PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help changing ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Default need help changing ignition switch

I've tried searching and can't find a write up on how to specifically change the ignition switch on an h3. Can anyone walk me through the process? Thanks. Hopefully this will fix the no start situation on my alpha.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:01 AM

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners - Search Results

Originally Posted by hummerz
The switch is available with the cylinder housing only. I removed the switch from the vehicle, and removed the switch from the new housing and installed the switch only.

I could have just cleaned the connector and contacts inside the old switch and it would have worked, however the new part was only 35 bucks, so I replaced the switch and cleaned the plug to the switch, and used dielectric grease before plugging back in.

I installed the D1403G on my 07 (auto trans). The D1462G listed for manual trans (HOUSING - IGN & START SW~5 SPD MAN TRANS(MA5) - STRG COL(NP7) - TILT STRG COL(N33) - HAS SHAFT LOCK - INCLS PASSLOCK SENSOR)

Amazon has both for $38 free shipping..

anyone interested in doing this

use this site for information on removing the knee bolster and steering column trim.

http://www.automx.co.za/htdocs/manua...rm_2008119.pdf

then you have access to clean the connector and contacts on the switch

If replacing the switch:

remove the connector, 2 screws, and turn igntion key to removed the switch.

You need to turn the new cylinder housing also to remove the new switch from the new housing.

I picked it up on amazon for 35bucks shipped over a year ago..
Acdelco D1403G, 2007 / auto trans.
Oh almost forgot, if replacing the switch, need 30min learn procedure:

30 Minute Learn Procedure
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.

3. Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the
vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.
Originally Posted by H3 Alpha Dog
As an update....installed the replacement 1403 today, which turned out to be the correct replacement for the original. Everything went without a hitch. I did not replace the entire housing, but instead the black switch at the end where the connection is. Followed all of Hummerz instructions in a previous post and will let you know if I have any future issues.

Two things of note, the plastic cover over the steering column needs a bit more force than I anticipated to separate (you don't need to remove the steering wheel or steering wheel cover), you need to use a pair of pliers to turn the inside of the new housing in order to remove the black switch at the end.

Hopefully this fixes the problem, from what I've read I think there is still a chance it could be the BCM causing the issue.

Last edited by hummerz; 05-03-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:34 PM

You're definitely the go to guy on all of this. Thanks.

However.....

Now it wont crank at all. The new Passlock has completely disabled the truck. Is it true that I still have to take it to a dealer for them to update the passlock? Trying the relearn so many times has drained the battery(several times), so I keep having to attach a charger. Hope Im not hurting anything.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by jamesb1516
You're definitely the go to guy on all of this. Thanks.

However.....

Now it wont crank at all. The new Passlock has completely disabled the truck. Is it true that I still have to take it to a dealer for them to update the passlock? Trying the relearn so many times has drained the battery(several times), so I keep having to attach a charger. Hope Im not hurting anything.
Get a new battery(it appears to be weak)... or install a battery charger during the learn process. The learn will NOT work on a low charge! No need to go to the dealer, just follow the learn procedure as listed.

btw, make sure all accessories are in the off position, during learn.

You can exit the vehicle and close the door while waiting 10 minutes, however the battery has to maintain 12volts.

Last edited by hummerz; 05-03-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:22 PM

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhh! Its doing the same exact thing it was doing all along. Just cranks and cranks but no fire. Aside from towing it to the local GM dealer I have no idea what to do anymore.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:09 AM

Key in the on position is the security light on, not flashing? are you sure there is fuel in the tank? battery voltage above 12v? Check the fuses & relays? Swap injector fuse, fuel pump fuse, and fuel pump relay? Check the UHFB connectors? KOEO scan for codes?

Name:  FuseBox1.jpg
Views: 7130
Size:  97.4 KB
Name:  FuseBox2.jpg
Views: 15444
Size:  133.9 KB
Name:  FuseBox3.jpg
Views: 9614
Size:  122.4 KB

Old 05-04-2014, 04:43 PM

Initially when I go out to put the key in there is no security light. It only comes on after the first no-start.
Ive tried swapping all the fuses and relays. I kept the charger on while trying last time so voltage had to have been there. I even let it charge for a few hours.
Are the UHFB connectors the one on the battery? Those are fine...no corrosion, no breaks or anything and the battery is fairly new.
Still cant get the scanner to pull any codes. I'll try again.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:58 PM

You should have a security light KOEO(key on engine off), it should be on, but not flashing.

Turn the key to the run position, do not crank and look at the lights. Take a picture and post it.

UHFB connectors are at the under hood fuse block.

Scanner connected to dlc, crank engine for 15 seconds, then check for codes.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:48 PM

Ok, so the security light does come on when key is turned to on. After cranking and not starting, it goes away immediately. All battery/fuse bock connections are fine but I tried adjusting them to be safe and nothing.
Ive only got an ebay scanner that states that there is no signal from the truck. It works fine on our Miata, but not the truck. I'll try cranking for 15 seconds.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:36 PM

Cranked for 15 seconds and pulled C0700. Looks like its a generic ABS code that people who use this cheap obd scanner are getting. Battery cut out again so I'll connect the charger and try again.