PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

switching to 4L80E?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:31 PM

That site is definitely interesting, the 6-speed 4L80E is definitely interesting!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:30 AM

I went the cheap route and got everything from the wrecking yard. I was hoping that would be easier because I didn't know what I would need. I paid $2,500 at the wrecking yard for the transmission (4L80E, This is the heavy duty 4 speed transmission) the transfer case, the complete wiring harness, the 4x4 push button controller and 4x4 computer, both drivelines, the crossmember, the front differential, the mounts for the front differential(they cut them out just in case I needed them, and the cooler lines. I paid $200 for the new flash on the computer. I paid $275 to get the front differential cut and rewelded.

I worked on it one whole weekend putting the transmission, transfer case, and the transmission wiring in. I left out the front driveline for awhile so none of the front end was done in the beginning. The next week I gave my computer to the flashing guy. The next weekend I pulled out almost the entire dash connecting the transfer case to the 4x4 computer and the push button selector. After the wiring was done I waited 3 weeks for the computer to come back. The guy had to pull the old program, email it to another guy to cut the transmission program and add the new transmission program then get it emailed back, then install it onto the factory computer.

I drove it this way for the rest of the summer with just rear wheel drive. By the end of the summer I found a 4x4 fabricator that would cut the differentials and do the swap. I pulled the differential and took it to the shop. I did find out that when you pull the half shafts you have to find some donor half shafts to use the outters to hold the hubs together. I drove around without them for awhile and found that the passenger hub separated and the only thing holding my wheel on was the brake rotor.. After the differential was done I put everything together and used the silverado front driveshaft .

So most of the work was done within the first month and everything could have been done if it was planned out better, but this was the first time that I tried anything like this and didn't really know where to start or if I would have to give up and put everything back how it was.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 AM

"LoJac963 That site is definitely interesting, the 6-speed 4L80E is definitely interesting!"

I think you are confusing the posts, or mixing them together. There are two posts one says that it would be interesting to put a 6 speed trans in the hummer and the other post I can't read except where it says 6L80E, but nobody said anything retarded like the 4L80E was a 6 speed.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:37 PM

I'm from Russia, St. peterburga.skinul link to a site like this who can already do?

Old 03-13-2014, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 480LE H2
"LoJac963 That site is definitely interesting, the 6-speed 4L80E is definitely interesting!"

I think you are confusing the posts, or mixing them together. There are two posts one says that it would be interesting to put a 6 speed trans in the hummer and the other post I can't read except where it says 6L80E, but nobody said anything retarded like the 4L80E was a 6 speed.

Yes I can read and no I didn't confuse the posts. Maybe READ the website that was posted and not be so quick to jump on other members...

This Six Speed 4L80E transmission has automatic shifts and a heavy duty / performance lock-up torque converter (#L80-LU). Starting with one of the strongest transmissions on the planet we add a Transgo stage two shift kit, Red Eagle clutches, RedEagle PowerPacks for the forward, intermediate and direct clutches, Kolene steels, Red Eagle clutches for the overdrive and overrun clutch sets. It has a Carbon fiber band and the 16 element intermediate sprag is replaced with a 34 element sprag. Rated up to 1000 horse power depending on upgrades. Every Six Speed Bionic 80 transmission is tested in our transmission dyno and comes with a PATC shirt. No trade-in needed on this one for $6739.00. The Five Speed Bionic 80 transmission starts at $5680.00. Add $150.00 for LS1 type bell housing bolt pattern. Add $554.00 for lock-up torque converter rated at 1,000 horse power (#88). Comes with a deep cast aluminum pan, dipstick and PCS transmission controller with wiring. The 6 Speed Bionic 80 has a 2.98 first gear set and the 5 Speed Bionic 80 has a 2.48 to 1 gear set. Order the hardened input shaft if you have nitrous. For years now people have been replacing the weaker 4L60E transmission with the stronger 4L80E transmission, well the time has come for you to have an even better 6-speed 4L80E. This transmission and torque converter can be built for gas or diesel.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:22 PM

I applaud the effort!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:27 PM

"Yes I can read and no I didn't confuse the posts. Maybe READ the website that was posted and not be so quick to jump on other members..."

Ok, you're right I didn't follow the website. The post was in a different language and I didn't want to find out if it sent me to some website that would infect my computer or something. I am sorry for jumping to conclusions. Thank you for posting the ad from the website.