PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lean bank code

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:35 PM
Default lean bank code

Had this code read on 06 and what exactly does this mean. Its not very specific?

Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

It means your PCM believes your fuel to air ratio is too lean. List off your mods and I'll point you to your trouble.

If you have a 100% stock power plant, then clean your MAF.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
It means your PCM believes your fuel to air ratio is too lean. List off your mods and I'll point you to your trouble.

If you have a 100% stock power plant, then clean your MAF.
Not at all stock, at the time the codes began I had only the K&N intake ,throtttle space and magnaflow cat back with Jet ECM. Since then added headers and cat forward system . I also replace both exhaust sensors just to eliminate that possibility.This mat really need to be dyno tuned with all the mods, Smooth idle so dont think i have a head issue, Mileage is only 30K

Old 08-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

With near 100% certainty, your code comes from the K&N intake.... I won't go into it in detail.

TB Spacer has nothing to do with it, but it also has nothing to do with anything because they are useless.

Good luck.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
With near 100% certainty, your code comes from the K&N intake.... I won't go into it in detail.

TB Spacer has nothing to do with it, but it also has nothing to do with anything because they are useless.

Good luck.
is the location wrong for MAF sensor? I also suspected it as the culprit along with a slight lean surge under excelleration i notice which could be from better exhaust flow and needs a richer mixture?I would like to hear your K&N thoughts? You certainly know these motors better than most,,

Old 08-08-2014, 07:05 PM

K&N oiled air filters damage the maf sensor, regular maf cleaning required with a k&n. Keep that maf clean.

The Mass Air Flow Sensors converts the amount of air drawn into the engine into a voltage signal. The ECM needs to know intake air volume to calculate engine load. This is necessary to determine how much fuel to inject, when to ignite the cylinder, and when to shift the transmission. The air flow sensor is located directly in the intake air stream, between the air cleaner and throttle body where it can measure incoming air.
The primary components of the MAF sensor are a thermistor, a platinum hot wire, and an electronic control circuit.
The thermistor measures the temperature of the incoming air. The hot wire is maintained at a constant temperature in relation to the thermistor by the electronic control circuit. An increase in air flow will cause the hot wire to lose heat faster and the electronic control circuitry will compensate by sending more current through the wire. The electronic control circuit simultaneously measures the current flow and puts out a voltage signal in proportion to current flow.
Diagnosis of the MAF sensor involves visual, circuit, and component checks. The MAF sensor passage must be free of debris to operate properly. If the passage is plugged, the engine will usually start, but run poorly or stall and may not set a DTC.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
K&N oiled air filters damage the maf sensor, regular maf cleaning required with a k&n. Keep that maf clean.

The Mass Air Flow Sensors converts the amount of air drawn into the engine into a voltage signal. The ECM needs to know intake air volume to calculate engine load. This is necessary to determine how much fuel to inject, when to ignite the cylinder, and when to shift the transmission. The air flow sensor is located directly in the intake air stream, between the air cleaner and throttle body where it can measure incoming air.
The primary components of the MAF sensor are a thermistor, a platinum hot wire, and an electronic control circuit.
The thermistor measures the temperature of the incoming air. The hot wire is maintained at a constant temperature in relation to the thermistor by the electronic control circuit. An increase in air flow will cause the hot wire to lose heat faster and the electronic control circuitry will compensate by sending more current through the wire. The electronic control circuit simultaneously measures the current flow and puts out a voltage signal in proportion to current flow.
Diagnosis of the MAF sensor involves visual, circuit, and component checks. The MAF sensor passage must be free of debris to operate properly. If the passage is plugged, the engine will usually start, but run poorly or stall and may not set a DTC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFTP4TzMLxE
Great info thanks

Old 08-08-2014, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by byeatts
Great info thanks
I recall using contact electrical cleaner on the MAF. Hmm, Thanks

Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 PM

I recall using contact electrical cleaner on the MAF. Hmm, Thanks
I checked the contact cleaner I used and it says plastic safe quick dry, I hope i,m ok

Old 08-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Default code 171

Great info thanks
cleaned filter and MAF sensor , i left the filter dry and im getting code 171. I also have replaced both O2 sensors, Any ideas?