PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Thread on Old Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Default New Thread on Old Shocks

Figured I'd start a new one to keep the old Oldsmobile-driving Doctor happy! Been reading a thread about Bilstein shocks and think this is the way I'm gonna go. Checked several sites and all seem okay: shox, eshocks, autoadvantage, summitracing. All reasonably priced. Anyone got another site?

Also looking at doing the stabilizer in Bilstein. Any other suggestions?

My trucks are basically street queens, but we do live in the mountains, 5 miles up a canyon forest road that is occasionally groomed by the county. But it can get rocky when it rains hard or snows. We don't do any wheeling so not looking for a gnarly/Jeep-killer setup, just dependable. No lift, factory wheels on Nittos.

So any other shocks for a non-wheelie? The snow and flu season is almost upon me so looking to get this done in the next few weeks. And I must choose wisely!

Old 11-06-2016, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by flyday58
So any other shocks for a non-wheelie? The snow and flu season is almost upon me so looking to get this done in the next few weeks. And I must choose wisely!

Rancho has good options for shocks/steering stabilizers. The most consistent OEM application I have seen is Bilsteins. Life-time warranty and quality stuff. I have read mostly good reviews. I will be purchasing a Bilstein steering stabilizer. Thought about the Rancho, which also seems to be a very common replacement brand, but I like the direct OEM fit of the Bilstein. I believe the Rancho steering stabilizers need a bracket of sorts to be attached. They don't fit in the exact same position as the OEM. When you go to replace the steering stabilizer, rent a pickle fork/ball joint remover from an auto parts store. The steering stabilizer has a tapered bolt and without the pickle fork, you won't be able to remove the bolt. Most people are able to change out the steering stabilizing fairly quickly. When I change mine out, I will let others know on the thread detailing my experience.

Another quality option for the shocks would be Fox. These shocks tend to be larger than OEM, diameter wise, and their dampening properties are vehicle specific. Sadly, most offer a 1 year warranty. Many H2 owners go with the Bilsteins for this reason.

Here is a link for Fox
Hummer Hummer H2 2009-2003 Front Shocks | FOX

I have dirtlogic fabtech on rear, but have a lift. Just bought fox reservoir for the fronts.

Old 11-06-2016, 02:09 PM

Thanks, I've had a fork ever since I started working on cars in the late 70s, so should be good there. I did see on another thread that the Rancho's reqire a bracket so that's out for me. Looking like Bilstein is the way to go.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:02 AM

Bilsteins are generally what everyone purchases. They're cheap, look good, and from the reviews seem to work the best.

I bought the Rancho steering stab a while back and immediately sold it when I realized you have to clamp the thing in to install it.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:12 AM

Thanks. Yep, started this thread after reading the tail end of the Bilstein thread where someone asked you about your DRL mod. Figured starting a new one would keep Doctor Oldsmobile happy!

Old 11-07-2016, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by LoJac963
I bought the Rancho steering stab a while back and immediately sold it when I realized you have to clamp the thing in to install it.
Thanks for confirming this. The pics that amazon/ebay etc have are deceiving. Without lots of additional research, you don't realize this until you have purchased the Rancho. The alignment shop that informed me of my busted steering stabilizer wants to use the Rancho and did not even mention the additional brackets. When I get around to it, I am going to buy the bilstein steering stabilizer and call it day.

Old 11-07-2016, 02:41 PM

I have the rancho steering stabilizer. It was a bitch to get on & off. The mounting hole is different on the 2008/2009 compared to first gen H2s. Even my local shop commented that manual removal was next to impossible b/c of the tapered mounting hole.
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-thread-35431/

For the 2008/2009, you do NOT need the clamping portions. Just the bolt, a few nuts & the steering stablizer. Things changed a bit after 2007 & I can confirm it.

I originally had the bilstein. It acts as a shock & not a dampener. I even called Bilstein about this. They got every quiet when I asked them why their "dampener" functions as a shock. Some have no issues, others have the Bilstein push the wheel to the right. I was one of those who had steering issues due to installing it.

I'm in the minority here, but I've blown out 6 Bilstein shocks on various vehicles where as I've never done this with any other shock. I'm talking under 20k miles of highway driving...

If you go Bilstein, I hope it works out. I haven't been as fortunate.

I love my Kings for on road use, but yo don't want to know how much they set me back.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:36 PM

^did you buy them from the same place or different shops for all 6 to blow out?

Old 11-11-2016, 09:59 AM

The first two that blew out were on the front of a Ram 2500. They were put on after I bought the truck. I purchased them online (maybe 4wheelparts, can't remember) & had them installed locally. This was back when anythign like this was over my head, sadly, lol. Strangely, I carried 1700ish lb for about 2800 miles & the rears were fine. The other 4 were on a Challenger RT. I believe all Challengers or at least the RTs come with Bilsteins. All 4 blew at the same time or within a week of each other. I had new tires mounted & when they lifted it, they said oil poured out of them like a water fall. Both were 100% city/highway driven & not abused.

Between that & the steering stabilizer debacle, I swore off the brand. That's why I'm running Kings. They were expensive, but I don't regret it at all. I can dial it in for offroad or highway in less than a minute.

As for the stabilizer, I don't know what I'd do. The Rancho is a nightmare to mess with. You need a pneumatic pickle fork to get it off. King/Fox only know how to make shocks, not dampeners, so I run into the same problem, plus they require clamps. A dual shock stability setup would work, but that's major $$$ & pointless.

Here's the reviews on amazon of the steering stabilizer: https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-33-1...er+h2+bilstein
You'll find my name there, but I am not the only person describing the vehicle as "pulling hard to the right." It seems to be a YMMV situation, but there's enough people that I know my experience is not an isolated incident.

RoH2 mentioned Fox shocks. I was seriously considering those, but King was easier to get a hole of, just takes forever since they wait is always long. Depending on wait times, I'd have no issues running fox shocks on an H2, especially if it's not offroad.

For fox, the 883-26-035 (remote res, adjusters) are looking at $1200 for the pair. Not cheap, but if they are made will, will probably never have an issue. They are also repairable & if they leak nitrogen, you an fill them, easily (like the kings).

The 980-24-959 are $225 each, so $450 for the pair. They don't have an adjuster, but a remote res. If you're on washboard roads, this (or really anything with a remote res) would be worth the investment if you want to maintain a constant dampening effect & avoid frothing of the oil in a closed shock.

Their basic shock (983-50-006) is about $100 each.

RoH2, post some pics of your rig!

Last edited by Synthetickiller; 11-11-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:59 AM

Well that's depressing. Fixing to shell out $1007 for a rear main seal on the wife's 08, $1800 on a dental bridge, $550 to the HOA for snow removal, $700 for Christmas jewels so the wife will let me keep spending money on the rigs. Plus an emergency room visit for a busted toe, and a daughter starting college in January. I guess shocks and stabilizer are moving down the list for now, they're not bad yet from what I can tell. Appreciate all the input.