PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Greenbrook GMC Hummer, Greenbrook, NJ- Complaints

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Default RE: Greenbrook GMC Hummer, Greenbrook, NJ- Complaints

I realize that the Alpha is in demand, and that JD Powers has listed the H3 as having the least depreciation of ANY American vehicle right now. However, I've ALWAYS used Edmunds and KBB to base my purchase price - and ALWAYS with success. My purchases have included many other high-demand vehicles. I've also had a Full-size GMC Jimmy V8 Full-time 4WD, a full-size V8 Bronco, Toyota Tacoma and a Jeep Wrangler.

I apologize if I come off sounding like a know-it-all. I just try to educate myself prior to making big-ticket purchase decisions, whether personally or in business. Typical car salesmen probably don't like my type, but purchasing over the Internet is more my style (this will be my 3rd vehicle purchased this way.)

I realize that every dealer needs to make money on a deal, which is why I believe that Edmunds and KBB identify fair purchase prices. When Edmunds & KBB have indicated that a vehicle is selling in my part of the country for MSRP, and the related forums agree, I don't go into a dealer demanding to pay less. Fair is fair, and I don't look for special treatment. But paying more is crazy.

Some info that folks may find interesting: It's come to my attention (from talking to salesmen at 4 locations) that anywhere from 80-90% of all H3 sales in NJ are leases, not sales. The additional 10% (in hidden fees) that a dealership might pass on to a customer in monthly payments is often acceptable and overlooked by the average customer; it's often confusing to follow the shell game that is played when leasing a vehicle. Things become much clearer when it's a direct purchase, especially without financing.

I just made an on-line arrangement with an out-of-state dealer to purchase an Alpha at invoice cost (per KBB/Edmunds). I will need to drive many hrs each way to get it, and go thru the hassle of registering it and getting it re-inspected here in NJ, but at a net savings of 10+% compared tothis thread's named dealershipprice, I think the drive and other hassles will be worth it.

My recommendation - If you're aggravated by any NJ Hummersalesmen trying to rip you off, look elsewhere, and do your homework. Don't go in blind, and be prepared to walk away and go out-of-state if necessary. Unless you'll be leasing; then you're at their mercy.

Hopefully it will work out for me (obviously no guarantees 'til it's in my driveway). I'll fill in everyone at a later date.

Old 09-09-2007, 09:30 AM

Please refresh my memory, isn't the dealership on Route 22? If so, the old adage of being aware of Rt. 22 dealerships (with a very limited few exceptions) holds true.Years agoI had one Rt. 22 dealership in Greenbrook ask for my license when I asked to test drive a vehicle, but they limited me to driving in their parking lot and tried to hold my license until we finished negotiating (in other words I bought) their car. This wasn't going to happen (are they kidding-test driving in their parking lot!) and I had to walk out on the showroom floor in front of other potential buyers and in a loud, but polite voice, demand my driver's license or I would call the police. They tried to usher me into the sales manager's office where "he would give me a great dealfor my inconvenience". I walked by a potential customer on my way out the door, and again in a loud/polite voice, said that I wascalling the police to report the dealership. It was almost comical watching them chase after me to give me my license. Nope, didn't call the police,but some customers did leave the dealership (whether it was because of my "scene" I can't say).

Old 09-09-2007, 02:44 PM

You can build the Alpha over on Edmunds with all the options and the prices listed for each option. I've dealt with 2 Hummer dealerships in Jersey and my brother bought from a Hummer dealer in Allentown,PA, I believe. All 3 have been excellent to deal with - Mahwah and Royal for me (Not sure of the name of the one in Allentown.) As for Royal, the internet salesmen was really cool to deal with, even though I ended up not buying an Alpha right now - GMAC wanted WAY too much to let me out of my current lease - Not Royal's fault.

Old 09-09-2007, 03:28 PM

I would call gold coast and talk to Tom Reynolds...really went out of his way for me on two seperate occasions.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:55 AM

I think I have shared this before, but my experience with Green Brook was better than I have had with any other dealership here in NJ, or in NY, MA, MOor RI.
They gave memuch more than my trade in was worth, a good dealon the Alpha and transferredmy goodies (including the marker lightswhich they had to replace on my trade in due to the Rivnuts sticking out of the roof) from my '07 H3 Adventure to the Alpha.
I found the sales person, finance, parts and service departments to be better and nicer than those in any other dealership I have been to in decades.

To be honest,I had gone back to the dealership ( a different one in NJ) I bought my '07 from first to give them the opportunity to make me a repeat customer. They made promises that weren't kept took a deposit and waited 5 days before looking for the AlphaI wanted.When I went to Green Brook, I did start out by telling them of my experience and that I had walked out of a deal there.I told them I had my credit card company take back my deposit AND told them I was in no hurry to get a new vehicle. Maybe that helped them appreciate that I could walk away without looking back.
I was asked "What can we do to get you into this vehicle today?" Igave them my list, my offer and my asking price for my trade-in and said I would make no deals today but would be back tomorrow with a deposit depending on what they could do. I got everything I asked for.
Nothing to gain or lose by saying this, no financial nor personal interest, just sharing my experience.

P.S. Once I put the PlusOne light bar back on, I'll post some pics.