PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New motor question

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 11:05 AM
Default New motor question

So I recently purchased a mint condition 2006 H2 with just over 100k miles. Check engine light kept coming on so went for a tune up and kept getting error code 3rd cylinder issue. $1100 later chasing the problem and my mechanic insisting he felt the engine was bad and suggested replacement, turns out it looks like he was correct. Lost power and oil pressure the other day. Runs rough and these were the symptoms he said we'd see should the engine fail. He's now suggesting a Jasper motor with a 3 year warranty. Concerned about that and wanted to know if anyone else experienced this and what you did? Anyone replace the 6.0l with a Jasper motor? New options?
I am just puzzled that a 107k mile 6.0 1 owner vehicle could fail. I've had over 80 cars and never lost a motor. Suggestions thoughts etc?

Btw.... I'm keeping the H2 as it's absolutely mint otherwise. No rust and in vgc otherwise. They are increasing in value so I'm thinking not the end of the world to replace motor. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:35 PM

Set a budget. That's where you need to start.

I'm biased, but I say if you have the money, go diesel. It'll last 3x as long as the gas, if not longer, get better mileage & have incredible towing capacities. You'd be looking at 22k-25k for everything (allison transmission, duramax LBZ 450hp/750ft-lb & installation).

If you want to stick with gas, chevy has a lot of LS crated motors to choose from. They can get scary high in price & cost as much as the duramax build. It just depends on what you want out of it. Here's the engines that chevy makes: Crate Engines: Classic Chevy Race Engines | Chevrolet
I'm not familiar with jasper at all. Maybe someone can speak about that.

Is this going to be more of a show car or will you be using it as a weekend car or daily driver?

Old 12-25-2015, 12:41 PM

Its my wife's daily driver and I am told I can get a Jasper gas motor for about $4500 all in with a 3 year warranty. I cannot spend $20k plus to go to a diesel. I would never get that back. I had thought about a diesel though. Would love the reliability.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:14 AM

Jasper is a good quality reman engine. I would check with your local GM dealer and price a new 6.0 motor over the counter and let your mechanic install it.