PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New Brake Pads in 1hr

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 03:39 PM

It does not make more surface area, it is for more rapid cooling and bite. Race car and Hummer do not even belong in the same sentence. Slotted/Drilled rotors off road are a bad idea, any crap that gets lodged in them is going to tear your pads up.

Old 02-11-2012, 04:40 PM

These any better?

(FRONT+REAR) HIGH QUALITY OE FACTORY REPLACEMENT BRAKES: 4 ROTORS+8 CERAMIC PADS | eBay

Looking for a complete kit, front and rear, zinc plated with ceramic pads...

Old 02-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Banned

exactly right,thats what the article said,more surface area thru zig zag cutting ,a neat trick, and bettter bite in the grooves. they looked like a saw blade! i guess the more the pad wears in the better they get.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 58Bisc
These any better?

(FRONT+REAR) HIGH QUALITY OE FACTORY REPLACEMENT BRAKES: 4 ROTORS+8 CERAMIC PADS | eBay

Looking for a complete kit, front and rear, zinc plated with ceramic pads...

The factory pads work the best and are designed for the weight of the 3. I'm not interested in cheap made in china brake pads and rotors on ebay to stop nearly 3 tons of vehicle. Have you even miced the rotors to see if they can be turned?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by talusfan
The factory pads work the best and are designed for the weight of the 3. I'm not interested in cheap made in china brake pads and rotors on ebay to stop nearly 3 tons of vehicle. Have you even miced the rotors to see if they can be turned?
The point of me posting the link was to get opinions from those who have more experience then I do when it comes to off road vehicles. On high performance vehicles, drilled and slotted rotors are the way to go. I wrongly assumed that would be true for off road vehicles also, since I view them as high performance. Thank you all for sharing with me my misunderstanding and setting me stright on why this is a wrong assumption on my part.

Ask me a question about a 58 Chevy and there is not much I can't answer. Up until I started on this forum, I did not have a signal mechinical part on my H3 that was not made by GM. Through the advice of members on this forum, I have learned quite a bit about what after market parts are available for my H3 and which ones to stay away from.

Talusfan, though in a round about way, you answered my question. I believe your point is that there is a reason that these brakes and rotors are at a low price point. Contrary to the manufacturers claims, you believe them to be far inferior to the american made products. I assume you believe when it comes to H3 brakes and rotors, there are none better then GM. I tend to lean in that direction myself. Thank you for that opinion. I will take it under advisement and I will remind myself that whenever we assume we make an *** out of you and me (*** u me).

I will remind everyone of one important fact, opionions are like belly buttons, everyone has one. No one should be weighed more then the others unless it has been proven out over time...

Anyone else have an opinion on what brakes and rotors are best for the H3? Does everyone share Talusfans opinion?

Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Banned

any new stuff is probably going to be good,IF you need new rotors.
does anyone know if gm parts are actually made here or in china,or wherever?
most stuff is made in china today. i wonder what happened to japan.
i dont know why zinc plating would be a real plus

Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 AM

When I had to do my rears last weekend there wasn't much of a choice as far as rotors went, only one place had any locally. I went to pick them up and nearly fell over when they said they were only $35 each. I am sure they are probably from china(I guess I could check the box) I compared to the old ones and no visible difference. They had Raybestos brake pads which I have never used before either. In total it cost me $101 to do the rears. I understand the whole china thing and for certain generations it will always be an indicator of second rate material/parts. Quality has improved greatly since the 70-80's when specs and tolerances were non existent. In truth, if I have a choice, I will choose American made parts if available. Ultimately, my choice is not going to impact what is available. If an american company can increase profits by outsourcing parts to foreign countries, that is what they are going to do whether I want those parts or not. So if foreign is what is available, that is what I am going to buy.

I am curious as to how these componenets will hold up. I may be changing them again in 25-30k. If so, lesson learned and I'm not out a whole lot. It has been prove to us over the last 20 years that it doesn't matter if we want to buy American, you will be made to buy foreign at some point because ot doesn't matter to anyone except the individual. Most companies could care less about what you want to buy and are mostly concerned with what they want to sell you.

I've seen the slotted rotors and I have thought the same as a previous poster; I consider the H3 a high performance 4x4, so maybe those would be the way to go. Particualrly with the weight of the vehicle and if someone does alot of towing. I never considered crap getting stuck in them. Great point.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:10 PM

It's not a matter of American made or not for me, but quality control. GM whether made here or wherever else has far stricter specs to adhere to than sum dum guys factory in china who doesn't give a crap if your rotor shatters under towing, they don't have to worry about lawsuits or anything else.
Are GM parts more expensive? Sure. Am I willing to pay a bit more so the 3 ton brick will stop to ensure my fams safety? Absolutely.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Banned

in today's lawsuit climate,where companies like gm probably have more lawyers than engineers and qc men, its unlikely that you would win a lawsuit,even if the gm part fell apart and you were the only surviver in the crash,wiping out your family,,and a few others.

you might do better if it were clearly an import. ultimately it will depend on who was in a better position to bribe the corrupt judge. sorry for the justified cynicism, thats life in the lawless usa,,ala eric holder/others,,,

Old 02-12-2012, 03:47 PM

I will admit that I change my rotor whenever i change the pads. At 66K have you flushed the brake fluid?

Quick Reply: New Brake Pads in 1hr