Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Seized engine - 2004 H2 with 177K miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 07:59 AM
Default Seized engine - 2004 H2 with 177K miles

Hi,
Apologize in advance if this was asked before. I think the engine on my 2004 h2 has seized up when it ran on "low oil pressure" warning. Looking for recommendations on new engine to put in or rebuild.
There are many LQ4 swap engines on ebay and other websites that fits in, but not sure if it would be ok to go that route instead of getting a new crate from GM. trying to get it up and running again on a low budget. will appreciate your input.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:22 AM

Are you going to keep it for a long time? Is it in good condition? If so a reman crate motor from GM would be good. Otherwise find a used motor at a local wrecking yard.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:07 AM

Yes, bought it 5 months ago and like it, very good condition. Planning on keeping for long time too. The GM crate around 3K is what I would love to do but I'm afraid I would end up spending 6K or more, after all labor and other parts that goes with it. The complete used ones I see on ebay runs between $1200 to $2500 and swapping shouldn't cost much, just not sure if it worth it or even reliable engines.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:33 AM

That is a sharp looking truck. I would opt for the GM motor. 3 year VS 90 day warranty for $2000 more is a big plus.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:34 PM

have you thought about rebuilding it and doing a stroke and bore... more hp, more torque...
you could also look for an LQ9 too... i have heard that will swap in
i am sure you can get that done for the same price as a used engine. the only thing you wont have is the paperweight core you have now.
just a couple more options

Old 08-10-2018, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by jsbihn
have you thought about rebuilding it and doing a stroke and bore... more hp, more torque...
you could also look for an LQ9 too... i have heard that will swap in
i am sure you can get that done for the same price as a used engine. the only thing you wont have is the paperweight core you have now.
just a couple more options
Talked with 3 mechanic shops today. seems like no one wants to rebuild engine from scratch. all recommended a rebuild long block or new GM crate..... the quote I got for a remanufactured long block ATK engine, here is the link https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-Engines/0...333+4294827332 is $3015 + $610 core charge + $1800 labor, which includes $300 for new water pump, spark plugs, fluids, etc. So, all in all would be looking at around 5K. I decide against the used swap already.

do you guys think this is a fair quote?

Old 08-11-2018, 07:52 AM

Is that you purchasing the engine ? You know if there was an issue with it , you would be paying for labor again. I would let the shop supply the motor and then if there is an issue they eat the labor.
Get a price from the local Chevy dealer and see how it compares.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by alradwan
Hi,
Apologize in advance if this was asked before. I think the engine on my 2004 h2 has seized up when it ran on "low oil pressure" warning. Looking for recommendations on new engine to put in or rebuild.
There are many LQ4 swap engines on ebay and other websites that fits in, but not sure if it would be ok to go that route instead of getting a new crate from GM. trying to get it up and running again on a low budget. will appreciate your input.
hi I have the same color/year as yours now with 204XXX miles on and running solid so far . In my case I will go to a Gm dealer when the time comes they offer a good warranty for the price ,I’m keeping my H2 for ever there’s no way I’m putting a used engine even if was free ... just knowing that it has a warranty from Gm it’s worth a million bucks to me ....

Old 08-11-2018, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by calif phil
Is that you purchasing the engine ? You know if there was an issue with it , you would be paying for labor again. I would let the shop supply the motor and then if there is an issue they eat the labor.
Get a price from the local Chevy dealer and see how it compares.
Yes, it comes with 3 year/Unlimited mileage warranty parts+labor if I buy from Jegs. It's also available via Autozone for $2812+$610 core charge but with Exclusive 4 yr/unlimited mileage "No Fault" Warranty parts+labor.
The shop offered me the GM engine for $4800 because that's all what they have. I will be buying the engine and ship it to the shop.

I thought it would be much more cheaper to do it that way and avoid the dealer, but since I'm already at the 5K mark, I'm going to the GM dealership on Monday to see how much more would it be if they took care of it.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:55 PM

Yes, it comes with 3 year/Unlimited mileage warranty parts+labor if I buy from Jegs. It's also available via Autozone for $2812+$610 core charge but with Exclusive 4 yr/unlimited mileage "No Fault" Warranty parts+labor. https://www.autozone.com/powertrain/..._362102_11266#
I will be buying the engine and ship it to the shop. The shop offered me the GM engine for $4800 because that's all what they have..

I thought it would be much more cheaper to do it that way and avoid the dealer, but since I'm already at the 5K mark, I'm going to the GM dealership on Monday to see how much more would it be if they took care of it.