Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Oil leak and then some.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:39 PM
Default Oil leak and then some.

Hi folks. 2005 H2 6.0 (211,000 miles)
Problems-
-I found out from mechanic friend that my rear main seal was cause of oil leak(Maybe 15-drips after stopped).
-Some oil was laying in air intake/horn area.
-Oil pressure gauge read about 20 idling and did increase to almost 40 when accelerating.

Questions-
-Tips on how to rear main seal install and issues.
-I heard about replacing the drivers side valve cover fixed issue with air intake, but some other remedies were brought up too.
-Oil pressure was iffy. We brainstormed the oil sending unit was blocked, possible cluster malfunction??

Thanks for any replies on my issues.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:24 AM

You need to pull the transmission to replace the rear main seal. With that many miles it might be better to pull the engine, and replace the seal, oil pump and oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets and maybe knock sensors.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by calif phil
You need to pull the transmission to replace the rear main seal. With that many miles it might be better to pull the engine, and replace the seal, oil pump and oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets and maybe knock sensors.
Thanks. I'm glad you advised an extended tip. I don't know if prices are allowed on here like...What is the normal for something like this from a shop? I would guess over $1,200 or more.
Plus, the code for bad knock sensor came up.

Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:40 PM

The rear main seal and the oil pan are the most expensive to have done. A think you are pretty close on that cost...

Knock sensors - only replace them with genuine AC Delco ones and replace their harness while you are at it. Then seal them in well with a good high temp RTV sealant. You have to pull the intake to replace those. While in there plan on replacing the intake gaskets. Not a fun job but that would also be an ideal time to replace the valve cover gaskets if needed since you will already have a lot of stuff taken loose from them. If you are ever cleaning under the hood, never, ever spray water towards the bottom of the intake. What happens with the knock sensors is the original rubber plugs get hard over the years, then water that gets under the intake gets past the plugs and fouls the sensors.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
The rear main seal and the oil pan are the most expensive to have done. A think you are pretty close on that cost...

Knock sensors - only replace them with genuine AC Delco ones and replace their harness while you are at it. Then seal them in well with a good high temp RTV sealant. You have to pull the intake to replace those. While in there plan on replacing the intake gaskets. Not a fun job but that would also be an ideal time to replace the valve cover gaskets if needed since you will already have a lot of stuff taken loose from them. If you are ever cleaning under the hood, never, ever spray water towards the bottom of the intake. What happens with the knock sensors is the original rubber plugs get hard over the years, then water that gets under the intake gets past the plugs and fouls the sensors.
Very helpful advice. I appreciate both of you for the tips.
I'll post back and give you an outcome when I get done. However, I have a feeling I'll be posting before its fixed with others issues.
Thanks again, ObuckiO.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:57 PM

I agree with calif
pull the engine and do a full.rebuilt
at least the rear seal , oil pump , valve covers , oil pan gasket , front gasket , water pump

i did all that one by one . At the end I ended paying over 5000 .

Old 02-25-2019, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by H2Miami
I agree with calif
pull the engine and do a full.rebuilt
at least the rear seal , oil pump , valve covers , oil pan gasket , front gasket , water pump

i did all that one by one . At the end I ended paying over 5000 .
The water pump is less than year old, but I get the picture. I almost wondered about getting whole new motor...Highly doubt that though. I just can't get myself to sell it either. I use it for work and the room is like a van and the pulling power is all there. Plus, 10yrs of being my best vehicle ever owned. I'm going to keep fixing it as it goes.

I rough priced all the parts with/some not mentioned(approx. $750) I hope It goes cheaper than $5,000 by far, but I understand its tough work.

Thanks for input.