Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Passlock-No Start-Ignition Switch Replacement

Old 09-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Default Passlock-No Start-Ignition Switch Replacement

Okay, I have to fix this for my wife. She has been stuck in her truck several times in the last month or so. This morning she could not leave to go to work. I have read where several people have replaced the ignition switch but have never seen where anyone said this was a definite fix or not.

Has anyone swapped the ignition switch out and had it be the fix? Where did you wind up getting the switch from.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:24 AM

Just take it in and have it fixed. The shotgun method of throwing parts at it until one fixes something usually just costs more.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:25 PM

Why would I pay someone $80-$90 an hour to do the job when I am perfectly capable of doing it myself. Thanks for your help anyway.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:59 PM

Obviously you CAN"T do it yourself or you wouldn't be asking what is wrong with it in the first place. Pay someone to diagnose it, then replace the part(s yourself.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 AM
rsc

The sticking ignition key issue seems to be pretty common to GM cars lately. I have heard of folks getting a quick fix by using dry lubricant in the ignition. I'm not sure if it has to be done before the sticking starts (and locks up for good) or if anytime is better than none. Try it and let us know, otherwise it's probably going to be a new ignition switch.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:33 PM

rsc, thanks for your reply. The problem with her truck is the no start issue with the security. She can turn the key and remove the key, just will not start once in most inopportune time. She can wait 10 minutes and it will start.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:07 PM

Anyone else?

Old 10-08-2011, 07:31 PM

Suffering from the same $hit.... seems GM has a bug with this. I was at the PO the other day and a guy in a Colorado had the same problem..... I love my hummer but this crap is getting OLD!

I dont know if I should get a new key cut as I have seen this might help if it is a wore out key (5 year old key.... good chance of it) or just go buy a new sensor and put it in.....

Shane

Old 10-09-2011, 09:35 AM

Shane,

She has used both keys and has been stuck where the car would not start. I have cleaned the keys hoping to cure the passlock problem. She has gotten to the point where she turns the key on, puts her seat belt on and then turns the key to start.

Eddie

Old 10-09-2011, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
Shane,

She has used both keys and has been stuck where the car would not start. I have cleaned the keys hoping to cure the passlock problem. She has gotten to the point where she turns the key on, puts her seat belt on and then turns the key to start.

Eddie
Yes me too. Once it activates (shuts off the car) the key does not matter. One thing I have not tried is switching keys with my wife as we use her set of keys 99% of the time....

I also tell my wife to not use the remote for locking the door. I read in the manual that is what activates the passlock system in the first place. Not sure if unlocking the door with the remote does the same or not.... tempted to take the remote off and see if it happens again.....

Good luck... I know how aggravating this is.....

Shane

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passlock-No Start-Ignition Switch Replacement