Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Passlock-No Start-Ignition Switch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:48 AM

The last time it happened to my wife the truck had been parked in the garage over night and it had not been locked. She just walked out and jumped in turned the key and no start. Wait ten minutes, and it started right up and she was on her way.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:31 PM

After living with this problem for months I finally got tired of this happening at the worst possible time. Rather than dealing with GM and paying an arm and a leg to get this fixed, and knowing I would probably be dealing with it again in the future if I went that route, I installed a passlock bypass kit. Here is the cheapest passlock bypass kit I have found:

Amazon.com: Crimestopper PASSLOCK-SL-H3 Passlock Data Bypass Kit for Hummer H3: Automotive

Hope that helps.

Shane

Old 01-08-2012, 09:16 PM

yup, mine did same thing, but was under warranty.....dealer replaced passlock/ignition switch.....not sure if they have to re flash anything in computer after.......passlock disables fuel injectors so it will just crank away......i mighta had 40,000 miles on it

Old 01-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Default Ignition?Pass Lock

Had the same problem as everyone here. Called GM 1-800 # that was a Joke I had a new key made at Wal-Mart when I bought the truck last year started using the new Key I had made for Less than 2 dollars problem solved. Been over a month since had any issues, none with the new key.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:26 PM
Default The fix is simple

I replaced mine at 28,000 miles .in 2011.

Take your Hummer H3 , drive it to the dealer , (wait the 10 minutes until the passlock is reset by itself) in case in doesn't start ,

Buy an ignition switch , just the plastic cylinder , but they might sell you the whole thing , the metal ignition switch housing too.

Or Have it replace yourself and You MUST tow it to the dealer for passcode reset - if you have AAA. will be free . If not let the dealer replace it.

Passcode reset runs about 80 dollars. or 1/2 hour labor.

I would not buy any bypass electronic .. will probably give you double unnecessary headaches in the future. IMO !

This problem is very common and the fix is simple . Don't get stranded for 10 minutes ... have it done and move on. Enjoy our amazing H3's to the fullest again.,.!

Old 01-24-2012, 08:49 AM

Here is a tech note for 2008-2010 H3's:

Vehicle BCM internal power fluctuation which occurs in many different circumstances negatively affects external passlock bypass reliability. When such fluctuation occurs the risks the vehicle going in tamper mode during start are high. The bypass module provides you a highly precise (±0.002v) passlock value, the module will not fluctuate when the BCM does which can result on the BCM and module not being on the same comparison scale. If such situation occur the vehicle will probably go in tamper mode.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 AM

Not had any problems after 3 weeks..... but mine is a 06. So sounds like GM figured out a way to make the Passlock bypass not work... now if they would only acknowledge the problem and make one that was reliable!

Originally Posted by lcurle
Here is a tech note for 2008-2010 H3's:

Vehicle BCM internal power fluctuation which occurs in many different circumstances negatively affects external passlock bypass reliability. When such fluctuation occurs the risks the vehicle going in tamper mode during start are high. The bypass module provides you a highly precise (±0.002v) passlock value, the module will not fluctuate when the BCM does which can result on the BCM and module not being on the same comparison scale. If such situation occur the vehicle will probably go in tamper mode.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Default permanent passlock bypass

Hello everyone. I was having the same problem on my vehicle. After doing the key restart for several months it finally got to where it would never start.

The dealer wanted to charge me $1000 just for the parts to fix it and to be honest I would rather set it on fire then give them another dime.

I found that you can do the wire cut mehtod but this will only provide you a temporary fix. Eventually the other parts of the system will fail and you will be back to square one.

I got lucky because I found this site How to disable and remove VATS, PASSKey and Passlock Security Systems in GM cars. They sell a bypass that takes passlock out of the equation forever. No more failing parts. They also sell a manual that will instruct you to build your own bypass if you are handy like that. I wasn't. They really saved me because there is no way I could afford the new parts. Good luck!

Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by passlocksucks
Hello everyone. I was having the same problem on my vehicle. After doing the key restart for several months it finally got to where it would never start............................................. .....................Blah, Blah, Blah!
WOW, 1st post here and you are already hocking a product! Nice work!

What model and year of HUMMER do you have?

All this for Only $37 (DIY) or ONLY $179 (for the "PRO" kit)

Do you know a place I can get a throttle body tornado thingy and some fuel magnets too!

Old 02-07-2012, 10:37 PM

Did a google search and there are a lot of threads about this GM and others. Youtube has non descript videos about this.
Chris

Quick Reply: Passlock-No Start-Ignition Switch Replacement