Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2004 Hummer H2 Can't Shift Out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 08:23 PM
Default 2004 Hummer H2 Can't Shift Out of Park

Hello all, I've been MIA for awhile. With the pandemic, I've barely been driving the H2 since they've had me working from home. Hope every one here is doing well and all the old schoolers are still around! This site has been amazing with how much it has helped me, so I want to share something that happened to me recently so that it may help someone else one day. I have a 2004 H2. Seemingly out of the blue, I could no longer shift out of Park, it would not depress so that I could move the shifter. I had already done the bushing fix so I was really perplexed. Underneath the shifter surround, there is a plug that goes into the shifter assembly. I noticed that if I jiggled the wires on the plug, I would hear a click, and then the shifter would start to work again. I pulled the sheathing off the wires and the black wire had completely broken in half. For whatever reason, GM made the wires on the plug stupidly short, and each time you shift it is moving the wires back and forth, so over time they just break. I did not want to spend the time to de-pin the original plug, and the original wires were way too short anyway. I found this part: ACDelco PT3923. I spliced this in, making the wires a lot longer. There is an extra wire that isn't needed for the H2, so I just capped that one off. One other thing to note, this plug is sort of annoying to remove, you have to stick a small screwdriver on the clip and press down so it will allow you to pull it out - it seems impossible to pull it out with your fingers. Everything is back in working order and I can shift again!

Old 03-19-2022, 12:48 AM

in my case it was the yellow wire

Old 03-24-2022, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by hummer_on_fumes
Hello all, I've been MIA for awhile. With the pandemic, I've barely been driving the H2 since they've had me working from home. Hope every one here is doing well and all the old schoolers are still around! This site has been amazing with how much it has helped me, so I want to share something that happened to me recently so that it may help someone else one day. I have a 2004 H2. Seemingly out of the blue, I could no longer shift out of Park, it would not depress so that I could move the shifter. I had already done the bushing fix so I was really perplexed. Underneath the shifter surround, there is a plug that goes into the shifter assembly. I noticed that if I jiggled the wires on the plug, I would hear a click, and then the shifter would start to work again. I pulled the sheathing off the wires and the black wire had completely broken in half. For whatever reason, GM made the wires on the plug stupidly short, and each time you shift it is moving the wires back and forth, so over time they just break. I did not want to spend the time to de-pin the original plug, and the original wires were way too short anyway. I found this part: ACDelco PT3923. I spliced this in, making the wires a lot longer. There is an extra wire that isn't needed for the H2, so I just capped that one off. One other thing to note, this plug is sort of annoying to remove, you have to stick a small screwdriver on the clip and press down so it will allow you to pull it out - it seems impossible to pull it out with your fingers. Everything is back in working order and I can shift again!

Had he same problem with my 2009 SUV LUX. If you look down near the bottom of the black plastic support that the shifter lever rides in your will see a small round silver button like disc. That is a Release button for the shifter. Also I think the replacement kit you got is to replace the defective original design. The wires are longer to prevent the bending back and forth of the wire in the plug which fails. You'll notice the wires are heavy duty and I think are Teflon coated.

I carry an allen wrench and a phillips driver just in case that should ever happen again. And know that there is a release button makes it easier to at least get in gear and get home.

Now that you have the new wire assembly in you should be good to go. Just make sure you carry a phillips and an Allen wrench to get the shifter handle off and the glove box up to get at that release button..