PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper in, need install advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Default Bumper in, need install advice please.

My bumper replacement has arrived. It is very similar to the one pictured below but is for an H3, not a ford.

I need some advice. What do I do first? Torsion bar then install bumper replacement then alignment ~or~ bumper replacement torsion bar then alignment? I would think that it would make more sense to replace the front bumper, then adjust torsion and get it aligned but maybe I am wrong. Will having the bumper on first then adjusting torsion bar create any kind of strain? The thing is heavy, I did not weigh it but those who have it know it is a heavy beast.

Any and all comments/criticisms/advice welcome.

Oh, one thing I will say,I ama bit dissapointed in the look. The pic above shows 2 cross bars on the front middle, mine did not have it.I called and found out why they changed it. I had mine custom made so I can get the Warn Powerplant winch. They told me on the phone that one of the two bars would have to be moved up an inch or two, but when I got it both bars were gone leaving just the top bar going across. I called and after the salesman finally called the shop, they told him that in order to accomodate that winch they removed both vertical bars. Kind of a bummer, as I liked the extra protection but I am still happy.

Rob

Old 07-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Default RE: Bumper in, need install advice please.

Hey Rob.....Nice looking bumper. Tough Country right?

The thing that seems to make the most sense is Bumper, Crank, Alignment.

Are you cranking it up to return to your starting point or are you gonna go a bit higher with 35's in mind?

If it is the latter, I'd definitely get some Cognito's from Phil to go along with the crank.

Perhaps even some of his new poly bump stops when he starts selling them.

Depending on the weight of that thing and the winch, I wonder if you might not want to look into a set
of T-Bars for an Alpha....The extra spring rate for aV-8might just cancel out that bumper and winch.

(unless you already have an Alpha, I can't remember)

Can't wait to see some pics of that bad boy.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:26 PM

I agree with Gunner - especially the pics part!

Old 07-03-2008, 02:40 AM

Definitely put the bumper on first. Even with the SAW t-bars, my front end dropped about 3/4" with the bumper installed. I would definitely look at upgrading the torsion bars if I were you.

They fed you some BS on that crossbar. There was one bar on the prototype that they did for Bullydog. I was expecting it as well, but noticed they had removed it from the design when I got mine. Oh well, just leaves more room for lights.

Check all the hardware before you start working on the install. Almost all the bolts they sent me were the wrong length. Easier to run to the hardware store if the front of your truck is still put together. And get a friend or two to help with the install. Two to lift and one to get the bolts started.

I think I listed some more stuff in my last response to you about this. Any other questions, let me know.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:48 AM

Hey Rob.....Nice looking bumper. Tough Country right?
Yep, Toughcountry.

If it is the latter, I'd definitely get some Cognito's from Phil to go along with the crank.
Sewie, did you go that route?

They fed you some BS on that crossbar. There was one bar on the prototype that they did for Bullydog. I was expecting it as well, but noticed they had removed it from the design when I got mine. Oh well, just leaves more room for lights.
That is what I was thinking, especially since they told me they design would look like the Bully Dog rig. Oh well, I still like it.

Are you cranking it up to return to your starting point or are you gonna go a bit higher with 35's in mind?
I want to get it level front to back and remove the slight nose dive if possible, but I have been reading MANY Tbar posts using the search function (do I get a lollypop??) and I don't want to crank more than about 4 turns, if it comes out still slightly down, I will look at a 2 inch lift at a later point for the 35s I want. Money is a bit tight, expecially since we just had a baby June 11th.

I agree with Gunner - especially the pics part!
Trust me, I will be posting pictures soon, maybe tonight. I think I may even do a "start to finish" step by step post seperate from this one on exactly what I run into with pics to go along with it. It might help the next person who has to do it. I know that this will be a good learning experience for me. I called out of curiosity (and partially if I run into problems) and the local Chevy/GMC dealer said they would do the work INCLUDING adjusting the Tbars, putting bumper on and alignment for $300. Seems very reasonable considering they would do the Tbars and alignment. I dont want to take it out of town to do it, the closest Hummer dealer is in Tucson and this rig is for off roading as much as possible, I don't want to spend the money for a tank of gas to the dealer unless it is time for service or needs warranty work.

I will keep you all up to date.

Thanks,

Rob

Old 07-03-2008, 10:43 AM

Rob - you're in Sierra Vista? Geez, I'd offer to help but that's waaayy down there from Phx. That $300 doesn't sound like a bad deal. I paid $200 for the t-bar crank, shock install and alignment and the bumper is more work. It's not something I can do myself, working in a condo parking lot[:@]

Old 07-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Looks good. I like it. Post pics.

Old 07-04-2008, 02:46 AM

Rob - yes I have the Cognito shocks and Sway-A-Way torsion bars. Makes a huge difference. I also have some extended bumpstops on the way.

$300 for the install sounds like a great price. Obviously they haven't seen the size of that bumper.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:24 PM

WOW....BADASS Bumper!!!

Old 07-05-2008, 09:52 PM

I opened the accessory box today. Bolts/washers and some other stuff but no instructions. I was hoping for a basic "remove this first, then remove this then install this" type thing but nothing. Wish me luck as I try to figure it out. I am pretty mechanically inclined and do a lot of stuff myself but after my quick look at the plastic below the chome chrille I did not see what to take off first. I will keep you all posted.

Rob