PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H2 Shifter upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 10:43 AM
Default H2 Shifter upgrade

I always disliked the way the H2 shifter sounds clicky and to me cheap when shifting. I'm big on how things sound and feel. Like the sound a good solid door when closing or opening. I'm upgrading the interior of my H2 and posted some things like rebuilding the door panels. Last night I took the shifter out and studied how it works and what is making the noise. There are two things. One is metal pin on the shift rod that slams into the upper detents. I used a piece of wire shrink tube on and shrunk it to the pins. This keeps it from slamming. The second area is the main detent cam that has a piece of spring metal that provides some of the feel when moving from park to drive and back. I attached layers of felt tape and added some 3m spray adhesive between layers. I then added some white lithium grease and now it's smooth and sounds like quality. I think adding some rubber coating to the end of the spring would help also but I didn't have any. Not sure how long it will last but it's worth a try.