PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom King Rear Shocks Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 07:52 PM
Default Custom King Rear Shocks Review

This is an initial review of the product & dealing w/ King Off Road Racing Shocks.

Preface:
I ordered the OEM kit for the H2, but added adjusters. The only other custom addition is the valving. I don't believe this is custom as much as it's necessary to do as the adjuster requires it. It's all or nothing, not a choice or an add on.

1st ordering attemps:
This is where you'll se the most negativity in the thread. I believe I worked a solid 3 months attempting to get these. I called multiple times to discuss adding an adjuster to the OEM solution for the rear shocks. This went on for a solid 2+ weeks. After hitting a road block discussing this "custom" job, I ended up sending in pictures.

In this process, I learned that the adjuster can make the shocks firmer (not harsh) than the stock valving, but also much, much softer. I didn't count the number of adjustments, but it's around 20 clicks.

Discussion of custom shocks
Nine pictures were sent on May 15th to the VP of King. I didn't recieve an responce till the 27th stating the shocks could be built. After that, nothing. I tried contacting King, but got no where. I received a phone call on June 10th concerning fitment. I emailed another 9 shots w/ a tape measure for scale to provide more information. June 12th, I got a responce that we needed to go with a different design (adjuster **** would hit the break line). I spoke with the VP again on the 18th of June (we're past 1 month at this point) concerning fitment & I provided one additional picture.

For those that say TL;DR...
May 15th: Spoke to King VP
May 27th: Recieved responce concerning the custom shocks
June 10th: Recieved phone call needing pictures
June 12th: Sent pics
June 12th:Recieved responce
June 18th: Recieved invoice

Total time to "talk about this": over one month.

Payment

King has a very, very strange way to getting your CC info. You do not speak with them on the phone. You fax a copy of your drivers liscence, CC (front & back) along with the invoice back to them.

I called back 3 times to confirm payment as my CC was never charged. First time, they confirmed they got the fax, but didn't bill me. Second day, they said they would charge my card, but again, failed to do so. The 3rd day, I bluntly told them to charge my card & they finally did.

I've been monitoring my CC as I've been worried about that much CC info floating around on a piece of paper. I have no clue why they require this method for payment, but it puts the buyer in a precarious situation.

So I was billed late June (20-something).

Build Time:
Again, more problems.
I was told 2 to 3 weeks. at the 3rd week, I called confirmed if they were built. My order had been pushed back a week. They didn't provide a reason.
After 4 weeks, I called them & asked if the shocks were shipped (Wed, July 22nd) & I was told they were. The shipping info states Friday, the 24th. Not cool. I'd rather not be lied to about billing & now shipping dates.

Packaging:
The packaging King does is excellent. Unlike my first pair, these have no scratches. Luckily, they took better care of them. There's no way either my front or rear pair would be damaged in transit. They are packed some type of vaccum foam that fits their shape & there's zero movement. It's excellent. If you go with King & there's a scratch, it's their fault & not the shipper unless you have a monstrous gash in the box itself.

Shocks themselves:

Each shock is labeled left or right. There's no question which shock goes on which side. Each label states the build (stock or non-stock w/ model it's based on & what is custom). Very thorough here.

Here's some pics:
Name:  W5mGSF8.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  221.3 KB
Name:  5EAlopC.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  219.3 KB
Name:  HDzpW4P.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  67.8 KB
Name:  WQPLCAd.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  47.0 KB
Name:  voQobyu.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  165.7 KB

Here's pics of them installed:
Name:  oL9UPRq.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  236.3 KB

Left Side:
Name:  OQ74jIv.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  287.7 KB
Name:  cB3Ku7z.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  151.8 KB

Right Side:
Name:  gghfKX1.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  285.3 KB
Name:  SBJuJcE.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  241.4 KB

I was hoping the tubing would be internal on each side so that it wouldn't have a chance to make contact w/ the tire or anything thrown by the tire. I doubt it'll make a difference, but I expect a little bit better for the cost.
Regarding the price, these set me back a cool $1134.00. I feel for the price, I can be a little **** about quality. These are not $100 dollars per shock.

I am currently running both front & rears on the firmest setting. I will further adjust them to find the best quality ride once I get other suspension components replaced & take all of the jaring/shaking out of the my vehicle.

So far, they have fixed major jars & bumps with the vehicle. The fitmit was tight w/ the break lines, but in general, still fit extremely well & the install was a breeze.

TL;DR
Dealing with King is a royal pain. Prepare to wait a long time for a simple "custom" upgrade & expect to feel like you're not a valued customer.
The quality is top notch & worth the time if you're not hoping to get these in a timely manner.

Would I go this route again?
Well, I'm going to be looking into front & rear shocks for an H3 since the adjustable Ranchos are not the best & I really dislike buying anything OEM if I can help it. I'm left with skyjacker, monroe, king, fox, etc. I'll be looking at the fox oem kit & getting options on those before bothering with king again. That would be a major custom job, much more than what I'm asking for in the H2 & I'm not sure I could handle being treated so poorly again.

I'd rate them 6 out of 10. 5 of the points go to packaging, fit & finish & quality of the product. They get a single point for speaking to me via email & phone, but sparingly when it's best for them.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:53 AM

The shocks look great but I would want a little bit better customer service if I was spending that kind of money.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:45 AM
Banned

Seems a bit overkill for your rig..

They are pretty, but those monies could of been used elsewhere, me, i have bilstein, and couldn't be happier, and they were under 200.00, out the door..

But again they are nice looking, good luck. .

Old 08-01-2015, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by liveinxs
Seems a bit overkill for your rig..

They are pretty, but those monies could of been used elsewhere, me, i have bilstein, and couldn't be happier, and they were under 200.00, out the door..

But again they are nice looking, good luck. .
Well, you know my track record with the company. Not even going to discuss that further. I also don't need back handed compliments. Let's stay on topic. You're welcome to post a bilstein thread as many here run them I see you'd like to discuss that topic, but how about somehwere else?

These were purchased as I needed to fully dial in the best onroad driving experience. This wasn't for myself, but for my mother. If you know anyone with herniated cervical discs in his/her neck, you'll entirely understand why this matters. I'll make a seperate update once I get all bad components upgraded to see what settings work best on what terrain.

As I said before, they are currently overcompensating for bad bushings throughout the entire suspension. Once I fix the rear entirely (see thread on upper & lower rear control arms), I think I'll have a much clearer picture of how these shocks function at the softest & firmest settings.

Unlike monotube shocks, these can be revalved. Any major weight changes (upgraded power train, heavier duty bumpers or even towing) can be compensated for. King will provide one free revalve, so I'm keeping that in my back pocket in case the range of settings don't fit my needs & a firmer range is required.

Last edited by Synthetickiller; 08-01-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:16 AM
Banned

I don't think I am off the subject, i have never seen such over the top shocks installed on the REAR of a vehicle.

I know a hummer is not the vehicle for someone, with an alleged back problem, just getting in and out, would be more demanding on a person, then driving down a road.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by liveinxs
I don't think I am off the subject, i have never seen such over the top shocks installed on the REAR of a vehicle.

I know a hummer is not the vehicle for someone, with an alleged back problem, just getting in and out, would be more demanding on a person, then driving down a road.
You're not living up to your name. Living in excess? Surely these would fit the bill.

Your reading comprehension isn't on point. The neck is not the back. Your point isn't valid as that's not an issue. Side steps are sufficient & have been for 10+ years of hummer ownership. You're also assuming all roads traveled are paved in gold.

You're trolling at this point. Just go away.

Last edited by Synthetickiller; 08-02-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:21 AM

Here is a shot of the original, stock rear shocks provided by King

These run about $780+ & can also be revalved, but are not adjustable. You can add an adjuster later on, but it will set you back more than the 1134 total I paid, due to extra labor.

The only difference between my version & stock is that now that the resevoir was strapped to the main body as opposed to the top billet mount. The sharder valve was moved to the top for easy access & the adjustment **** was moved to the bottom.

The **** loction is a pain as you have to crawl under the vehicle to change it. If they had switched locations, you'd have easy access from the wheel well.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
You're not living up to your name. Living in excess? Surely these would fit the bill.

Your reading comprehension isn't on point. The neck is not the back. Your point isn't valid as that's not an issue. Side steps are sufficient & have been for 10+ years of hummer ownership. You're also assuming all roads traveled are paved in gold.

You're trolling at this point. Just go away.
That's was my only mistake, typing back, when I meant neck..

Still doesn't change my opinion, that you got ripped off, when a set of Bilsteins would of been more then enough. .

Don't hate the messenger, cause you spent too much on them, it's funny, I can't seem to find anyone else using them..

Modifying a vehicle, can be a real pain in the neck, if you are inexperienced, ,,,,,no pun intended. .

Old 08-02-2015, 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Synthetickiller
Here is a shot of the original, stock rear shocks provided by King

These run about $780+ & can also be revalved, but are not adjustable. You can add an adjuster later on, but it will set you back more than the 1134 total I paid, due to extra labor.

The only difference between my version & stock is that now that the resevoir was strapped to the main body as opposed to the top billet mount. The sharder valve was moved to the top for easy access & the adjustment **** was moved to the bottom.

The **** loction is a pain as you have to crawl under the vehicle to change it. If they had switched locations, you'd have easy access from the wheel well.

Just curious, did you mean Schrader Valve..