PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

4high lock not switching to 4high.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Default 4high lock not switching to 4high.

Hey guys does anyone knows how to disengage 4high lock to 4high on a H3 '06? I pressed the button it does lit up as if it was swicht back to, but it doesn't. I can tell when I'm turning it's harder to turn and it makes that noise. I tried it driving backward for 25 ft as it saids on the manual but no luck, and I'm afraid that I'll burn the trainy and the tranfers box. Please help.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:57 AM

The earlier tranfer cases had a plastic shift fork that was problematic and could cause the problem you're having. It was replaced with an aluminum fork in later models, but I don't have a part number. Not saying that's what it is, but might be one place to start looking.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned
Default a flashing lite??

im thinking of adding flashing leds to the lock leds so i cant drive down the road,AGAIN, in 4h lock.
lucky the road was slick but it scares me as a newbe to see how easy it is to BUMP a button and not notice it!!

thats a fault in the system

tom

Old 12-28-2009, 11:18 AM

check the buttons also, they stick some times which makes it think 2 buttons are being pressed.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:16 PM

I wish I would of found this post a few weeks earlier! I have the same problem and did not realize what was going on. Last night it was sooo tight to turn and was hearig the noice I got on here right away to look. I am going to try driving backwards and check the buttons but I fear the solution for mine will not be that simple now. Mine is a 2006 and the warranty is long gone. Look like I have a big repair bill coming. I do live in snowy conditions but the problem is the freeway driving I do a lot of. The freeways are dry. Sigh!

Any updates on this problem that anyone has heard of. If this is a known problem, should there not be a recall?

Happy New Year All!

DJ

Old 12-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Banned
Default flashing lites

i bought flasing leds at radio shack and wired them into the panel.

they are behind the "4up", "4dn" buttons but are not bright enuf in there to really get my attn.

so im thinking about running them outside, in the heat duct??, or somewhere on dash. in old cars i drilled anywhere but i dont own this yet!!! and may trade up.

yet this is impt to me, i dont want an "accident" and busted gears.

i may just hang them in duct and remove when/if sold.

i can post pics, with advice, how.

its kind of tricky soldering and my first try is not too pretty!

tom

any ideas welcome

Old 12-31-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
i bought flasing leds at radio shack and wired them into the panel.

they are behind the "4up", "4dn" buttons but are not bright enuf in there to really get my attn.

so im thinking about running them outside, in the heat duct??, or somewhere on dash. in old cars i drilled anywhere but i dont own this yet!!! and may trade up.

yet this is impt to me, i dont want an "accident" and busted gears.

i may just hang them in duct and remove when/if sold.

i can post pics, with advice, how.

its kind of tricky soldering and my first try is not too pretty!

tom

any ideas welcome
I am not sure how you can hit the 4lock buttons and not know it, it 's not like they are near any other buttons or are not marked clearly??? I don't see any "fault in the system" that you refer to other than operator error.

Last edited by largemouthbass; 12-31-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:20 PM
Banned
Default its real eazy

i call it a misteak or error!!

like mispelling

SOMEHOW completly unbeknownced ! to me , i got into high lock and didnt see it. i drove on slick roads lucky me till i noticed the light.

so like if i reach for radio controls and bump a button, im in trouble if im on pavement according to what i hear here and elsewhere,,,expensive problems.

regardless of how it happens if unnoticed, it can be trouble.

all im saying , for those who would like a warning is this:

i now have simplified the solution, its ONE bright flashing red led for EITHER mode, hi lock, or lo lock.

i currently have it hanging out the heat duct, ez to remove, but am thinking of drilling a hole to the right of the hi lock indicator, left of airbag indicator and build it in.

the main thing is that its simple and really gets my attn.

im not worried anymore and it was a fun challenge.

i may not pull engines anymore but i do love playing with cars!!

tom

Old 01-01-2010, 03:30 PM

This happened to me a few months ago. I bought a 2006 H3 back in April so I was lucky that it's still under warranty. It was stock in 4 high lock and would not change back even though the light was change back.

I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the plastic fork with the new metal one but they still informed me that it may not switch back the first time. Since then I have found that I normally have to do it a few times and reverse to make sure that it does.....it's actually very annoying having to do that, I find myself turning in a tight circle before I take off to make sure that it infact worked.

I did ask the dealer how much it would of cost me if it I didn't have the warranty and he said at least $1500 :-(

Old 01-07-2010, 03:13 AM

Just got my '07 out of the shop for this yesterday. It was the shift fork an collar on the t-case. A $900 repair, but covered under warranty.

Quick Reply: 4high lock not switching to 4high.