PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gasket replacement on power steering

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Default gasket replacement on power steering

Hi Guys,

Has anyone replace the gasket on the lid of their power stering box? mine is leaking and I tried to change it, removed 4 bolts ok and the nut on the threaded bolt in the center of the lid but I couldnt get it to come off to get the new gaset on so used some gasket paste in the mean time, helpappreciated

Old 11-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: gasket replacement on power steering

I don't want to rain on your parade.... but the stud and jamb nut is an adjustment for the freeplay...

the 4 bolts are to take the center part out.... the part attached to your pitman arm...

You are not attempting a simple gasket change... you are toying with having to rebuild your entire box...

In my humble opinion.... or course... advice may vary here...

Old 11-11-2007, 04:04 PM

i've never taken mine apart, and it never leaked. but the sector shaft that connects to the pitman arm was worn and they replaced the whole box - luckily it was under warranty, 'cuz those babies ain't cheap and neither is the labor. if you put it back together, how is your steering now?

Old 11-11-2007, 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Muddydawg75

I don't want to rain on your parade.... but the stud and jamb nut is an adjustment for the freeplay...

the 4 bolts are to take the center part out.... the part attached to your pitman arm...

You are not attempting a simple gasket change... you are toying with having to rebuild your entire box...

In my humble opinion.... or course... advice may vary here...

Thanks for the info Dawg, steering is ok and no leak now, I just thought it would have been better to fit the proper gasket.

Problem is in Ireland no mechanic wants to look at its as not a standard run of the mill car, but then that why I bought it. Is the correct place for the pitman arm up tight to the bottom of the pump?