancetrucks or one of the GM truck sites as well since the trucks and suvs are far more common as well.

Last edited by MixManSC; 03-18-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
I wonder if it might be fuel pressure related? There is a small regulator on the side of the intake and of course the pump itself (which is in the fuel tank). Cam or crank position sensors losing signal, throttle position sensor? Just not sure myself but it seems like it could be a number of things and the reset really is not addressing the problem, just the symptom for a bit. I've even seen a bad spark plug wire cause a lot of headaches. Works fine for a bit but when it heated up a thin spot in the insulation started allowing the spark to get out and arc to the head. Found that the hard way.... grabbed the wire where I heard the snapping sound. That very very unpleasant. lol

Might try asking or just searching for similar symptoms over at performancetrucks or one of the GM truck sites as well since the trucks and suvs are far more common as well.
Thank you MixManSC, as usual you're the man!

The ECM swap was successful but no signs of improvement. One plug cable was broken and I ordered a brand new set of AC Delco's with the heat shields that mines were missing.
I will check the regulator you mentioned as well as the CP and TP sensors.Will also try to bypass the fuel pump with an exterior one just for testing purposes.