Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2003 H2 climate control just stopped working. Lights up but buttons don’t respond

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 01:08 PM
Default 2003 H2 climate control just stopped working. Lights up but buttons don’t respond

This is a new odd problem. I have never had a problem with the climate control before. It worked three days ago. It rained a lot last night I started the car up everything else worked I went to turn on the air conditioner and the climate control didn’t respond to any of my requests. I pushed every button on it and it never lit up or did anything. When I turn the headlights on though all the buttons light up but the display screen shows nothing. When I push the buttons nothing happens. It is blank.
I was wondering if anybody else has ever had this problem and what it ended up being. Once the weather clears up I’ll check the fuse. Is it common for them to just go out? Thank you so much. Here is a picture of it with the headlights on so you can see that the buttons and temperature hot cold indicator still light up but no display.

Last edited by Fonzie; 05-23-2022 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:44 PM

Ugh. Did your dog chew it and the bezel surround? Or do you just wear punk rings with spikes? LOL!

There may be 2 circuits inside, but not sure.
Checking fuses would indeed be the first step. Interior lighting may be on a separate circuit, and that is why the buttons still backlight.

Old 05-23-2022, 06:44 PM

Fixed!!!!! New module solved it. I check all the fuses and relays and I even checked various ground connections. All we’re good. I was 90% sure it was the module but wanted to be even more sure.
So maybe this will help some of you guys down the road. I went ahead and removed the module and tested the harness connector.

Terminal B7 is battery voltage. It tested good.
B5 is ignition key on and it had voltage with key on.

I then tested all of the grounds with continuity. B9 and A8. All good.

Grabbed a new one from the parts store. Plugged it in. Perfect. Works great.

They can just work one day and not at all the next.

Old 05-23-2022, 09:00 PM

Good that you got it fixed so quickly.

What is a "module"? Are you talking about a new HVAC control panel, ie. the part in your photo, or some other inline module?

And if so, did you buy a Dorman brand? OEM are really pricey.