PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front locking diff avail 2009

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:31 AM
Default RE: Front locking diff avail 2009

Please forgive my ignorance.

I have an 07 h3 3.7l with what I thought was locking differential (adventure package). What do you all mean when you say the front will have a locking differential? I thought that when I locked it 50/50 that all the wheels were locked the same?

Can you all enlighten me on what I am missing? What is the advantage of the locking front since apparently I dont have that, hehe.

Thanks,

Rob

Old 04-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Rob, you are thinking/talking about locking the Transfer Case. When you lock 4x4 with the buttons to the left side (the transfer case buttons...4hi, 4hi lock, and 4lo lock).

To lock the rear differential on an 07 Adventure, the button is to the right...next to the Traction Control/StabiliTrack button.....the one that shows four tires with an X in between the back two.

When you lock the T case, you lock the front and rear power distribution at 50% to each. The right and left side tires on the front or rear axle are not locked to eachother, even limited slip or the old posi traction does not "lock" the left and right tires together, it still allows them to spin at different speeeds for turning and based upon traction to each, may allow one to spin faster than the other.

A locking differential is that......it "locks" the left and right tires (left and right axels)to spin equally all the time regardles of traction/turning. It takes the 50-50% front to rear from the T case, and equally divides it right to left.

I hope this helps.
This is why locking differentials are desired by the serious wheeler. Without a locker, you could have a 4x4 that just spins one front tire, and one rear tire while the Transfer Case is locked in 4lo or hi. Not really a 4x4 then, is it?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: josh1899
I'm assuming the front diff is able to be retrofitted to 08's (alphas w/ cast iron front housings)
ORIGINAL: 3hummers
Supposedly they will retrofit to the 08 without issue but no one has done it yet so we will see.
The front diff will be the same cast iron one that is currently offered in the Alphas (and found under my truck ). Assuming the carrier fits with the 4.56 gears, and it should, that part should be a bolt-in replacement. Of course you could also swap in the entire diff assembly and re-gear the rear to 4.10's. The trick will be the electrical and possibly having to reprogram whatever computer the lockers are tied into.

BTW, the half-shafts for '09 have been beefed up as well. Larger, stronger cages for the CV joints. [sm=smiley20.gif] I think they're just a tad longer (didn't measure so not positive)but should still fit earlier models.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:47 PM

ORIGINAL: ReconH3

ORIGINAL: Hummer Guy

Front diff, bluetooth, new rearview camera system...
The rearview camera is already available. Mine has it. It's great since you can't see a thing when backing up.
It's a new style of camera that doesn't slide in and out - the monitor is actually behind the glass then appears through the glass when in use - pretty cool.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: ReconH3

Front diff, bluetooth, new rearview camera system...
The rearview camera is already available. Mine has it. It's great since you can't see a thing when backing up.
It's a new style of camera that doesn't slide in and out - the monitor is actually behind the glass then appears through the glass when in use - pretty cool.
Cool!!!! Great idea. I guess if mine breaks one day I'll just replace it with one of those to avoid moving parts.