Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

finnaly a fix for lean bank 1

Old 06-09-2013, 09:27 AM
Default finnaly a fix for lean bank 1

For some time now i have had a check engine light on and the code for lean bank 1. After replacing both o2 sensors the code was still there. It really was getting to be a problem as it was ruining my gas mileage (11mpg). I was at a lose of what could be causeing it. well after doing some research i found that it could be a few things. one of which would be some air coming in after the MAF sensor..."pirate air". so i started thinking of what i could have done to cause this. then i realized that it started after i did the resonator delete on the air intake. when you remove the factory resonator box there is a bit of hose that runs from it to the top of the crank case, it acts as a vent. when i did the delete i just put a filter on the vent and didnt run any tubing back into the intake. It just hit me one day that by doing that i created a gap in the intake and therefore there was more air getting in then what was accounted for by the MAF sensor. so i bought a longer peice of tubing and plumbed it into the air intake. This finally solved my problem! such a simple over sight on my part cost me about a hundred $ in o2 sensors and hundreds in gas, and the mental anguish of wondering what was wrong.
If anybody was as dumb as me (i'm probably the only one) to do the same thing, now you have the solution. Just thaught i would share this for future referance incase anybody has the same issue.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:41 PM

Gotta love a pesky CEL.
I got one that goes off and on about every 2-3 days that I can't figure out. Auto Zone told me the code meant one of my sensors on my exhaust was out/going out. I replaced them both and the light still goes off and on...

Old 06-09-2013, 08:05 PM

Yea...lol ive done similar stuff.
chris

Old 06-09-2013, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by sneakypigeons
well mine is the homemade version of an airdoc...the air doc is $155 roughly and all it is a aluminum tube. i did the same thing for $20.
Hmmmm..... wonder if it was worth the $135 savings now that you spent over $300 bucks on 02s and wasted fuel.

This finally solved my problem! such a simple over sight on my part cost me about a hundred $ in o2 sensors and hundreds in gas, and the mental anguish of wondering what was wrong.
If anybody was as dumb as me (i'm probably the only one)
Build your own DIY intake: $20
Buying new 02 sensors because of your DIY intake: $100
Wasting tanks of fuel because of your DIY intake (11MPG): $200+
Thinking that building your own intake was going to be cheaper ... PRICELESS!

Old 06-10-2013, 08:23 AM

lmao you nailed it Tainter! thaught i was being clever. It would have been cheaper if i wasnt to lazy to begine with and just plumbed that line back in like it was meant to. oh well, live and learn i guess.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the post. This has been driving me crazy for a month or two and I just checked and the hose was not connected. I've been having the same problem since I cleaned the MAF, throttle body, and installed new plugs. The odd thing is that when the gas tank is full there is no CEL, but when it drops to quarter tank or less the light comes on.....weird.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:46 PM

so now,finally you can report on your $20 mod. if it works it was a good plan with a small mistake huh?
happens all the time. we can learn from you.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 AM

exactly. good plan with a small oversight. It works just as well as an airdoc or similar brand, just cost less (well it was supposed to anyway)! lol

Old 12-04-2022, 10:15 PM
Default Check engine

For some time now i have had a check engine light on and the code for lean bank 1. After replacing both o2 sensors the code was still there. It really was getting to be a problem as it was ruining my gas mileage (11mpg). I was at a lose of what could be causeing it. well after doing some research i found that it could be a few things. one of which would be some air coming in after the MAF sensor..."pirate air". so i started thinking of what i could have done to cause this. then i realized that it started after i did the resonator delete on the air intake. when you remove the factory resonator box there is a bit of hose that runs from it to the top of the crank case, it acts as a vent. when i did the delete i just put a filter on the vent and didnt run any tubing back into the intake. It just hit me one day that by doing that i created a gap in the intake and therefore there was more air getting in then what was accounted for by the MAF sensor. so i bought a longer peice of tubing and plumbed it into the air intake. This finally solved my problem! such a simple over sight on my part cost me about a hundred $ in o2 sensors and hundreds in gas, and the mental anguish of wondering what was wrong.
If anybody was as dumb as me (i'm probably the only one) to do the same thing, now you have the solution. Just thaught i would share this for future referance incase anybody has the same issue.
Thank you for the info

Old 12-04-2022, 10:23 PM

I am going to try it, my check engine light is on, and has to be smogged for registration. I took to GMC, and they had my hummer for 3 weeks, told me had a short in my fuse box. Paid $1200 to replace fuse box, was so excited when I was able to finally get my vehicle back, before I even left parking lot my check engine light was back on. They hooked back up for code and said running to lean, wanted more money to diagnose the problem. Lol, check engine light on was whole reason I paid them in the first place and they swore was caused by short in the fuse box.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: finnaly a fix for lean bank 1