PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Gpcalero's Spartan Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 AM

Truck looks great. I'm on the hunt right now for a white H3 Alpha. Might have to "borrow" some of your ideas.....

Old 10-07-2012, 09:52 PM

Found a stock H3 at the college and pulled up to compare rides.

Name:  IMG_1917_zps34d459cb.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  56.7 KB

The difference is there. I just wish it was a bit more. I have around ~2 inches more height. I'm just guessing. Just wish it was a bit more to be honest, ha.

Name:  IMG_1915_zpscd21ea4f.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  66.9 KB

Another view.

Finally took the 3 wheeling a bit the other day with one of my buds. He drives a Jeep (I know...). Had some fun though

Name:  IMG_1922_zps00b93f06.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  106.1 KB

Just a lot of sugar sand out here, no biggie.

Name:  IMG_1921_zps034302d1.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  116.6 KB

The only thing you have to worry about over here is any sugar sand next to ponds....they'll give way and you might get pulled in and get stuck in sand/water slush. Easy way to tip over too. Almost happened to me.

Also on the verge of ordering Blistein front leveling shocks here in the next few days. I've heard that others just simply put spacers between the stock shock mount points and kept their stock shocks? Any input or feedback regarding this?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM

Hey man ill be down there in early November. We should go wheeling when I come down there. Looks like a fun spot.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:15 PM

Name:  IMG_1969_zpsc790105f.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  159.3 KB

Yup. Air Docs intake. Install tomorrow.

Stay tuned.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:03 AM

Install day.

The Air Docs intake kit comes with a pretty detailed set of instructions. But it was an extremely easy install.

Name:  IMG_1972_zpsd6f50f6f.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  88.2 KB

A close up on the clearance dent in the tube

Name:  IMG_1973_zpsf33a7150.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  84.3 KB

First thing was to take off the existing resonator box and a couple pieces of tubing. Simple enough, all done with a 10mm socket wrench.

While I was at it, I disconnected the mass airflow sensor and the top of the cold air intake.

Name:  IMG_1976_zpsa28947d4.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  112.6 KB

Removed the filter and found dirt and sand on the underside of it, and more in the bottom portion of the air box. Since it was pretty caked on, I removed it and thoroughly cleaned all debris out.

Name:  IMG_1977_zps65c1e14c.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  105.0 KB

Clean!

Name:  IMG_1978_zpsf1465c13.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  85.1 KB

Bolted her back in and whipped out the new filter from K&N.

Name:  IMG_1981_zpsa35bb280.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  99.6 KB

So from my experience from this install, I know now that there's really no room for a throttle body spacer. IDK how some of the other people have a TBS and an Air Docs because there's simply no room.

The tubing was a b**** to get on though. I tried connecting everything after putting the top back on the air box, but found it easier to loosely put together everything on the top portion of the airbox while disconnected, then installing it as one piece to the throttle body, tightening all connections after some adjustments.

Name:  IMG_1983_zps27525021.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  86.0 KB

Done! I thought about painting the tube matte black at first...but I like it the way it came, very nice finish.

Name:  IMG_1985_zpse587b8a5.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  121.8 KB

Real world gains???? Not really sure, haven't had enough time with it yet. With the new filter and the resonator delete, the Air Docs system definitely sounds different at WOT in the upper RPM ranges. Overall, I think it is worth it.

I want to thank Doc for this great product, and for the extremely fast shipping, wow!

I want to continue with the mods, just can't make up my mind on the next ones....any suggestions?

Old 01-08-2013, 06:21 PM

Update:

• 37,000 miles: Changed transmission fluid
  • 39,000 miles: Replaced front brakes

Old 01-08-2013, 10:10 PM

I want to continue with the mods, just can't make up my mind on the next ones....any suggestions?

Have you thought about dipping your two breather caps black?

or

Do the whole center area of the hood and the louvers from the grill back to the wind shield?

Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gpcalero
Install day.

I want to thank Doc for this great product, and for the extremely fast shipping, wow!

Thank you for your business and support! Name:  nanadrinkkris.gif
Views: 159
Size:  4.0 KB

I do have a mod suggestion. If you have not already, do the PCMforless tune, set for the intake and CAT back, then you will see what an almost complete package can do.

I am not sure I would rush into an Efan conversion in FL because it will be running a bunch with the AC much of the year down there, but you could also look at a port polished TB?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:57 PM

Where can one purchase an air docs intake?

Edit: Google answered my question. Carry on.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gunner_45

Have you thought about dipping your two breather caps black?

or

Do the whole center area of the hood and the louvers from the grill back to the wind shield?
Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Thank you for your business and support!

I do have a mod suggestion. If you have not already, do the PCMforless tune, set for the intake and CAT back, then you will see what an almost complete package can do.

I am not sure I would rush into an Efan conversion in FL because it will be running a bunch with the AC much of the year down there, but you could also look at a port polished TB?
Gunner, I am thinking about doing the OldYeller mod and spraying my front amber turn signal lights....not sure yet.

Thanks Doc! I'm looking into Supermodulation's ported throttlebody, not sure if it's polished...but I've emailed him earlier today. Do you think that's a good bet? I've seen people pretty happy with theirs on the Colorado forum. I'm definitely getting a pcm4less tune sometime, either soon or after the ported TB (if I do end up going that route).

Quick Reply: Gpcalero's Spartan Build