Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

O2 Sensor B1,S1 Code AND Brake Lights Out? Coincidence?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 08:49 AM
Default O2 Sensor B1,S1 Code AND Brake Lights Out? Coincidence?

Ok, I've read every web page on Google about this and I'm still coming up empty. P0153 and p0053 came on in my 2005 Hummer h2. Took it to the mechanic and he replaced my O2 sensor. Light came back on shortly after install. Same code, p0153. Mechanic acted clueless. I also happen to realize all of my brake lights are out with the exception of the top third light. I've checked every single fuse on this car and every single one of them are intact. Some of the information I received from Google said there is a correlation between the oxygen sensors and the brake lights and it's most likely a fuse but again, I have zero blown fuses anywhere in the car. Anyone care to throw a hypothesis into the mix? Any responses are greatly appreciated!

Old 05-19-2022, 09:53 AM

Old 05-20-2022, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Arupton
Ok, I've read every web page on Google about this and I'm still coming up empty. P0153 and p0053 came on in my 2005 Hummer h2. Took it to the mechanic and he replaced my O2 sensor. Light came back on shortly after install. Same code, p0153. Mechanic acted clueless. I also happen to realize all of my brake lights are out with the exception of the top third light. I've checked every single fuse on this car and every single one of them are intact. Some of the information I received from Google said there is a correlation between the oxygen sensors and the brake lights and it's most likely a fuse but again, I have zero blown fuses anywhere in the car. Anyone care to throw a hypothesis into the mix? Any responses are greatly appreciated!
So to augment what Hummerz posted there is this:-
The heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) must reach operating temperature to provide an accurate voltage signal. A heating element inside the HO2S minimizes the time required for the sensor to reach operating temperature. Voltage is provided to the heater by the ignition 1 voltage circuit through a fuse. With the engine running, ground is provided to the heater by the HO2S heater low control circuit, through a low side driver within the powertrain control module (PCM). The PCM commands the heater ON or OFF to maintain a specific HO2S operating temperature range. The PCM determines the temperature by measuring the current flow through the heater. When the heater is in the ON state, the PCM will pulse the heater OFF for a duration of 50 ms, once per second. The PCM calculates the heater resistance on a cold start. This diagnostic will only run once per ignition cycle. If the PCM detects that the heater calculated resistance is not within the expected range, the following DTCs will set:

• DTC P0053 for HO2S bank 1 sensor 1

The key things here are:
  • P0053 is Bank 1 Sensor 1, whereas P0153 is Bank 2 Sensor 1 so different O2 Sensors
  • Also these are two different faults, P0153 is response time out-of-calibration, P0053 is out-of-range heater resistance
So which O2 sensor did your mechanic change?

Is it possible both sensors needed replacing?

Old 05-20-2022, 05:37 PM

Oh man wow...I didn't realize the two different codes were for two separate locations! Good catch on that, I definitely appreciate that info!! The Hummer threw both codes originally, but my cheap, crappy Amazon Chinese knock off obdII scanner listed BOTH codes being bank 1, sensor 1! So I assumed it was correct. Since changing the bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor, the only code showing now is 0153, which I now know is bank TWO, sensor 1 if that's correct?

I'm still baffled as to why none of my rear brake lights work on the sides, but the top third light still functions, as does my rear left running/brake light on the rear bumper. Still wondering if that's somehow connected to the o2 issues, although I realize that's unlikely..

Either way, I definitely appreciate the help!

Originally Posted by oceanbrave
The heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) must reach operating temperature to provide an accurate voltage signal. A heating element inside the HO2S minimizes the time required for the sensor to reach operating temperature. Voltage is provided to the heater by the ignition 1 voltage circuit through a fuse. With the engine running, ground is provided to the heater by the HO2S heater low control circuit, through a low side driver within the powertrain control module (PCM). The PCM commands the heater ON or OFF to maintain a specific HO2S operating temperature range. The PCM determines the temperature by measuring the current flow through the heater. When the heater is in the ON state, the PCM will pulse the heater OFF for a duration of 50 ms, once per second. The PCM calculates the heater resistance on a cold start. This diagnostic will only run once per ignition cycle. If the PCM detects that the heater calculated resistance is not within the expected range, the following DTCs will set:

The key things here are:
  • P0053 is Bank 1 Sensor 1, whereas P0153 is Bank 2 Sensor 1 so different O2 Sensors
  • Also these are two different faults, P0153 is response time out-of-calibration, P0053 is out-of-range heater resistance

Old 05-20-2022, 06:45 PM

So I believe that is correct and to confirm I've cut+pasted these directly from the manual:-

• DTC P0153 HO2S Slow Response Bank 2 Sensor 1

Looking at the O2S circuits, interestingly both up-stream sensor 1's (heaters) share the same fuse, which is O2A 15AMP (under the hood) nothing else shares this O2S power circuit.

The control for these go directly to the PowerTrain Control Module on separate Pins.

On the face of it there seems to be no correlation the the brake lights, that could be a separate issue.

Regarding the Stop Lamps at the moment I only find 3, the two rear ones which share a common circuit and the center high. I'm still looking into these...

Old 05-20-2022, 07:55 PM

Old 05-20-2022, 07:56 PM

Thank you so much for all your help and willingness to help me figure this out! I really appreciate all the effort!

Looks like I'll be ordering another O2 sensor and proceeding from there.

Any time I've had a brake light out it's always been because someone (not me, I've learned how to handle my Hummer lol) has slammed the back hatch down and dislodged the bulbs. But upon inspection, all were houses properly, which led me to thinking it was possibly a fuse, but all fuses were in tact and clean. Hmm... I'll keep trying to figure it out (inspection time, hence my worrying slightly more than usual).

Again, I sincerely appreciate all the help! You've answered more for me in your responses than a mechanic I actually paid for that's gotten me nowhere so far! 😡🙄

Old 05-20-2022, 08:28 PM

DTC P0053
Looking at the O2S circuits, interestingly both up-stream sensor 1's (heaters) share the same fuse, which is O2A 15AMP (under the hood) nothing else shares this O2S power circuit.

Old 05-21-2022, 05:34 AM

"I'm still baffled as to why none of my rear brake lights work on the sides, but the top third light still functions, as does my rear left running/brake light on the rear bumper. Still wondering if that's somehow connected to the o2 issues, although I realize that's unlikely.."

Re Stop Lamps
Not 100% on this, but so far I can only find 3 stop lamps in the wiring diagram, all off which are effectively linked together (see attached pdf)
  1. "CENTER HIGH MOUNTED STOP LAMP"
  2. "LEFT TAIL/STOP LAMP"
  3. "RIGHT TAIL/STOP LAMP"

As you didn't mention your Tail Lamps not working, so this suggests it's probably not a ground issue.

For stop lamps on the sides do you mean the rear marker lamps?

If so, these only connect to the turn signal circuit unless there are some aftermarket mods.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
STOP LAMPS CIRCUIT.pdf (909.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-21-2022, 07:49 AM

Did you check the light bulbs? I don’t see how O2 sensors have anything to do with break lights not working. If the fuses are good, check the bulbs and wire harness. Get a voltmeter and check for power.

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor B1,S1 Code AND Brake Lights Out? Coincidence?