PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

STUPID QUESTION!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Default RE: STUPID QUESTION!!!

i had the same question but i figure you guys where going to pick on me lol THANX HEAVY HITTERFOR THE QUESTION

WE HAVE A LOT OF BIGMOUTH HERE BUT THEN AGAIN IM FROM NY SO THEY MIGHT BE PLAYING AROUND LOL AND WE TAKE THINKS SERIOUSLY

Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Very sensative moment.....................long pause....................deep breath, hold it......exhale.......................ah ah ah.

The H3 hood vents are nonfunctioning. You can run your exhaust underwater indefinitely, that is what a boat does perminently. Your engine is an air machine, as long as the intake can bring in air for combustion, the exhaust will be forced out thru the water and makes bubbles. The H3's electronics are roughly banked above the height of the top of your font fenderwell, and the intake is about the same place. The O Manual and press publications say 24" fording, you definitely do not want to go past that depth on purpose, there is a smallmargin of errorfactor for those .....oops, oh boy, ...situations.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:46 AM

Now do these vents serve no purpose on all hummers or just the H3...The only reason i question this is because when i see hummers with snorkles i see them usually come out of that area thats why i thought they served a purpose.....

Old 11-06-2007, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

H1 hasfunctioning vents. The 2 and 3 have them for looks/cosmetics only.

There are snorkle kits for jeeps, I have not seen one for an H3 yet. The military has snorkles for the Humvee, and I do believe I have seen a snorkle on an H1??

Old 11-06-2007, 08:14 AM

Just to add my two cents, you can go up to the 24" depth by going 5mph and keeping the bow wake in front of you. Don't go too slow or too fast and you'll be okay.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 AM

there are snorkel kits for the H1, but there's no point in making one for the H2 or H3 since it's not the intake that's the problem. the electronics will toast if you're in too deep, so it won't matter if you've got a snorkel or not. and dumbass was meant in the nicest way possible

Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 AM

I was reading the manual to my '08 H3 Alpha last weekend and, IIRC, it instructed to not allow the exhaust tip to become submerged. This makes some sense in that if the car stalled, reversion could suck water back in through the exhaust. Also, as header designers know, exhaust pulsesconsist ofboth positive and negative pressures due to the exhaust valve remaining open for a portion of the intake stroke as the piston descends. This is how exhaust scavenging is implemented.

Just my $.02

Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

I would not recommendturning off the engine with the tail pipe(s) under water. I wouldn't give a rat's butt if my pipes were submerged and engine running. I've seen every kind of vehicle imaginable with exhaust under water at boat launch ramps............with the engine running. Sometimes for 10-20 mins. (nimrods) at a time?

It be pretty hard to fordge 24" without the exhaust pipe being under the water surface???

Old 11-06-2007, 11:20 AM

I agree it would be darn near impossible to suck water back through the exhaust since it is such a long path. A shorter path, such as through open headers, though might be a problem. The intake equivalent of that, water injestion through the intake tract,is a relatively common event in low hp cars. It's been reported on several posts on the Corvette forum I frequent - the pictures of the devastation are never pretty. I would imagine an open header injestion would result in a similar result. I run a set of cutouts on one of my vettes but even that wouldn't generate enough vacuum to suck in enough water since they are just in front of the rear axle. Cutouts at the collectors, however . . . [sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 11-06-2007, 11:49 AM

well.. huh...

i have been in water up past the tires, and have filled my interior with water... guess im an idiot!

damn, it was sure fun though! i wish i had a pic, but heres a pic of the first time i went too deep....
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/100_2014.jpg
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...3/100_2013.jpg

and the second
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q...39cc5103fe.jpg
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...82b383d585.jpg

Quick Reply: STUPID QUESTION!!!