PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runs Hot - '06 H3

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Banned

no prob

Old 07-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 06PullUouT
I had a large write up about this a while ago because it bothered me. I did a lot of things to get the needle to stay in the middle but I have only half way solved my issue with the heat.

I went out looking at different vehicles my friends own and found a few things about other vehicles ranging from rear wheel drive cars to chevy trucks.

Facts:
1. The H3's radiators are so close together that you can barely fit a butter knife between them.
a. After looking at the other vehicles, there is a good 2-3 inches of space between the A/C rad and engine rad.

2. The H3 only has the engine fan pulling air through both radiators
a. 3/4 of the other vehicles had an electric fan in front pushing air while the engine fan sucked cause more air to pass over them.

3. The H3 transmission cooler on the bottom of the radiator is very small even compared to the smaller RWD cars I looked at.
a. Most of the other cars had an external stock tranny cooler.

4. My temp gauge never and I mean NEVER goes above the mid mark if the A/C is off. This includes if I am offroading up and down hills. Only when the A/C is on.

I am convinced that when the A/C is on those hot R-112 gasses going through the A/C radiator combined with little to no space in between them plus the inadequate tranny cooler on the bottom is the major contributor to this H3 cooling issue. I scanned the truck and at 100 degrees outside, A/C on high the scanner reads 230.

I am in the process of moving the A/C radiator back 3 inches and see what that does. If that helps I might think of including an electric fan similar to whats on the chevy trucks that will relay to the A/C system.
Good post... This has been a common problem lately! I bought my H3 new in 2008 and just really started to see this problem occur this year, in that the temps have been over 100. I now have a root cause to investigate.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Default other troubles

If you were right in your analisis every h3 built would have an overheating problem. Thank goodness you are wrong and most hummers never overheat.
I have never seen the pointer over 1/2,air on,103 degrees,idling in traffic.
Think about it; when NEW they are great in all ways,no problems.So what happens,to some as they are used and abused,things go wrong. It can be lots of things. Maybe just hose it out from the engine side if its crudded up,or,,,all the other stuff you can think of.
If the design was bad, they would all do it.

You have,,,other troubles

Old 07-09-2012, 03:02 PM

The temp gauge needle is a bit overwhelming to look at and "most" owners will freak out to see the needle move the half point.

But having a scan gauge now i can see actual temp in number and it always runs at full operating temp between 188 +/- 10 degrees.

Sometimes the needle shows slightly above the half but the scangauge still shows 190 degrees.