PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel System/Injector Cleaner - Let's discuss

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:39 PM
Default RE: Fuel System/Injector Cleaner - Let's discuss

I've never used it, I use or used 104 octane treatment and Marvel Mystery Oil and a good water remover every once in a while. Redline does work well also when I can find it. Thing is though, if you do allot of hwy driving your plugs stay clean. Over here I have a Toyota Hilux ( for on base) and one day it was miss firing, spitting and stuff.So I just drove around the air srtipin first/second gear and tached it out and it cleared up. I think if you putt around you will get carbon build up, so laying you foot into it once and awhile it will keep things clean.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy
<snip>
It's supposed to lubricate your piston rings as well as clean your injectors.
<snip>
Doesn't the engine oil lubricate the piston rings?

If you need to clean the injectors, use one of the products like 3MUniversal Fuel Injector Cleaner that connects a pressurized can to the fuel rail and runs the engine with the fuel pump disconnected.

If you want to run something in your tank, use a top tier fuel. http://www.toptiergas.com/

Old 04-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

That's why I keep bringing it up. I didn't understand that theory. I thought oil was supposed to do that as well

Old 04-08-2008, 11:42 PM

The Top ring of the Piston is not lubricated by the engine oil. You usually have 3 rings the top 2 control and keep your compression, the 3rd ring is the oil ring that controls the oil to lube your piston area.

There are many fuel additives for this and that, and even your major brands of fuel are different. Though we really don't need to do or add anything. If you look in the owners manual it will tell you when it is recommended to clean the EFI. I try to find something that works and stick with it. Funny thought, I think that its is a Male paranoia about how our vehicle runs, sounds, looks and what we feed it.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:54 AM

I have used the STP fuel injector cleaner, not noticed any difference, I will try Lucas next time I change the oil, I try to do them same time.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Just drop a couple ***** enlargement pills in the tank once a month. It has the same effect on your fuel injectors as all those additives. NOTHING.

The stuff is sold like fancy dog/cat food ads, they try and make it look appealing on TV/magazines, but the friggin cat/dog ain't watching TV/reading the magazines, you are. If it sounds or looks good, you might buy it. I do not have a cat/dog, so I do not buy it.

I do not need injector cleaner, good old gas and driving take care of them. I will use dry gas for storage of bikes/cars, and I will use fuel line deicer in the worst of winter when they call for a nasty cold snap because my 3 is outside.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:26 AM

I hear you Doc, It really is just a sugar pill solution I think.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:20 AM

i tried it on my cadillac 2 weeks ago... and to be honest didn't see any difference what so ever except i wasted 9.99 + tax... and since i had some left over i put some on the hummer and guess what... didn't see any difference...