Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Advice regarding Tranmission decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:33 PM
Default Advice regarding Tranmission decision

Hello everyone,

A few weeks ago my tranny stopped shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Truck will shift from 1st to 2nd and back. I have reverse. When the RPMs get high enough to shift into 3rd, the engine just revs up and tranny feels like it goes into "neutral."

Based upon my research with this forum and google and other forums, my transmission needs to come out and get rebuilt. I have considered changing tranny fluid, changing the 2 to 3 solenoid, and getting a new tranny.

The truck is a 2005. Has 208,8xx miles. Tranny has already been rebuilt once. Truck has 6" inch lift and 15.50 wide and 38 tall tires. Not a "surprise" tranny is shot. I don't hot rod the thing or off-road it. Just bought it bc of looks and I always wanted one. I completely bypassed radiator last fall. I have 26,000 gvw external cooler.

The advice I seek is: who to go with regarding rebuild, what components to get changed and/or upgraded, feedback on pricing, and commentary regarding monster transmissions and performabuilt transmissions.

Whichever company I go with, the repair will be a bench job. I'm not hurting for the H2 as I have another vehicle. I tend to spend money on quality work/parts as long as I know what I'm paying for.

As for pricing: $2,650 for permabuilt. That includes new wearable parts, upgraded internals, new solenoids, corvette servo, house modified valve body, new torque converter up to 2500 stall, shipping to my house, no core charge, a an external trans cooler, unlimited mile warranty for 2 yrs. owner doesn't care about my big tires.

Monster has kits I can install in the 600 to 700 range. Or, i can have them send me a tranny and I send mine back, pretty much he same as permabuilt but I'm not certain about solenoids and just how many parts are upgraded. I have to ship my core back. Cost: $2,000 to $2,200 depending upon shipping.

Local trans shop:$2,200. 1 yr warranty. Doesn't like my big tires. May charge me more after he tears down my tranny. Wearable parts are changed and some parts are upgraded.

Trans shop that specializes in GM trannies only....about 75 miles away...$1,180. Uses a Transco shift kit. Not sure what all he upgrades.

Please shed some light on what you guys have done. What you recommend/suggest. Any feedback regarding aforementioned brands is appreciated too.

Part of me wants to rebuild it myself. However, I have never attempted something like this, I am concerned about tools I don't have, and the amount of time it will take. I'm thinking probably 40 labor hours to remove, tear down, rebuild, reinstall. This 40 hours also includes researching which kit to buy, buying missing tools, and triple checking my work as I don't really know what I'm doing.

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2017, 08:07 AM

I would go the $1180 route.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:17 PM

Monster is hit or miss if you look around hard enough.

You can buy from Jegs from about $1200.

There is also upgrading to 4L70 or 4L80 tranmissions.

I'm going to do something with mine whenever I r/r the rear main seal. I have a local shop that will change it all with heavy duty parts for around $1100 plus converter.

Tim

Last edited by tharber; 05-30-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:47 PM

Ya know, these American beauty's never get old. They flirt but we don't care, they act up but we still blindly and faithfully love em. Their like a beautiful woman with total T & A that's high maintenance.

As long as you throw $$$ at em, they love you back big boom boom. So you wanna know what to do. You do whatever you want to make yourself happy, no matter the cost. Like Robert Palmer sang in the song, simply irresistible, She's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went. She's all mine, there's no other way to go. Just remember, your addiction cost money and you have to have it.

Have look at this option: Remanufactured 4L60E / 4L65E Transmissions | Street Smart Transmission

I now return you to the regularly scheduled advice fest.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:31 PM

Any validation regarding the replacement/upgrade of varying transmission components? Which are most important/necessary?

Thanks

Old 06-02-2017, 08:24 AM

Decide on an amount your willing to spend and get the best you can. The 65E was already an upgrade to the 60 for these trucks.
Their common trans and there are a lot of upgrades that can be done to strengthen them.
Monster is hit and miss as someone has already mentioned, so I would be cautious to purchase from them.
Look at the warranties and reviews for each seller/re-builder and go from there.
I've purchased from TransDepot a couple times and have had great luck but I have not had one break so I have not had to work with them on warranty work.
Like you I would like to tear into one someday, its the only part that I have not done so with but the specialty tools are pricey to do it correctly.
Kinda stuck with asking the shops what the best parts to upgrade are, if they are going to warranty their work they will know what needs upgrading.
Hope this helps
Neal

Old 06-02-2017, 08:17 PM

I was hoping to be the in the $1000 to $1,500 range. Preferably, with a 2 to 3yr warranty.

Smart Transmissions quoted me $1,470 for a full remanufactured unit.
3 yr, unlimited mile warranty. If I pay a shop to do the install, they cover $50/hr of labor if it fails. They completely disassemble their units, make upgrades/improvements, change solenoids if they fail, include torque converter, dyno test the unit, ship to a commercial address for free, no upfront core charge, and give me 2 weeks to return my busted core.

According to the sales manager, they are 1 of 8 companies in the US that do complete remanufactures. 1 of 2 that sell to the public. The other 6 only sell to installers. States they have a 4% failure rate. If I can't get a commercial address for delivery, shipping is $200.

Shared with the sales manager I have a lift and 38" tires and he said that was NOT a problem.

I may have found a winner.

After considering my use, it doesn't make sense for me to get a "performance" transmission from Monster or Permabuilt. The typical failure points have been remedied with a remanufactured unit and the "upgraded" parts can handle the stock horsepower and torque. I don't want to make any major hp mods and don't plan to tow anything in excess of the weight rating.

Smart Transmissions are assembled by 4 different people, each checking the other's work. 3 years is the longest warranty I have come across with....especially when I disclose the lift and tires.

Every shop has a different set of upgrades and it is difficult to cross/shop/compare. Plus, lots of the nearby places have a 1 week turnaround....in most cases. Warranties are between 1 and 2 yrs.

Well let everyone know what I decide during this coming weeks.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:17 AM

Certified transmission out of Omaha Ne. has high quality reman transmissions. I would go that route if mine went out. 800-544-7520 3 year 100,000 mile warranty.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:52 AM

Smart Trans sounds like a very good deal with support for their work if it fails and one of the best warranties I've herd about.

Keep us posted on your decision

Neal

Old 06-06-2017, 09:24 AM

I'm talking to Street Smart also and looks like I'm going with them for my wife's 08 6L80. Was going to use Jasper but just too high priced, and restrictive on installers.

Quick Reply: Advice regarding Tranmission decision