Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   switching to 4L80E? (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/switching-4l80e-32293/)

EnviroCon6 01-08-2014 06:49 PM

switching to 4L80E?

Hi All,
Has anyone done the conversion to the 3/4 ton tranny? how much is involved in switching to a 4L80E?

It seems pretty easy with changing out the TCM, but what mount modifications need to be made? and are they the same length/size/Spline?

thanks for any advice.

elkgrunt 01-08-2014 08:23 PM

I am very interested in this also.

atvspeed4 01-08-2014 09:14 PM

Everything you need here:

4L60E to 4L80E Swap, Attention 4WD Owners with Superchargers

calif phil 01-09-2014 08:15 AM

There are some neat products in that link. I think if I went to the trouble of swaping to a better transmission I would want to go with the 6 speed trans like the 2008 and up H2's
if that was possible.

EnviroCon6 01-10-2014 02:15 PM

its all there....wow

thank fellas its all there!!!

the spacers, the crossmember and the harness override...

awesome

480LE H2 02-11-2014 07:09 PM

4l80e

I switched out the transmission, transfer case, and had the front end modified so that it now has the running gear from a 3500 Silverado 4x4 dually. The hardest part was changing the wiring over, I had the wrecking yard pull the entire harness from the silverado and took what I needed from there. If you know someone that can flash the computer I have an email with the h2 specs with a 4L80e trans spliced in.

The transmission and transfer case fit very easily in the H2 I didn't even cut the stock crossmember, you only need to drill 2 holes towards the rear. You can chop the front extension of the cross member so that it doesn't touch the pan, or you can just add a few spacers to lift the transmission up a little.

I still have the factory H2 rear driveline in and haven't had any problems. It looks like it could be cut down an inch, but I've never heard it hit. It probably wouldn't even be a problem if the hummer had a lift

The front driveline from the silverado had to be used for the correct size to reach the front end.

The front end is special for the hummer the silverado front end will not just bolt in, but the hummer front end will not shift in and out of gear. What I did was have the local 4x4 shop cut the long tub in half on both axels, then weld the hummer outer onto the silverado inner. This allows the hummer mount to be on the shiftable tube. Then install the tube to the original hummer axel assembly.

The cooler lines will need to be reworked, I bought a new pair for a silverado and installed them to an aftermarket cooler.

I did get the silverado flex plate and spacer and used it in the install.

I think the rest is the wiring, it was a pain because I used the push button 4x4 from the silverado. If you take the harness all you need is time and a good wiring diagram.

Good luck let me know if you need any more advice.

elkgrunt 02-11-2014 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 480LE H2 (Post 308181)
I switched out the transmission, transfer case, and had the front end modified so that it now has the running gear from a 3500 Silverado 4x4 dually. The hardest part was changing the wiring over, I had the wrecking yard pull the entire harness from the silverado and took what I needed from there. If you know someone that can flash the computer I have an email with the h2 specs with a 4L80e trans spliced in.

The transmission and transfer case fit very easily in the H2 I didn't even cut the stock crossmember, you only need to drill 2 holes towards the rear. You can chop the front extension of the cross member so that it doesn't touch the pan, or you can just add a few spacers to lift the transmission up a little.

I still have the factory H2 rear driveline in and haven't had any problems. It looks like it could be cut down an inch, but I've never heard it hit. It probably wouldn't even be a problem if the hummer had a lift

The front driveline from the silverado had to be used for the correct size to reach the front end.

The front end is special for the hummer the silverado front end will not just bolt in, but the hummer front end will not shift in and out of gear. What I did was have the local 4x4 shop cut the long tub in half on both axels, then weld the hummer outer onto the silverado inner. This allows the hummer mount to be on the shiftable tube. Then install the tube to the original hummer axel assembly.

The cooler lines will need to be reworked, I bought a new pair for a silverado and installed them to an aftermarket cooler.

I think the rest is the wiring, it was a pain because I used the push button 4x4 from the silverado. If you take the harness all you need is time and a good wiring diagram.

Very interesting, you really have me thinking now.

AL Pal 02-11-2014 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by 480le h2 (Post 308181)
i switched out the transmission, transfer case, and had the front end modified so that it now has the running gear from a 3500 silverado 4x4 dually. The hardest part was changing the wiring over, i had the wrecking yard pull the entire harness from the silverado and took what i needed from there. If you know someone that can flash the computer i have an email with the h2 specs with a 4l80e trans spliced in.

The transmission and transfer case fit very easily in the h2 i didn't even cut the stock crossmember, you only need to drill 2 holes towards the rear. You can chop the front extension of the cross member so that it doesn't touch the pan, or you can just add a few spacers to lift the transmission up a little.

I still have the factory h2 rear driveline in and haven't had any problems. It looks like it could be cut down an inch, but i've never heard it hit. It probably wouldn't even be a problem if the hummer had a lift

the front driveline from the silverado had to be used for the correct size to reach the front end.

The front end is special for the hummer the silverado front end will not just bolt in, but the hummer front end will not shift in and out of gear. What i did was have the local 4x4 shop cut the long tub in half on both axels, then weld the hummer outer onto the silverado inner. This allows the hummer mount to be on the shiftable tube. Then install the tube to the original hummer axel assembly.

The cooler lines will need to be reworked, i bought a new pair for a silverado and installed them to an aftermarket cooler.

I think the rest is the wiring, it was a pain because i used the push button 4x4 from the silverado. If you take the harness all you need is time and a good wiring diagram.

the truck is worth the work you have done

mikola 03-12-2014 02:42 PM

Подскажите, монтаж опыт по передачи H2 4L65 6L80 вместо этого? http://www.tbmsport.com/6l80gm6spdin...omponents.html

Man1nboat 03-12-2014 09:02 PM

480LE... Wow... May I ask roughly the $$$ and how long this took? Good write-up