PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the rake of your rig?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 04:30 PM
Default What's the rake of your rig?

Obligatory rake photo:

For all you guys on stock suspensions (no indexed keys, no leveling kits)
Two quick questions:
  1. What is the rake of your rig?
  2. Are left & right sides of the rear the same?

All 4 corners are off by about 1 inch. The rake is about equal, but this means that the front & rear doesn't sit level, so the whole vehicle is tilted left by about 1".

So...
Rear right = Rear left (full tank)
Front right = Front left
Correct?

Old 11-10-2016, 07:31 PM

My 04 was like that, except to the right. When I replaced the airbags with coils it leveled out. Haven't noticed any lean on the 08s but now I'm curious so I'll take a look.

Old 11-10-2016, 11:19 PM

First thing you should do is have the front ride height checked at an alignment shop. If the front is off that will affect the rear stance. Once the front ride height is proved good or adjusted have a gm dealer do a rear suspension ride height learn.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by HUMTECH
First thing you should do is have the front ride height checked at an alignment shop. If the front is off that will affect the rear stance. Once the front ride height is proved good or adjusted have a gm dealer do a rear suspension ride height learn.
I had a previous thread about the torsion bar nut being really off.
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...nt-help-37449/
As you can see, it was bad. That's how it came from firestone. I have a lifetime alignment policy, so I had already planned to bring it in. Their alignment was off considerably. Hopefully, they can get it right on the 2nd try.

I googled "rear suspension ride height learn" or "suspension ride height learn" and everything points to air ride suspensions. I'm on coils from the factory.
I see issues like this one: Link. Again, air ride.

Last edited by Synthetickiller; 11-11-2016 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:35 PM

Yes that was referring to air suspension, I assumed it had air as most do but you didn't specify. Sorry

Old 11-11-2016, 02:29 PM

No problem.
Right, I'm on coils. My trailing arms & pan hard bar are adjustable. I checked before installing them & they are the same length as the what I removed. I'm wondering if I need to adjust the panhard bar to fix alight rear?

Since it's not air bags, what could be causing the rig to be ****-eyed? Any ideas?

Edit:

One option I came across is that the vehicle's coil springs are worn out. The coil spring insulators could be worn out a bit, too. The vehicle has 106K miles of unknown use & the suspension was really beat up when I got it (shocks fully blow out, ball joints in need of replacing, etc). It wouldn't surprise me. I can tell that it was used offroad, a lot.

I have to lift the vehicle to see if each side drops equally. I'll see if I have time this weekend.

Last edited by Synthetickiller; 11-11-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:46 PM

I wouldn't worry about the rear until you know for sure the front ride height is correct. If one front corner is low then the opposite corner at the rear will be high.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by HUMTECH
I wouldn't worry about the rear until you know for sure the front ride height is correct. If one front corner is low then the opposite corner at the rear will be high.
The left is lower by about an 1/8". I'm not sure how much tolerance there is for "leveling." I'll be taking it in to get it aligned again; hopefully Tuesday. I'll know more then.

Thanks.