PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who will buy our beloved HUMMER brand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Default Who will buy our beloved HUMMER brand?

If General Motors is "reviewing" the HUMMER brand to decide it's fate, we areleft to wonder if we're all the proud owners of of the next Studebaker. (For you youngsters in the audience http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker) I have watched the value of my H3 plummet in the last few months faster than Bill Clinton accosting a young intern, yet I still love my H3. I know the American public is known to exhibit some knee jerk reactions, like rushing out to buy a Civic because gas has gotten higher than Cooter Brown. But gas will not always be this high according to most analysts. The price has been driven up by hedge fund traders and a litany of other reasons including China and India. China, which price supports gasoline through the government, will not always be able to spend billions buying it's citizens gasoline. America, is buying thousands of small cars and motorcycles, will cause a surplus of gasoline which will run the price down. All of these things combined along with other world economic factors will cause oil to fall to around the $100.00 mark per barrel. While not a deal, it won't kill us at the pump unless you're one of the unfortunate souls who's had their job shipped to China!

All of this convoluted rant brings me right back to where I started. GM says, in a knee jerk reaction to sales, remake HUMMER into another image or just sell it off. We all know 14-15 MPG is NOT a gas hog, MANY other vehicles get much worse mileage and the poor Bass Turds who bought Yoy-Tota FJ's are still having to buy premium gas. We're not that bad off! My red neck friends who went out and bought F-350 Diesel Fords are crying the blues right now so I don't feel bad about gas prices opposed to diesel. The H3 is not a Civic or a Ford Escape but you can't pull your camper with a Prius and your neighbor will need you topull his Honda Pilot off the boat ramp this summer.

So in conclusion to end this flight of ideas and stop my psychotic episode, what is your best guess as to what GM will do with HUMMER?

Old 06-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Default RE: Who will buy our beloved HUMMER brand?

Sell the Brand to Ford and Base the H2 off of the F250 and give it a Powerstroke or......
Sell the Brand to Chrysler and Base the H2 off of the Ram2500 and give it the Cummins

Old 06-04-2008, 11:57 AM

Instead of jumping to selling the brand, GM ought to add cylinder deactivation and a six speed auto. The 5.3 already has cylinder deactivation in some GM models, why not the H3? A 6 speed auto would improve the I5 and v8 milage. I think these improvements would bring our MPG up to the 17-20 range (maybe more) which is above most of the mid size suv's out there. Hell Ford saw a 3 mpg average improvement by just adding the 6 speed to the Expy w/out cylinder deactivation.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:13 PM

With the new government restrictions coming out to have a 35mpg avg. between all your models that's going to be very tuff to di as a stand alone company. However having said that I would like to see AMGenreal buy it back. They already have the H2 factory which is now going to be used as a Standard Taxi Cab assembly line. So they could use that plant for the H2/H3 and maybe the H4.
My only hope is that this line contiues. There is a need for top of the class off road vehicles and the Hummer brand does it in style.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RealJeep

If General Motors is "reviewing" the HUMMER brand to decide it's fate, we areleft to wonder if we're all the proud owners of of the next Studebaker. (For you youngsters in the audience http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker) I have watched the value of my H3 plummet in the last few months faster than Bill Clinton accosting a young intern, yet I still love my H3. I know the American public is known to exhibit some knee jerk reactions, like rushing out to buy a Civic because gas has gotten higher than Cooter Brown. But gas will not always be this high according to most analysts. The price has been driven up by hedge fund traders and a litany of other reasons including China and India. China, which price supports gasoline through the government, will not always be able to spend billions buying it's citizens gasoline. America, is buying thousands of small cars and motorcycles, will cause a surplus of gasoline which will run the price down. All of these things combined along with other world economic factors will cause oil to fall to around the $100.00 mark per barrel. While not a deal, it won't kill us at the pump unless you're one of the unfortunate souls who's had their job shipped to China!

All of this convoluted rant brings me right back to where I started. GM says, in a knee jerk reaction to sales, remake HUMMER into another image or just sell it off. We all know 14-15 MPG is NOT a gas hog, MANY other vehicles get much worse mileage and the poor Bass Turds who bought Yoy-Tota FJ's are still having to buy premium gas. We're not that bad off! My red neck friends who went out and bought F-350 Diesel Fords are crying the blues right now so I don't feel bad about gas prices opposed to diesel. The H3 is not a Civic or a Ford Escape but you can't pull your camper with a Prius and your neighbor will need you topull his Honda Pilot off the boat ramp this summer.

So in conclusion to end this flight of ideas and stop my psychotic episode, what is your best guess as to what GM will do with HUMMER?

Very well said. Now with everybody's eyes on the theory that fuel stocks are being driven by speculators, it's only a matter of time before everybody starts panicing and selling off their fuel stocks. There are alot of articles on the web about why the speculators are driving prices up, having to do with international trading, etc.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/05/30/news...ion=2008053110

Read the entire article and it explains how and why gas prices are what they are. It's a shame things happening outside the country cause our prices to increase at the hands of international stock trading.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:59 PM

ORIGINAL: RealJeep

If General Motors is "reviewing" the HUMMER brand to decide it's fate, we areleft to wonder if we're all the proud owners of of the next Studebaker. (For you youngsters in the audience http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker)
Interesting to note -- the Hummer driving academy is on the old Studebaker proving grounds...

Old 06-04-2008, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: josh1899

Instead of jumping to selling the brand, GM ought to add cylinder deactivation and a six speed auto.
H2 has 6spd auto now, and H3 is getting it next year...(MY 2010)

Old 06-04-2008, 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Trey124

However having said that I would like to see AMGenreal buy it back.
It's too bad they're infrastructure is really only setup to produce and service vehicles, and I use the term 'service' loosely when it comes to H1 repair and warranty. If they had the know-how to run an entire brand (sales, marketing, etc) they would have kept the goldmine to themselves in the late 90s. If they tried to buy it, it would be a disaster to try and set up distribution lines worldwide, establish dealer agreements nationally and internationally -- there's no way.

I also don't think they have the capital.

HUMMER is growing internationally, so look for international buyers would a strong presence in the middle east/asia.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Hummer Guy

ORIGINAL: Trey124

However having said that I would like to see AMGenreal buy it back.
It's too bad they're infrastructure is really only setup to produce and service vehicles, and I use the term 'service' loosely when it comes to H1 repair and warranty. If they had the know-how to run an entire brand (sales, marketing, etc) they would have kept the goldmine to themselves in the late 90s. If they tried to buy it, it would be a disaster to try and set up distribution lines worldwide, establish dealer agreements nationally and internationally -- there's no way.

I also don't think they have the capital.

HUMMER is growing internationally, so look for international buyers would a strong presence in the middle east/asia.

That is, if they sell at all..

Old 06-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Hummer Guy

H2 has 6spd auto now
Which doesn't help you overallwhen you have to fill it with high test....

Quick Reply: Who will buy our beloved HUMMER brand?