PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3 Monsoon front speaker/tweeter to Component replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Default H3 Monsoon front speaker/tweeter to Component replacement

Hello,

I have checked every thread I could find but it is still not clear to me how people are replacing their front Monsoon speakers and tweeters with aftermarket components. I bought some Focal SG 165a1 6.5" component speakers and installed the woofer portion in the front doors. I used the Metra 72-4568 harnesses to connect the woofers to the stock wiring. I followed another post to remove the two front pillars and remove the old tweeters and replace with the new Focal tweeters by using hot glue. Worked great. Here is where I am confused. It seems that the stock tweeter wiring goes all the way back to the Monsoon Amp and the crossover is built into the amp. I would prefer to use the stock wiring for the tweeters if possible.

Here are my questions.

1. If the Monsoon amp does have a built in crossover for the tweeter, would I still need to use the crossovers that came with the Focal components? Or would I need to run new wiring for the tweeters and use the Focal crossovers? If I need to run new wiring, where is the best place to splice in the crossover to the front speakers?

2. Currently the new woofers are installed but they are cracking/popping almost worst than the paper stock monsoon speakers were when the bass is slightly turned up (I currently do not have them ran through the crossover). But, from my understanding, it's not that important to run the woofers through the crossovers since the naturally won't play highs anyway.

Note: I have focal 165 2-way's in the back doors and they have never came close to making cracking or popping noises.

Am I missing something here? Why would my brand new components distort under bass when their power rating is 120W Max?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 AM

Also, i wanted to point out that I replaced the stock Monsoon Sub with a 2 Ohm 8 inch Kicker subwoofer. Could the low ohms on the Sub be distorting my front component woofers? I am starting to think that is the case. I know with these Monsoon Amps the Ohms setup is really weird and alot of car audio places wont replace speakers without replacing the amp and wiring. Trying to avoid spending a few G's. If the sub is the culprit, I am okay with totally removing it and installing a external Sub and Amp. That way I can have Sub control on my Pioneer deck.

Ideas? Comments?