PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Need exhaust advice please...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Cool Need exhaust advice please...

Hey fellas,

I've decided to get a less restrictive exhaust system in about 2-3 months and i've got a list of things i'd like to accomplish, please list the best system to fit my requirements. Also, if custom is a better choice, list a shop you all trust within 100 miles of Johnson City, TN.

1) Don't want to sound like a ricer or race car, i want... "aggressive but not excessive"
2) I want most power from the system
3) dual exits
4) Shiney catches my eye but endurance is more important
5) I've decided to get a turbo down the road, so pre-planning for that is of the up-most importance atm
6) I have a manual 07' H3 (if that matters) and plan to put on CAI (fariad) and chip (volo). Both are made for turbocharger adding down the road.

I think thats about it, if future thoughts arise I will repost under same thread, Thanks for taking a look into it!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:16 PM

While I understand you want the exhaust done now realistically if you have made the choice to go with a turbo kit, though I still don't recommend it and it has been done in the past with negative results from Wayne in Australia via turbotecnics who has no switched to a SC and loves it, I would then tell you to get you exhaust done when you do the turbo... Depending on how you run your turbo, you will have to factor in either a turbo manifold, or if it's being run from the exhaust than you will have to adjust the entire system... Do some more research on turbos an how they work before spending your money on an exhaust system that will either have to be cut up or modded afterwards... Also the dual tips are just something else to get bashed when wheelin FYI. I would go with a single dump off a small baffled muffler... Glass packs are not my choice of muffler cause of the sound and that you will eventually blow out the fiberglass inside. If you just want to get something until you go turbo than cut the oem muffler and put in a flowmaster for $100... Emmissions will kill you with anything else and you may find that you will regret the turbos too cause the system is gonna run really rich, best results would come from hollowing or hi perf cats... But I doubt the comp would let you do either, your check engine light would constanty be on and you can't run emissions with that sucker on... Either way good luck

Old 01-28-2010, 05:17 PM

DAGKANA

While I understand you want the exhaust done now realistically if you have made the choice to go with a turbo kit, though I still don't recommend it and it has been done in the past with negative results from Wayne in Australia via turbotecnics who has no switched to a SC and loves it, I would then tell you to get you exhaust done when you do the turbo... Depending on how you run your turbo, you will have to factor in either a turbo manifold, or if it's being run from the exhaust than you will have to adjust the entire system... Do some more research on turbos an how they work before spending your money on an exhaust system that will either have to be cut up or modded afterwards... Also the dual tips are just something else to get bashed when wheelin FYI. I would go with a single dump off a small baffled muffler... Glass packs are not my choice of muffler cause of the sound and that you will eventually blow out the fiberglass inside. If you just want to get something until you go turbo than cut the oem muffler and put in a flowmaster for $100... Emmissions will kill you with anything else and you may find that you will regret the turbos too cause the system is gonna run really rich, best results would come from hollowing or hi perf cats... But I doubt the comp would let you do either, your check engine light would constanty be on and you can't run emissions with that sucker on... Either way good luck

(sorry couldn't get the quote in forum reply thing to work)

DAGKANA,

When you say "results would come from hollowing or hi perf cats" what do you mean exactly? I think the hollowing means breaking up the honey comb in the catalytic converter but what does "hi perf cats" mean? I thought bout doing a Billy Boat Cat Back exhaust with the dual tips but i'm still dreaming atm. I realize that it's going to be something else shiney to get possibly bashed in on a trail; and as much as i'd like to think my rigs only trail minded, the sad fact is i don't really have many trails to ride it on in SW virginia or TN. Mainly the fact that i have few buddies that like to go mudding or 4x4. So i'd estimate ~60% of the time my hummer only monster trucks pavement. That factors into a lot of the mods i've done so far (visuals and interior). That also, factored in with the decision to get the turbo (along with ALL the DOWNSIDES but at a price of about 2k less than SC it's in my best intrests). If i got the cat back exhaust like i described; I think i'd gut the converter for more juice, not really worried about emissions testing around my areas of TN and VA (to be honest they only do that to diesels that blow black smoke clouds into a cop/troopers hood or someone close enough in front of them that they can't ignore).

Old 01-28-2010, 09:46 PM

In my 2006, have a volant supercharger, which at the time was the only one GM allowed and magnaflow dual exhaust.

Without question maximized the power and even with the automatic, would push you into the back of your seat when you wanted.

Sadly, I have to get it off the truck asap.

Don't think it will work with your 07 (it fit a 3.5 I5).

Originally Posted by BlackH3NJC
Hey fellas,

I've decided to get a less restrictive exhaust system in about 2-3 months and i've got a list of things i'd like to accomplish, please list the best system to fit my requirements. Also, if custom is a better choice, list a shop you all trust within 100 miles of Johnson City, TN.

1) Don't want to sound like a ricer or race car, i want... "aggressive but not excessive"
2) I want most power from the system
3) dual exits
4) Shiney catches my eye but endurance is more important
5) I've decided to get a turbo down the road, so pre-planning for that is of the up-most importance atm
6) I have a manual 07' H3 (if that matters) and plan to put on CAI (fariad) and chip (volo). Both are made for turbocharger adding down the road.

I think thats about it, if future thoughts arise I will repost under same thread, Thanks for taking a look into it!

Old 01-28-2010, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by BlackH3NJC

When you say "results would come from hollowing or hi perf cats" what do you mean exactly?
Hi performance catalytic converters... the have less restrictive baffling, however I don't know if any will/would work with the H3 smog setup

While there may not be to strict of emission testing in your neck of the woods, GM is still held to a goverment standard so alot of other variable factors have to be taken into consideration, our rigs are not as simple as the older vehicles used to be... theres alot of computers that control alot of different things and getting a cheap turbo kit, as you seem to be aiming at, will most certainly be a waste of money, it simply wont work right and I have a feeling without extensive pcm tunning you will simply cause you true to stall out alot... A SC that doesn't run off of the exhaust would be much simpler to tune and plug n play so to speak... the turbo system has to run off your exhaust, its what spools the turbo.. so for you to even consider getting and exhaust before having the turbo is foolish...

A turbo kit can either use a manifold which I highly doubt would work on our rigs... not mention I havent seem any performance manifolds or headers for under a grand anyways... or it can piggy back off the exhaust further back, I think that's about the only what you'll be able to get it to work, which means modifying whatever exhaust system you have to get it to work... its all gonna be custom and its all gonna be expensive... all said and done either mod will run you about the same price for a good setup... and cheap turbo is never a good idea...

Old 02-16-2010, 03:12 PM

Still have your supercharger? I have a 2006 H3 and am looking to upgrade!

Thanks,
Stephen Poindexter 270-459-1111