PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Alpha head gasket gone bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Default 2009 Alpha head gasket gone bad

I took the H3 to the dealer this morning. I've been losing coolant for a while, topped it off and made an appointment. I didn't see any coolant on the ground, but did read about some bad rads that may be the culprit. Nope ... just checked with the service department a few hours ago and they said it was a bad head gasket. It's under warranty, but this still leaves me a bit uneasy. It'll be there for a few days. I didn't want to drive it this way any more than I had to. This is my second H3. First one was an I5 and this time the Alpha. I really do like this truck, but

Old 04-04-2011, 02:48 PM

That's kinda scary! I've read about different issues with the I5 engines, but this is the first for an Alpha!

Old 04-04-2011, 04:20 PM

uh oh

Old 04-04-2011, 10:57 PM

You will be just fine. I wouldn't be too worried about a bad head gasket. As long as its replaced properly you shouldn't have any issue again. Your head is fine, unlike the early I5 issues where it was a valve seat / casting issue. Yours is a very servicable part that does go bad on some engines regardless of the manufacturer (Ford, Chrysler, GM, Nissan, VW, Honda, Toyota, etc)

Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaH3again
I took the H3 to the dealer this morning. I've been losing coolant for a while, topped it off and made an appointment. I didn't see any coolant on the ground, but did read about some bad rads that may be the culprit. Nope ... just checked with the service department a few hours ago and they said it was a bad head gasket. It's under warranty, but this still leaves me a bit uneasy. It'll be there for a few days. I didn't want to drive it this way any more than I had to. This is my second H3. First one was an I5 and this time the Alpha. I really do like this truck, but
Was it one gasket, or both, did the dealer say?

Wonder what the likelihood is of the other head gasket going in short time.....

How many miles? Did you ever overheat?

Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by PhilB
Was it one gasket, or both, did the dealer say?

Wonder what the likelihood is of the other head gasket going in short time.....

How many miles? Did you ever overheat?
Dealer did not specify how many gaskets. I'll be there this Thursday to see how things are going and find out then. 32,000 miles and never overheated.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:24 PM

Dealer did not specify how many gaskets. I'll be there this Thursday to see how things are going and find out then. 32,000 miles and never overheated.
I smell Bull Shizz!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 PM

The chance of both head gaskets going bad and driving it to the dealer are slim to none, motors lose a head gaskets for many reason....ask them to inspect the head or send it to a machine to inspect it (mainly for flatness) I will be worth the peace of mind for the little money you will sped for this.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:35 AM

Picked up the truck late Wednesday. That was a quick turnaround. Service dept. said they only get 4.5 hours to replace a head gasket. They only replaced the left ... it was the only one leaking. Seems OK. I smell coolant, but I guess that's expected after a head gasket replacement. Idle was a little rough, but smoothed out after it warmed up. They inspected for any other damage and claim all is well. I'll wait this one out and keep my fingers crossed. The job came in at over $2000, but was under warranty.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:49 AM

Service dept. said they only get 4.5 hours to replace a head gasket. The job came in at over $2000, but was under warranty.

Something doesn't add up! The dealership gets $100 an hour for labor. Times 4.5 hours is $450. You mean a head gasket replacement requires more then $1500 in parts??? I'd sure be questioning THAT one even thought it was under warranty!

Quick Reply: 2009 Alpha head gasket gone bad