PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picture Of Plastic Fork that breaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Thumbs up Picture Of Plastic Fork that breaks

Hello all. I just had my 06 Hummer fixed. I had the problem with my transfer case not switching out of 4 high. Thanks to the help from people on this forum, I was able to figure out what was wrong quickly. When I went to the dealer, they wanted $1000 just to pull out the transfer case and then more to fix whatever was damaged. They made it sound like I would have damage inside and may need a $2500 transfer case.
I went to a private mechanic shop on the referral of a friend and got everything done for only $530 and they replaced this plastic piece of crap with the new allum or metal one that is used now. He told me this part will probably never fail again. This mechanic used to build transfer cases for GM for years, said the hummer transfer case was built very well. The guy was also discusted with this useless plastic fork. This should be a recall item but I guess unless a few people die from the failure, we will just be holding our breath. Appoximate millaege of failure for this part on my hummer was around 107,000 KM's

Anyway, I thought some on here would be interested on what this part actually looks like. The failure is in the inside of the curve which is hard to see in a picture, however, the piece that sheered off, which is sitting beside the fork is very easy to see. The mechanic told me that the filter screen for the oil pump in the transfer case was starting to get blocked with chips of plastic which he cleaned out.

Any questions, just ask.

Thanks All on this Forum

Attached Thumbnails Picture Of Plastic Fork that breaks-dsc00647-small-.jpg   Picture Of Plastic Fork that breaks-picture-001-small-.jpg   Picture Of Plastic Fork that breaks-picture-002-small-.jpg  
Old 01-16-2010, 07:10 AM

thanks for the heads up, man

I'll definitely remember this if a mechanic tries to charge me too much if mine ever breaks

Old 01-16-2010, 07:57 AM

Is the replacement piece you got through GM? Got a part number on it? or where to buy one... it seems like its a matter of time before it goes, and with the amount of wheelin I do it's probably gonna go soon...

Old 01-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Banned

yeah, id kinda like to own one!

Old 01-16-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by DAGKANA
Is the replacement piece you got through GM? Got a part number on it? or where to buy one... it seems like its a matter of time before it goes, and with the amount of wheelin I do it's probably gonna go soon...

Yes, it is a GM part Part # 1918 0438

Old 01-16-2010, 03:17 PM

It's amazing to me that some bean counter or whoever came up with the idea of a plastic shift fork in the t-case, ever got it into production. GM list on this part is $21.67, GMpartsdirect has it for $12.85. Was there a cost savings that drove this decision? or was it the .5 lb. weight savings that was the determining factor?

FYI if you have or are considering an 06 or 07 H3 this could be an issue. The only reason that I say could be is that according to the dealer that fixed mine (warranty) all of the 06's and about half way through 07 production had the plastic fork.

The worst of the situation is that unless you encounter a serious failure where the t-case won't shift out of lock and it is obvious, it can be hard to nail down that this is a problem. Mine wouldn't go into lock all the time and with the full time system that can be hard to sell to some people, especially ignorant repair techs/service writers and managers. I had trouble deciding for sure that it wasn't locking and I've been wheeling for over 20 years. The way to tell for sure is to jack both rear tires off the ground and put in lock, (hi or low) and see if it'll try to pull itself with just the front tires without the rear spinning. If it won't then it's not locking and you have shift fork issues and need to find a dealer that will repair under warranty if you have any left. The majority of 06's are out of warranty or getting close now.

This is definitely a know issue to some dealers and they won't even question fixing it. Some others for whatever reason will fight you on it. I don't understand that because it is a known issue to the point that gm/borg warner (borg warner manufactures this t-case) changed the fork in normal production, which to me means that if they submit this repair for a warranty claim I don't think that it would ever be questioned, and in this economy why would someone turn down paying work?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Banned
Default the really stupid news,,,

is that the light should NOT come on UNLESS the mechanical movement has been made!!

its a simple matter to put a sensor at each end of travel so you know positivly the move was made.
in something as critical as this it should have been done.

when the lights change now it must mean that something "should have" happened, no fork no move, not good

tom

Old 08-27-2010, 10:51 AM

Thanx alot for the info.A dealer here in Miami showed me a bulletin from GM that stated it was normal.I have just gotten the same news, 2000.00 for a transfer case. I owe u.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:39 PM

I am now having the same problem I think,72000 06 h3 stuck in 4 hi and it isd eating up the tires.It squeels and grabs when turning and sometimes makes a real big bag from the front. Also the dealer wants $1200 to change the fork but a local mechanic will do it for $275 labor but he is not familar with the h3.Can anybody change this fork,How difficult is it. I have been reading how to empty the oil and refill but the question I have is do all I have to do is change the fork and no others besides gasket.Do I just need to order the fork and some oil.Also I cant seem to find any free manuals to show step by step pitchures.They are alot to buy and not sure it is what I need.I have been messing around for 4 months then I found this site.Can someone please help this is my wifes h3 and I am about to be in the dog house I just dont want to buy a transfor case for $2200 just for a $12 part

Old 09-12-2010, 10:09 PM
Banned
Default if you drive AT ALL ON DRY PAVEMENT

you will soon trash the tranny and maybe the tc.
a while back someone trashed the tran so stop driving or get your credit card ready!!

you will wreck it soon, the svc manuals are cheaper than a tran,,$160,2 books 11 lbs! 6 in thick! lots to read,,too much to copy. let me add this.

when i test drove my h3 for first time the carmax salesman came with me. i wanted to "feel" the lo range gearing. he was very concerned,dry pavement, and said more than once,"DONT TURN THE WHEEL!" just a short distance,a hundred yards!
so if you drive around the block,like indy,4 left turns,you are stressing EVERYTHING in the drivetrain. 4 months?,,,damage is done, you're lucky it still moves. the guy said,pay now or pay later

tom

Last edited by drtom; 09-13-2010 at 03:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Picture Of Plastic Fork that breaks