PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My H3 Engine has just abandoned me!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 04:29 AM
Default My H3 Engine has just abandoned me!

Hi you all and pleased to be a new member of hummerforums.
I live in Italy and i'm a proud owner of an H3 Hummer, even though it's really hard here to find assistance and repairs for hummers here as where i live (northern italy), there is just one authorized workshop and other mechanicians will refuse to take any responsibility working on a car they don't know.

Due to my dishonest mantainer who has just never ever changed the oil of my H3 - and who will now deal with my lawier - my hummer suddently broke its engine.

I've been contacting the only Hummer certified workshop there is in northern Italy but he told me he wants nothing less than 15.000 € (somewhere around 17.000 $) to fix my car.

I then looked at theautochannel.com and other similar sites and found out that an used H3 3700 cc engine costs something between 1200 and 2000 $.

It's obvious that the only hummer certified workshop in italy is just monopolizing its lucky position and thinks its customers aren't able to use google.

I decided to buy an used engine from USA through a site like theautochannel and then give the pieces to a local workshop and just pay them to mount it.

Mine is a 3500 cc Hummer but i just found 3700 cc Hummer H3 engines at the moment so here is my question: can i just mount a 3700 engine in what used to be a 3500 cc H3? Is an american engine compatible with the european version of the H3?

Thanks a lot

Old 09-28-2011, 07:37 AM

Ciao Enzo,I think european and us engines are the same..wether the 3.7 will fit on the 3.5 is another matter. of course it would be nice to have the extra horses..
I'm sure someone else on here will be able to advise ...It's a good idea to buy one from the US and mount it yourself...I had a friend here who lost his engine also and it cost him $ 2000 for a used one fitted...Bon divertimento and good luck

Old 09-28-2011, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

It is not a bolt in swap. The 3.5L and 3.7L use different PCMs and have to be programmed differently. So unless your local shop can handle the electronic side of your install, you will still be at an authorized service provider. It would be easier to stick with a 3.5L replacement.

You may be able to get the 3.7L motor physically installed, but then I am not sure if you authorized service center may not want to finish the job started by somebody else???? (ie. if it does not run correctly after the swap, whose fault is it, the local shop that bolted it in, or the GM service center that tried to install a new PCM and program????

Start looking into the programming side. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:56 AM

Im sorry to hear that and I know exactly how you feel, mine also died a month ago.

Why not get the engine form the US (a new engine would be half the cost if I got it from US rather than through GM here in UAE). You can then get the GM guys to install it and make necessary adaptations for wiring harness/computer etc if changing engine size.

Im in the process of having a near new 5.3L replace my 3.7L, more than just swaping an engine though so as mentioned earlier you need someone that knows what they are doing. I was lucky there was a 5.3 engine with <8-10k km's on it and available. It is from a H3 Alpha (2008, same year as my adventure) which the owner had removed to fit a 6.0 engine in, yes thats right! huge amount of work to get that in there.....

All up the bigger engine and all necessary parts etc installed and out the door will be cheaper than a GM direct engine and a few more horses for the dunes.... I still owe money on it so couldnt walk away + I love it and no plan on selling so just an investment....

Good luck, take you time if you can and look at all your options

Old 09-29-2011, 05:55 AM

Thanks for the good answers.

Given that it's also an electronic matter i think i'll leave the hand work to that only autorized workshop.

Does anyone know whether it would be possible to mount some other year's H3 engine than 2007 or not? Just to know.

Grazie ancora

Old 09-29-2011, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Anything is possible, it is just a matter of how much do you want to spend and/or how much can you do yourself.

If you wnt to spend $18-20K to have somebody install a 6.0L in and 18-20K truck, it is up to you. Even though you invested $36-40K in the project, it is still an $18-20K truck, and harder to sell than a stocker.