PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Shocks- Riding Like a King

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Smile New Shocks- Riding Like a King

On my previous '07 I-5 H3 with Offroad package, I changed the shocks out at about 45K miles. I went with the Bilstein 4600 series. I was very happy with the performance they gave me for the next 45K miles. They stiffened up the front end and kept the front end from leaning as much on turns. I was really happy with the way my truck handled and could "almost" describe it as nimble.

When I bought my '09 Alpha with only 20K miles, I was happy with the increase in power but a bit disappointed with how it handled like a pig in comparison to what I had gotten used to with my former H3. I just wrote off the poorer handling as a result of the increase in weight of the V-8.

I am now at abouot 45K on my Alpha and decided that I'd try upgrading my shocks to see if that made a difference. So this weekend I had the Bilstein 5100 series front and rears installed on my H3.

What a difference! Now my Alpha has gained a new life. It still leans in turns, but not as much and only to a certain point. It made the minor bumps like they aren"t even there, and never seems like it can't keep up with major roughage.

This upgrade was well worth the money and after seeing the improvement on both the I-5 and Alpha's handling, I highly recommend this upgrade on all H3's.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 PM

I have a set of Rancho 9000 series 5 way adjustable that I will be installing on my 2007 H-3. Will reply back once they are installed.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:50 PM

I have Bilstein 5100 up front and Rancho 9000 in the rear on my Alpha. If you want to flatten out the cornering lean, get a Hellwig rear sway bar. It comes as a kit with polly bushings for both the rear and front. Makes a huge difference in cornering lean.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 PM

I'm an old guy, that drives my rig hard and I would like to feel the bumps: as little as possible. I installed the Monroe Reflex Monotubes on my rig....

Much improved, handling and ride control!!!!!!
The best part of the Monotubes---> comfort!!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2013, 04:44 AM

I have the Monroe Reflex too, very nice so far. Also Trail Duty bumpstops

Old 07-03-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by hummerz
I'm an old guy, that drives my rig hard and I would like to feel the bumps: as little as possible. I installed the Monroe Reflex Monotubes on my rig....

Much improved, handling and ride control!!!!!!
The best part of the Monotubes---> comfort!!!!!!!

I changed the shocks a while back with KYB's and I don't like the ride I have with them and had been thinking of changing them out.

I have seen many suggest the Bilsteins but I'm with Hummerz and would prefer a more comfortable ride vs Stiff. We don't do any off roading either.

Quick question, I wanted to level the front and have been reading the posts and with that being said, would the Monroe shocks have enough travel if the leveling is done?

TIA!

Dannyo

Old 07-03-2013, 12:07 PM

As with other OEM shocks, the H3 has more droop than the shock allows (by GM design I guess). I leveled my H3 and I have the Trail Duty 1/2" longer bumpstops in and the ride is much better. If you have too much gap with the stock ones, the front gets wallowy and dives under braking. I have some shock extenders I am going to try very soon on the front.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:09 PM

Front shock absorbers
......................extended length.........compressed length.......travel
OEM..f.............e.15.0"..............................11.25"................3.75"
__________________________________________________ _________

Part Number 911527
Upper Mounting Code Stem Mount - 3.5/16" Stem Length X 5/8"-11
Thread Pitch Lower Mounting Code Special Mount
Compressed Length 11.125"
Extended Length 15.375"
Travel Length 4.250"

Dust Shield Yes
Parts Pack(s) P1136
Extended Hydraulic Lockout No
Extended Bumper Stop No
Compressed Bumper Stop No
Dust Shield Material Rubber
Feature and Benefit
  • Monroe® Reflex® monotube shocks are specifically engineered to provide better handling, control and performance for light trucks and SUV's. These shocks feature a high-pressure gas charge that separates the unit internal oil and nitrogen to provide additional spring rate, helping to maximize damping efficiency and control. To further enhance ride control characteristics, Monroe® Reflex® monotube shocks include a hydraulic lockout to cushion the impact as the vehicle suspension is fully extended.
  • Hydraulic Lockout: Patented unique hydraulic lock-out isolates impact at the limits of suspension travel
  • All Weather Fluid: Contains special modifiers to reduce friction and ensure smooth rod reaction.
  • High Pressure Nitrogen Gas Charged: High-pressure charge (240-260 PSI) provides a quicker response for excellent vehicle control
  • Shock Housing: High strength to resist damage and provide longer service life.
  • Nitrocarburized Rod: For long service life
  • Fluon Banded Piston: The fluon band provides consistent sealing between the piston and pressure tube which delivers better control and increased durability.
  • Free Floating Dividing Piston: Separates shock fluid from high-pressure gas charge.