PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a surprise today while changing oil.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by norinco3264
My 06 H3 w/ 70k miles also has the front CV seal leak. I bought all four and plan to replace them all in the spring. BTW, I discovered the leak spring of this year, but it's such a small leak (doesn't even drip on the ground, just a greasy area).

The seals are cheap, there are a few writeups online for this job.

I'll throw you a bone (I sure hope this is the correct one haha)

H3/H3T front differential removal, seal replacement, bushing fix.
Thank you Sir!

I plan to tackle this project next weekend if I can gather all needed parts. I'll update when I get it done.

Thanks again for the link!

Old 11-23-2014, 07:25 PM

After spending the better part of two or three hours reading up on my seal issue. I found a lot of people having issues with the Diff bushings. I snapped some pics of my stuff today and maybe you guys can tell me what I'm looking at and if I'm in need of changing these bushings also.

First pic is of the cross member and the Diff bushing. Plus you can see where the diff oil has been leaking onto the cross member. This bushing looks to be in alright working order to me but I could use a second opinion, please.

Name:  IMG_0079.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  72.6 KB

This pic is showing the bottom of the cross member where there is some bushing material and a 2 or 3 inch washer. Lighting sucked and I couldn't get a good pic of the bushing in this pic.

Third pic is of the drivers side cross member and the bushing in this pic looks pretty bad and this is where I need help. What bushing is this and where can I find a place to order a new one?

Name:  IMG_0086.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  57.3 KB

Just to recap my truck is a 2006 with 75,000 miles. Its only seen the mud twice but I did spend three years stationed in Alaska and drove in some pretty nasty deep snow. Now me and my truck are back home in Texas and I'm wondering with the age of my truck do you guys think it is time to change out any bushing I can get to for longevity sake? I'm not worried about dropping the coin either. The truck is paid off and I plan to keep it and drive it until the wheels fall off.

Thanks for the Help!!

Kirch

Old 11-24-2014, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by stvnkrchnr
After spending the better part of two or three hours reading up on my seal issue. I found a lot of people having issues with the Diff bushings. I snapped some pics of my stuff today and maybe you guys can tell me what I'm looking at and if I'm in need of changing these bushings also.

First pic is of the cross member and the Diff bushing. Plus you can see where the diff oil has been leaking onto the cross member. This bushing looks to be in alright working order to me but I could use a second opinion, please.

This pic is showing the bottom of the cross member where there is some bushing material and a 2 or 3 inch washer. Lighting sucked and I couldn't get a good pic of the bushing in this pic.

Third pic is of the drivers side cross member and the bushing in this pic looks pretty bad and this is where I need help. What bushing is this and where can I find a place to order a new one?

Just to recap my truck is a 2006 with 75,000 miles. Its only seen the mud twice but I did spend three years stationed in Alaska and drove in some pretty nasty deep snow. Now me and my truck are back home in Texas and I'm wondering with the age of my truck do you guys think it is time to change out any bushing I can get to for longevity sake? I'm not worried about dropping the coin either. The truck is paid off and I plan to keep it and drive it until the wheels fall off.

Thanks for the Help!!

Kirch
Anyone actually ever done these steps,

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  56.4 KB

If so please explain your method. I'm a little confused as to why you need the readings before and if you mark the pinion, yoke and nut plus measure the exposed threads how the reading could change just replacing the pinion seal.

Thanks!

Old 11-29-2014, 09:34 AM

My driver side axle seal started leaking at about 75,000 miles. A local mechanic did the job for about $180.