PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Gpcalero's Spartan Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:22 PM

My plastidip scratched all to heck the first time I wheeled it, I wheel in Arizona and the trees around the trail wreak havoc, worst money I ever spent. Looked sweet for 5 or 6 hours though, until I hit the first trail.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:35 PM

And... here's some shots of the grill and wheels. It's not very hard to do. It's the waiting between coats was what got me haha...

Four coats.

Name:  IMG_1583.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  90.1 KB

One done!

Name:  IMG_1582.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  67.5 KB

Finished the rest of the wheels then started the front grill

Just a couple of coats in this pic

Name:  IMG_1601.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  58.7 KB

And here it is finished and reattached

Name:  IMG_1608.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  55.5 KB

It took a while but the look was well worth it! And it's very easy to clean if you used the sprayer the texture is smoother than the cans, I use a softer bath sponge to get mud off.

More to come...

Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by 8lug
My plastidip scratched all to heck the first time I wheeled it, I wheel in Arizona and the trees around the trail wreak havoc, worst money I ever spent. Looked sweet for 5 or 6 hours though, until I hit the first trail.
Really? That's odd. I've wheeled with it on now about 5-6 times and never had a scratch. The only scratch I have were from the machines putting on new tires (hardly noticeable). Plasti-dip is cheap and it only takes 5-10 min to reapply.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 PM

Where did you buy those wheels? Those look sharp!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by gpcalero
Really? That's odd. I've wheeled with it on now about 5-6 times and never had a scratch. The only scratch I have were from the machines putting on new tires (hardly noticeable). Plasti-dip is cheap and it only takes 5-10 min to reapply.
To be honest I only did emblems and gas cap cover the first time 5 coats. They scratched bad. I have since, since I had a ton of plastidip left, sprayed all my chrome. I'll be wheeling in 2 weeks so we'll see how it goes.

Your truck looks sweet man! Keep the updates coming!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:45 AM

x2 on where'd you get those wheels!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by 8lug
x2 on where'd you get those wheels!
Originally Posted by slateblueh3
Where did you buy those wheels? Those look sharp!
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure they were a dealer installed upgrade. I personally haven't seen any factory H3's that came with these except for mine. I think they look better plasti-dipped than 18 inches of shiny chrome, haha.

Update:
Nitto Trail Grapplers are in! Stay tuned!

Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 AM

A few of you know already....but I kept most of you in the dark about this one.

Lil Sparta decided she wanted new lights. Something to set her apart that few have....what should it be?

Build pic after last post with stock lights.

While the stock lights provided that iconic 'Hummer' look, we decided we wanted to move on to bigger and better things...

Then I came across the STARR HID's.....wow what a beauty! That was it, that was the look. And after talking to my good buddy Wfturner on the forums and on the phone a few times, I was convinced and had my mind set. Thanks again bud!

So I contacted Chris Nelson from Top Line Group Automotive, who specializes in aftermarket lighting. They even do custom specialty products. After a half hour of chit-chat, Chris made me a deal. Couldn't say no =)

The STARR HID's come stock with 35W ballasts and 4000K bulbs. Chris, being a nice guy and trying to promote his business, upgraded me to 55W ballasts and 6000K bulbs, and it STILL was cheaper than list price. =)

Check Top Line Group Automotive out, they have excellent customer service. http://www.tlg-auto.com/ I went through three wiring harness (two wrong ones but still usable) and he sent them out for nothing. Now I have extra parts. Haha, my garage is becoming full of Hummer parts.

Half-a$$ed fitment and lighting testing.

Name:  IMG_1642.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  57.8 KB

I have nothing but good things to say about them other than the price! They are complete housings. Full kit, not retrofitted. No baking the stock housings, no adding to the stock lights. Stock lights come off and put in storage! They can handle the higher temperatures that many ebay cheap-o's might not. Purpose built, again nothing but good things to say!

I had to cut a small 2 by 2 inch square from the headlight mounts for the back of the projector to fit though. They are about 2-3 inches longer than stock.

More pics in a bit!

Last edited by gpcalero; 09-20-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:32 PM

You can also the dual Wolo horns I mentioned earlier in the build that I didn't have pics for.

&& Here's another shot of the new smoked LED tails

It's a crappy pic I know but I'll deff have professional shots taken up soon, I promise!

Name:  IMG_1613.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  40.0 KB

I don't have any pics of the STARR HID install... My fault.

Here's the completed install.

And another with the lights on

Name:  IMG_1650.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  79.9 KB

Final pic after install...

Name:  IMG_1648.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  72.3 KB

More to come...Stay tuned!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:01 AM

Just like I promised, here's some shots I had taken a few days back!

Not complete yet, but she's getting there!

Name:  DSC_3195.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  49.2 KB

Close up of new grille and STARR HID's

Name:  DSC_3192.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  68.0 KB

Better pic of the front

Name:  DSC_3198.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  46.8 KB
Name:  DSC_3214.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  35.0 KB

The little stock tires are gonna be history in a few days haha

View of the back after an air guitar lol.

Name:  DSC_3200.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  59.6 KB

And a close up of the smoked LED's

Name:  DSC_3212.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  54.4 KB
Name:  DSC_3188.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  60.5 KB

Thought this one was funny. Got 'shot' soon as I parked.

Got a few shots of myself while I was at it too! Unrelated yeah I know. Don't really watch soccer much, but I have a passion for playing. College team was champion of intramurals a few semesters ago...

Name:  DSC_3186.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  98.1 KB

Final overall shots.

Name:  DSC_3206.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  64.3 KB

Okay outta money! Next mods plan to have are Blisten shocks with extended bumpstops (unless you know of better leveling shocks), matte black locking fuel door, black hood handles (maybe H2 handles if they could fit?), airdocs intake & PCM4less tune, and POSSIBLY new fog lights (something....different).

I want to hear your opinions and thoughts, speak out! Any advice on the shocks and/or hood handles would be appreciated. Also how easy would the shock install be? I haven't really looked into the actual install (not so sure about the process). I do everything myself and figure most things out.

What do you think?

295/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers install in a few days! Stay tuned

Quick Reply: Gpcalero's Spartan Build