PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

STUPID QUESTION!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: STUPID QUESTION!!!

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

H1 hasfunctioning vents. The 2 and 3 have them for looks/cosmetics only.

There are snorkle kits for jeeps, I have not seen one for an H3 yet. The military has snorkles for the Humvee, and I do believe I have seen a snorkle on an H1??
Hey Doc? I don't think that is 100% correct there. If you feel under the passenger-side vent cover, there are small holes in there. If you put your ear up to the holes, you can hear inside the engine, as if you were listening inside the air box. I was told the passenger-side one is functional, but the driver's side isn't obviously. I would talk to your connections and find out for sure

Old 11-08-2007, 08:54 AM

non functional as part of the intake, on both 2 and 3. the intake on the 2 is on the side of the pass fender, the vents under the covers do nothing. i think the intake for the 3 is in the front of the fender, again far from the fake vent. they're for looks only to keep the familial lines similar, that's it.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:56 AM

No, they're PARTIALLY functional on the passenger side only. Pop one off and look, you can see into the fender-well where it draws it's air from. It's not much of a hole but a hole nonetheless. As for a snorkel kit...NOPE, not on the H3, it's not a HUMVEE by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:58 PM

I saw one on bully dog's H3

Old 11-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Alright yous guys, Shortbus and I are indeed correct. The 3's vents are nonfunctional. Says so in the manual...........find it and I'll give ya a cookie. Yes I know there is a hole from the filter intake box to the inner fender, which is open all the way back to the windshield. Dang near every other GM vehicle has an intake hole into the inner fender, ain't got a fake vent, and doesn't mean because the 3 has a fake vent it thereforeis functional.

Steve #1; you do point out another concern. I don't agree with the reverse suction theory (I suppose anything is possible, but I do not see that as the threat?), but driving in deep water, past the axel vent height, can let water in a differential, and that is not good for gear lubtucation, bearing life etc.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Like this..... but no where near the cover....

Old 11-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

H1s have functioning vents at the hood level and they will accept after market snorkles. The H2 and H3 models have non-functioning cosmetic "fake" vents.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

Alright yous guys, Shortbus and I are indeed correct. The 3's vents are nonfunctional. Says so in the manual...........find it and I'll give ya a cookie. Yes I know there is a hole from the filter intake box to the inner fender, which is open all the way back to the windshield. Dang near every other GM vehicle has an intake hole into the inner fender, ain't got a fake vent, and doesn't mean because the 3 has a fake vent it thereforeis functional.

Steve #1; you do point out another concern. I don't agree with the reverse suction theory (I suppose anything is possible, but I do not see that as the threat?), but driving in deep water, past the axel vent height, can let water in a differential, and that is not good for gear lubtucation, bearing life etc.
I'm not sure about the H3; I do know that the suction theory is very real. I found this out the hard way in the Army. We were fording through some fender high water and we hit alittle fast, when I let off of the gas too fast to slow down it sucked water up the pipe and (I was told) it caused to to throw a rod or something like that. I was told this by the mechanics, so who knows. I just know that they know more about the workings of it than I do.
During training they always told us to not get deeper than the bottom of the hood and do not make sudden accelerator movement while in water. (Without the snorkel)

Old 11-10-2007, 08:54 PM

but none of this means that the fake intake vents on the side will take the place of the exhaust, let alone the intake. they're fake, the exhaust comes out one place, the tailpipe, and that's it. easy in, easy out. ok, now i'm done

Old 11-12-2007, 02:34 PM

OK...So we haveconcluded that the Air Intake Vents are indeed FAKE. So where does the air come from that's inside of the right front fender? Surely the air that's on it's way to the airbox comes from somewhere, where is it drawn in from on the outside?

Quick Reply: STUPID QUESTION!!!