PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who will buy our beloved HUMMER brand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Default RE: Who will buy our beloved HUMMER brand?

LMAO

Old 06-04-2008, 10:30 PM

ORIGINAL: alrock

Neil,

The Hummer brand will stay around. The mpg reputation is worse than the reality, especially when it comes to the H3. Have you looked at the real world mpg of the Jeeps, from current Jks to the old CJs? Especially when you talk lifted, big tires, etc.

GM has already said that the H2 will go away at the end of this life cycle. That would leave the H3, H3T, HX? and others to be developed to fill in the product line. 4WD vehicles always have a lower mpg than their 2WD counterparts but they have a role both in life and in hobby. Check out fueleconomy.gov and see what other 4WD vehicles that don't have an mpg stigma really get - Ford Explorer, Jeep Wrangler, Commander, Cherokee, Nissan Pathfinder, VW Toureg, Honda Pilot. Check out other competition like the small Saturn Vue, Volvo S80 AWD. Yes, some are higher than the H3 in average mpg but they are close - and I'll trade off a few mpg for the offroad capability of my H3.

Yes, I did buy my H3 for the offroad capability. I preferred it over the competition for the build quality, style and luxury aspects. I didn't want an SUV just to have an SUV or for the higher seating position or to impress a valet or anyone at the mall parking lot. I bought it for function and right now, there's little available that will combine the function and desirability of the H3, let alone at a significantly better mpg.

Sure there may be reduced soccer-mom sales but the heart of the brand will be there. People still buy and use their beloved items, even when expensive to own. Examples include the Jeeps that I mentioned; power boats; personal watercraft (and the trucks to tow them), the new Dodge Challenger; muscle cars from Barrett-Jackson; large homes with large utility bills. Jeeps, pickups, Land-Rover - they all made it through the last gas crisis. Hummer's nameplate is worth too much to go away.
Well said alrock!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Yep

Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: alrock

Neil,

The Hummer brand will stay around. The mpg reputation is worse than the reality, especially when it comes to the H3. Have you looked at the real world mpg of the Jeeps, from current Jks to the old CJs? Especially when you talk lifted, big tires, etc.

GM has already said that the H2 will go away at the end of this life cycle. That would leave the H3, H3T, HX? and others to be developed to fill in the product line. 4WD vehicles always have a lower mpg than their 2WD counterparts but they have a role both in life and in hobby. Check out fueleconomy.gov and see what other 4WD vehicles that don't have an mpg stigma really get - Ford Explorer, Jeep Wrangler, Commander, Cherokee, Nissan Pathfinder, VW Toureg, Honda Pilot. Check out other competition like the small Saturn Vue, Volvo S80 AWD. Yes, some are higher than the H3 in average mpg but they are close - and I'll trade off a few mpg for the offroad capability of my H3.

Yes, I did buy my H3 for the offroad capability. I preferred it over the competition for the build quality, style and luxury aspects. I didn't want an SUV just to have an SUV or for the higher seating position or to impress a valet or anyone at the mall parking lot. I bought it for function and right now, there's little available that will combine the function and desirability of the H3, let alone at a significantly better mpg.

Sure there may be reduced soccer-mom sales but the heart of the brand will be there. People still buy and use their beloved items, even when expensive to own. Examples include the Jeeps that I mentioned; power boats; personal watercraft (and the trucks to tow them), the new Dodge Challenger; muscle cars from Barrett-Jackson; large homes with large utility bills. Jeeps, pickups, Land-Rover - they all made it through the last gas crisis. Hummer's nameplate is worth too much to go away.
Are you sure I didn't write this? I couldn't have said it better! [sm=usa.gif]

Old 06-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Well we have so many literary genuises here it is hard to tell who writes what.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:10 AM

why hummer and not Jeep

Old 06-05-2008, 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep
Are you sure I didn't write this? I couldn't have said it better! [sm=usa.gif]
You did write it - and you'll never find that keystroke logger I put on your computer [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 06-05-2008, 09:32 AM

I wrote an email to the reporter. I thought I was eloquent and made some good points, then I read alrocks post. I should have never emailed him. *sigh*

Rob

Old 06-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Because there are a lot fewer Hummer owners than Jeep owners and it is easier, and safer, to demonize a small group. Why not include the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, Hemi Chargers, G wagons, Titan trucks.............cause they drive those.