Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Passlock-No Start-Ignition Switch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:51 PM
Default Permanently Disable and Remove GM Security Systems

Seriously, GM need to decide if they want to stay in the car's industry, or in the "Buyers Annoying Business". Regardless work or not in my Hummer, I am done with GM unless I am willing to buy a GM chassis and hook it to a horse so I can drive some sort of Amish GM

I will try this before dumping the Hummer

How to FULLY Disable Security in GM Cars and remove GM VATS PassKey and Passlock systems

Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 AM

Yea the passlock is a real pain in the ***. The bypass worked for about 6 months but has now started doing it again about 1 a week. SO either the bypass is going bad or this is a damn bug (or purposely put in) glitch in the computer. Do you think GM would do that to **** you off into trading it in for a new one.... surely not.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 AM

I don't think that GM do that intentionally, it is a poor design, lack of management add more sh... to the soup and we pay for it.

I had a 1998 Ford Expedition with the anti-theft device, in 2003 I trade it in for a F250 7.3L - at that time, the Expy had 300k miles and the anti-theft never had a single problem.

The technology is there but GM is a company with many internal problems of basically lack of management. What we see is just the results of their lack of management, internal wars etc

I like the Hummer but the only way in which I will be able to keep it is by deleting the entire anti-theft system from the truck because I can't afford to left the safety of my wide and daughter to the mercy of a car that at any given moment, will require a 30 minutes procedure

I was thinking to run a cable to the starter's relay and put the switch in the glove compartment. When the problem happen, I think that I have ignition etc, just no crank but he annoying device may be is smart enough to be danger and can also shut down the engine

Old 12-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Default Passlock Problems

Has anyone found the solution for the passlock no start wait ten minutes over and over agaiin PROBLEM.I took my 07 H3 to a mechanic he found in my history security system "incorrect valid" he says he could put a new ignition switch in but could not program after the install.This is one more problem since warrenty ran out in July.GM gives no help what so ever and says they have never heard of this issue???????

Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 PM

PCMforless.com can disable the fuel injection off feature of pass lock. Do even if the system fails you can still drive your hummer. Blinking security light goes off in 10 minutes

Old 12-10-2012, 07:37 PM

Just had dealer program new rke remote and they cannot disable the pass lock.

PCMforless.com is your best bet.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 AM

This is what I bought (I need to change my review on amazon...):

Crimestopper PASSLOCK-SL-H3 Passlock Data Bypass Kit for Hummer H3 : Amazon.com : Automotive Crimestopper PASSLOCK-SL-H3 Passlock Data Bypass Kit for Hummer H3 : Amazon.com : Automotive

It worked great at first then started acting up again. I figured I would need to order another one but tried:

Step 1 – Attempt to start the vehicle. It will crank, but not run. The security light will be flashing on and off. Leave the key in the ‘run’ position for exactly 10 minutes, then the security light will stay solid or go off.
Step 2 – Turn the key to the ‘off’ position for 10 seconds. Attempt to start the vehicle. Some vehicles will run at this point, although many will require you repeat repeat Step 1 two more times. Make sure turn the key to the ‘off’ position for 10 seconds before each 10 minute cycle.
Step 3 – The vehicle is now ready to relearn the proper code. Turn the key ‘off’ for 10 seconds and then ‘crank’ the vehicle. It should be running now. The security light might stay on solid for several minutes afterwards, depending on your system.

Worked like a charm. I have not had any problems since then.... You might want to give this a try before ordering a Passlock bypass to see if it helps.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Default PassLock

Here's Something I found. Eric

by Dr Zach May 02, 2008
Review #: 119601
Company General Motors
Product / Service PassLock II security systems
Location Warner Robins, Georgia
Category Auto
Views 609
This letter is addressed to General Motors.
Why are many of your vehicles experiencing vehicle "security light on" (random events) and "vehicle will not start" (random events)?
My 2003 Impala has experienced these issues over the past 2 years. The "security light on" (who really cares) but the issue with the "vehicle not starting" is really serious.
I have investigated many difficult problems in my lifetime... I like to explore things fully!
I have vast experience in Electronics, Engine control management systems and Auto repair.
Currently, I am working as an Embedded Software Engineer.
I have fully investigated the PassLock II issues "online" and have found such a large number of complains directly relating to my complaint.
What is staggering, is that many times, consumers take their vehicle to a certified GM dealership and pay for the repair (I've seen up to $450.00 posted).
A day or a week later the problem comes back...
Many consumers have simply defeated or by-passed the PassLock system. The information and kits are available by doing a simple search.
I would like 1% of the money GM dealerships have extracted from consumers regarding this issue!
Now here is some interesting news for GM and their dealerships.
I have personally investigated my PassLock problem from a serious technical view point.
The dash was tore apart and eventually, I was able to remove the ignition switch which has the Pass Lock (magnetic sensor system) mounted in it.
The ignition switch was dissasembled and I looked closely and observed a few interesting things about the PassLock system design.
1) The male connector does not fit securely in the female connector receptacle. It can wiggle up and down and back and forth.
2) The connection is a "blind connection" meaning that during assembly one would not know if the PassLock connector was connected correctly or not.
3) The male and female pins used on the PassLock system are "Tin" plated and subject to oxidation over time. The pins should have been "gold plated."
The grey oxidation was clearly visible under 10X magnification.
4) The Body Computer does not adjust over time for the oxidation that build up on the PassLock pins.
The critical analog PassLock signal drifts depending on mechnical issues, temperature and humidity.
Ok - GM -> The PassLock cat is out of the bag!
What I did about this problem.
I certainly did not take the vehicle to any GM Dealership and get "rear-ended."
I simply hand soldered the three wires (Black, White and Yellow) directly to the PassLock sensor.
The vehicle is repaired and I would like to let GM know that when I sell this vehicle, I will offer a "LifeTime Warranty" on the security system for this vehicle (more than you can do)!
So what is GM doing? Well, the Dealerships are collecting a lot of money from us. They, the Dealershipsr are simply replacing the sensor ($150.00).
Can all of these sensors be going bad? The answer is no...
When the sensor is replaced the oxidation on the female connector pin is temporarily scraped and makes a better connection. Three years down the road (guaranteed!) you will be up against the same issues.
So the "root cause" of this failure and GM's inability to permanently fix this problem is now understood.
When consumers are installing bypass kits they are not bypassing the Body Computer or the three required signals to the Powertrain Controller (Class II serial communications, Fuel Enable and Crank Enable) they are bypassing the sensor and the connector. The problem is with the connector and its pins!
OK -> GM and Dealerships wake up and return all of the money you've swindled from us! You use technology against consumers and we are sick and tired.
GM, I've seen your last quarterly report and it looks like "we the consumers" in "North America" will not have to be dealing with you for very much longer.
I wish you all the best of luck!
Dr Zach

Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 AM

I was going to do the remote starte bypass box but then decided that having the Engine PCM ignore the Passlock signal from the BCM was better. I never have to worry about the Passlock now. My engine starts every time since the PCM always has fuel injectors on and does not have to get a Passlock signal to turn them on.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:21 AM

I know this is an old tread but I wanted to give a little update. I replaced the battery in the hummer and the problems stopped.... for a while. However when the weather cools down it comes back.

I finally had enough and bought HPtuners and deactivated it. I licensed 2006 H3's so if anyone is in the area (Western NC) and is interested, I can deactivate the passlock for you for a small fee.

Quick Reply: Passlock-No Start-Ignition Switch Replacement