Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

My 2007 h2

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 08:26 PM

Transmission started shifting funny from 1st to 2nd and then started slipping in first this morning. I’m so disgusted with it right now. 28,000 miles now and it’s done. Probably big tires and wrong gearing , weak transmission to begin with and possibly a small amount of coolant got in it when the radiator failed. Take your pick! I will get busy ordering parts tomorrow for a rebuild. I was told by Monster transmission after they searched my vin that I have a 4L70E. Guess it’s not any better than the 65E
I hope it’s not something electronic causing it.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:02 PM

wow sorry to hear that. that sucks. I had my truck down within the first week of owning it because the transmission detent lever was so rotted it would not hold the shift cable. then the nut that held the lever sheered off when they went to replace it so they had to go into the transmission and replace the whole selector shaft to be able to put a new detent lever. it was down for a week. but my issue is minuscule compared to yours.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
wow sorry to hear that. that sucks. I had my truck down within the first week of owning it because the transmission detent lever was so rotted it would not hold the shift cable. then the nut that held the lever sheered off when they went to replace it so they had to go into the transmission and replace the whole selector shaft to be able to put a new detent lever. it was down for a week. but my issue is minuscule compared to yours.
Thank you for your condolences! Lol. It’s just bad timing and I’m spending money on stuff that I didn’t think I would need to replace/rebuild/fix and my headers, cam and other wants will have to be put on hold for awhile. I had no intentions on not rebuilding it if it was getting pulled. I was planning on doing it after vacation and just dealing with the drip until I got home.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:29 PM

Does anyone have any real world experience with a stall torque converter in a H2? I have been researching it and I’m not finding the information I need to make a decision. As of now I’m leaning towards a Yank truck Thruster or pro truck but it comes at a premium and I don’t know if it’s necessary for my application. I’m looking at a 3,000 stall and Yank claims you can still tow with it I believe they are both 278mm or 11”. I have watched videos of trucks with stall converters but they are not big heavy and a 400 pound spare tire assembly on the back. I gave all the information to Yank so they could size a converter for my application and they said I need a 3,200 stall and it would be great for the BTR stage 2 cam that I will install once I stop hemorrhaging money on this beast. It’s my understanding that I will need to have my transmission tuned after it’s done. It seems like everything you do creates 2 more problems than can only be solved with more money! Does anyone know if the 4l70e has a 5 pinion planetary in it? I can’t find anything on that either, other than everyone selling them and GM /ACDelco makes them also but I don’t know if the 70e came with them. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:18 AM

I have been working on a parts list after deciding not to go with the monster SS kit. I don’t know anything about transmission parts but I have a little common sense when it comes to the short comings of the 4l65e. I finally ordered Sonnax parts and I found them a lot cheaper on eBay and amazon and the Kevlar band from summit along with some Taylor 10.4 mm wires. I think my transmission with upgrades will handle 700 hp maybe more. I got the Sonnax smart shell that adds a total of 8 clutches and 7 steels and will solve the 3-4 clutch problem. I got the Sonnax sun shell and servos and shift kit that increases line pressure and progressive firmness depending on acceleration. So nice smooth shifts while cruising and firm when getting on it.. my transmission builder will get whatever parts, seals, gaskets, clutches, and pistons. I ordered a new reverse input drum from ACDelco because the wider band will cover a worn surface. I got all new ACDelco electronics just Incase. I think my planetary’s will be fine with 28,000 miles on them. I looked at a 4l80e upgrade but I don’t want more issues to deal with. I will order a
Yank Truck Thruster 3,000 stall and behind my current power level it will probably be more like a 2,700 and that
should help move my piglet better than the stock TC. Monster kit was 1099.00 + 32.00 handling which I never understood and I even told them I didn’t want my stuff handled 100.00 shipping and I believe I ordered 1,000 in parts so far but the parts I ordered are way better than what I was getting with the monster SS. I have nothing against monster and I will probably use them for my blazer transmission when the time comes. I probably need another 300.00 to finish my parts and that’s probably a little high. The is torque converter is 575.00 but I think I can get 75.00 off during the 4th of July sale. Stay tuned because I’m sure something will go wrong as usual with modifications.

Last edited by maxjeep; 06-27-2019 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Forgot stuff
Old 06-27-2019, 01:27 PM

I’m at 1,077.93 so far and I still need clutches, piston kit, seals and gaskets. I was able to get Sonnax parts so much cheaper than I thought I could. I will have 1,800.00 in parts including torque converter and there is no further upgrades available. I will pay my transmission guy 500.00 to build it and maybe a 1,000.00 to pull and install it. I haven’t made up my mind but my thinking is he’s really good and he will make sure everything is working great before it leaves his shop. Bobs Transmissions in Henderson Nevada! He has taken a lot of time helping me out to get what I need and nowadays that’s hard to find. I really like the idea of keeping every part that came on my H2 on my H2 and I didn’t want to give up my 28,000 mile core for a 100k + core. I will list my parts and a few pictures when I get them. This maybe a good route for some members here to take. I’m a big fan of doing things once and never worrying about it again.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:16 PM

Fat vs skinny.
I installed the Taylor 10.4 mm wires and they are really fat compared to the stock wires. I don’t think they will make a measurable difference but it has to be a better conductor with less resistance. I have a few transmission parts trickling in and so far I have my wide Kevlar band and 5 bearings and wide sun gear bushing. I have been looking at billet 10 and 13 vane pumps and I will probably order one soon. I have been reading about the powder metal pump failing and taking out other stuff so while I’m in the I will try to head off future problems. I’m starting to get a little excited to get it built and I think I am getting way more for my money piecing together myself.

Last edited by maxjeep; 06-28-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:36 PM

some more info to indulge in

Old 06-29-2019, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by bronxteck
That’s really good stuff! I love transmission ****. We have the 5 pinion planetary already and I believe both of mine are still good. FYI the 4 pinion GM are better than the 5 pinion Chinese garbage. I have some stuff being delivered on Tuesday and I can’t believe how much I saved on Ebay. I got this for 429 delivered and I think it was 507 at Summit and that was a great deal.

I will Never have a 3/4 clutch problem

Old 07-03-2019, 03:29 PM

Parts are still tricking in and I should receive all new ACDelco solenoids and new filter on the 10th. I will probably take it in during that week and I should have it back in a day or so. I’m really happy with the quality of the Sonnax parts and if they work half as good as they look I should be in great shape. I’m going with BorgWarner HE clutches and Kolene or The factory steels. I think the BW part number is 74100D for the.067 frictions and I’m still searching for the steels. I think I will call it my 4L77E.

Quick Reply: My 2007 h2