PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scratched windows?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Default Scratched windows?

I did a search and didn't find anything, but I'm looking for some input here.

I just looked at 2003 H2 and everything looked good except for the two front windows. The rears might have the same issues, but don't get pt up and down as often, so it hasn't shown up yet.

Anyway, the passenger window has scratches all over the outside and looks like it was caused by the windows going up and down. The driver window looks similar, but it scratched on the inside where the tint is.

Could there just be crap down inside the door causing this? ANybody here had the same issues? How hard is it to pull the door apart to try to clean anything anything that might be in there and how much is new glass? I'm not sure if the driver window is all the way into the glass or just the tint. The passenger window is definitely the glass and needs to be replaced.

There isn't any evidence (dirt, mud, scrapes, dents, etc) under the truck indicating off-roading, but it definitely seems like mud or grit was on the windows at some point and they were rolled down. Then the crap got stuck and is now scratching the heck out of the windows.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by TowDawg
I did a search and didn't find anything, but I'm looking for some input here.

I just looked at 2003 H2 and everything looked good except for the two front windows. The rears might have the same issues, but don't get pt up and down as often, so it hasn't shown up yet.

Anyway, the passenger window has scratches all over the outside and looks like it was caused by the windows going up and down. The driver window looks similar, but it scratched on the inside where the tint is.

Could there just be crap down inside the door causing this? ANybody here had the same issues? How hard is it to pull the door apart to try to clean anything anything that might be in there and how much is new glass? I'm not sure if the driver window is all the way into the glass or just the tint. The passenger window is definitely the glass and needs to be replaced.

There isn't any evidence (dirt, mud, scrapes, dents, etc) under the truck indicating off-roading, but it definitely seems like mud or grit was on the windows at some point and they were rolled down. Then the crap got stuck and is now scratching the heck out of the windows.
Scratches on a window is sometimes a tell tell sign that it has been offroaded. When they get mud all over it, they will roll the window down and all the little rocks and stuff will get caught between the seal and the window causing scratches.

I would look further into the truck to make sure it is ok. If the truck is cleaned up then the damage is already done and it wont happen anymore. Just hose those seals at the bottom real good and make sure it is cleaned.

Good Luck!

Old 12-14-2010, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the response. I went and looked at it again and all 4 windows have scratches in the glass. I'll pass and look for another one. Even if there isn't any damage to truck from being off road, the windows would drive me nuts and it's not worth having to replace all 4 windows and worry about there still being crap in there to scratch the new ones.
As gas prices keep climbing, the H2 prices will probably drop a little more anyway.
I just missed a beautiful one in Birmingham by a few days. I'll find another one I really like instead of just jumping on one because it's local and convenient.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:35 PM

Thought your screen name looked familiar..

When I fist started reading your thread, I thought that the felt guides that position the window had failed, but the scratches only appear in a line about 1 inch wide vertically up/down the window. Since your scratches are all over the place, dirt would be my next guess..

Good luck on finding a truck, they're big and slow, but I love it! (it's no TT Viper)

Old 12-17-2010, 08:29 PM

Check this out. http://nashville.craigslist.org/ctd/2112741105.html

There seems to be several nice ones in the Nashville area. I looked at several H2's before getting mine. You sound picky just like me. I ended up with a 2007 All black and loaded. Just keep looking.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:26 AM

What's up Andy? Yeah, I need a big, lumbering vehicle as well.
This site sure doesn't have the activity of the Viper sites, but seems like it's full of good people.

Jeeps,

Thanks for the link. That same place a nice looking Burgundy one as well wit the rear tire swing-arm (which I really want). I need to make it over to Nashville and check them out. Other than that, I've pretty much exhausted all search options within a couple hundred miles of me. Might just need to wait a couple of weeks and start over.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:01 PM

The dealer is close by me. Let me know if you want me to check it out for you.
-

Old 12-19-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by No more Jeeps
The dealer is close by me. Let me know if you want me to check it out for you.
-
I appreciate that. It definitely needs to be in decent shape, but it will depend on what kind of deal on trading the BMW as well. I just bought it as kind of an impulse buy, so I'm not going to take a bath on trading it in after a few months.