PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Picture Of Plastic Fork that breaks

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
i think i read that the fill hole placement has been corrected so the procedure on newer h3 is normal. ??
On vehicles produced after the VIN number I supplied have a new designed t/case. Not much of a difference, but enough to note the difference. And yes, the fill plug is located to allow for the correct amount of fluid.

even so, there must be a lot of repaired h3 with metal forks that have the "wrong" hole and could be refilled incorrectly in the fiuture,causing the "other damage" while the metal fork survives.
Not sure exactly when the plastic forks were removed and replaced with metal forks in BW production cycle. I will guess it was after the small redesign of the case, BUT I AM NOT SURE. And most parts manuals won't, they will only list a metal fork(s) since the metal fork(s) service back to t/cases with plastic forks.

buying a used h3,how would the typical new owner have any tiny clue about all this stuff we "veterans"! have been reading.

Unless they read the owner's manual, and if the added page is included, they don't. Or, if they do have a service manual, and they look at t/case fill procedures for 06 or 07, they will note the addition of added fluid for all 06, and for 07s prior to the VIN.

also its obvious that ALL h3 owners do not check in here every day like,,,some of us do!

btw some people will have the lube job done at unknowing "jiffy lube"shops.

Hate to say it so bluntly. But if someone goes to one of those 10 minute oil change shops, they might have a bigger problem. But, I would guess 99 percent of the kids who work in one of these places will simply pull a fill plug, then fill to the line and send the customer on his/her way with lack of fluid. I would guess maybe one percent might actually look up the procedured in one of the aftermarket service info providers. And since these providers get their information from GM, the information should be in their information.

Another thing to note is that if the t/case is never shifted to 4x4 lo lock, there is a chance the fork may never fail. It was proved to be more prevalent on vehicles that were seriously off roaded.

the biggest problem is unknowing people driving around on dry roads in lock mode wondering what that funny sound,jerking is??

Vehicle should never be driven on dry roads in any position, other than 4 hi normal. I have no data that shows the t/case will shift into any other position due to the lack of fluid or plastic shift forks (unless manually engaged into another position and it will not release back to normal position).

Not to say that if the decoder motor fails or a switch banks shorts out that the t/case might not shift the t/case into another mode without driver intervention.

and, one more time, i have a flashing red led to warn me if i accidently left the lock mode engaged.
i posted the info b 4. this simple addition would be a money maker for someone. im not doing it!
Your flashing red light sounds like a great idea for anyone; especially if driving off-road and engaging the switches for off road travel. I should probably take another look at it. I did drive about five miles on a highway one time in 4 hi lock, after leaving a trail. Lucky it was straight ahead with only very slight curves. Of course if I had had a 90 degree turn, I would have realized sooner that I was in 4 hi lock. But when I left the trail, it paralleled the highway and basically merged onto the pavement.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 PM

Tagged!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Banned

Not to say that if the decoder motor fails or a switch banks shorts out that the t/case might not shift the t/case into another mode without driver intervention.
right! and my red flasher is driven bu the lock mode leds on the dash,,,,AND they are controlled by the control circuits,NOT by the position the tc happens to be in,possibly by some accident of fate!! if a mechanical fault puts it in lock mode,my flasher would not know either.
i have always felt that the ,any indicator should show the actual condition. as an example,when in drive and the tranny downshifts, the dash display still shows drive,NOT THE DOWN SHIFTED GEAR!

the lock indicator should show the actual mechanical position,not what the controller is asking for...and gm really should have put my flasher in there!!

Old 02-15-2013, 04:36 PM

This is very informative and eye-opening stuff-thanks! I've got a '03 H2 with 160K+ miles with the TC stuck in hi4. Is the transfer case and fork part number the same for it as on the H3? If not, can someone give me the release fork part # for the H2?

Old 09-02-2016, 06:04 PM

I've been having this problem (car coming to a stop when turning), but I've already had the shift fork replaced. Any ideas?

Old 09-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TSLevin95
I've been having this problem (car coming to a stop when turning), but I've already had the shift fork replaced. Any ideas?
Yes, start a NEW Thread instead of digging up this OLD one.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:48 PM

sounds like youre in lock mode. check switches, backup, exercize the t case, try all modes on grass,,???

Old 09-11-2016, 10:42 AM

Did you happen to get the part number for the aluminum fork? I have experienced this issue on my 06, but luckily after turning it off and letting it sit and coming back, I was able to get it out of 4wheel high every time. I will be facing this repair, but since the aluminum piece came out with the 07 - 08 models, I need help with the correct part for the 06. My H3 is also a manual gearbox.