PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Found out why front axel leaked... CAUTION W/ TORSIN BARS (long post but worth it)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Default RE: Found out why front axel leaked... CAUTION W/ TORSIN BARS (long post but worth it)

my front diff hasn't grenaded since i put the 37's on, but i'm starting to see your side of the argument. i haven't tried taking off the sway bar except to put the new shocks on, but i'm thinking that would allow my shocks to extend fully and, while not dropping another 2 feet, give me some better traction. still, i haven't been left stranded because of the airborne wheels and haven't embarrassed myself yet. i'm sure that's coming some day, but for now i don't see a need to be too passionate about it one way or the other. thanks for the lesson, school's out for summer . . . . . . .

Old 11-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Default RE: Found out why front axel leaked... CAUTION W/ TORSIN BARS (long post but worth it)

yea, unhooking your sway bar will give you some more droop..not major but another 6" I would assume. Older SFA rigs with leaf sprung front ends were more limited in articulation than the new IFS trucks...simply cause the leaf packs wouldn't allow much drop...but the newer sfa's with coils and even coil overed front ends are awesome...it's kinda nuts watching them flex. There's a video that was posted on my jeep board of a guy with a 8" long arm kit with coil overson a grand cherokee going through rubicon..it was insane to watch the flex this thing had...then they split screened it with the camera the spotter was holding and the camera mounted on the dash...the truck itself hardly ever pitched or rolled...just stayed straight and smooth like driving on the highway....it was pretty cool to watch. I'll try to find it but that was like 3 years ago.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 PM

That story is total BS! We wheel the heck out of our H3 with them cranked to the extreme & Cognito shocks and not one issue.

I am with Doc Olds on this and must say you have no idea what you are doing if you are jumping the darn thing!If that's the kind of offroading you do, then be prepared to break much more steering components and not just the minor stuff you noted above!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

ORIGINAL: mfish

I didn't read past the original post in the thread cause I don't feel like reading all day...but.....your dealer is a freekin idiot!!!! In an IFS truck the cv-joint seals are the weaest link...they will start leaking on a stock truck that "get's air" or gets wheeled hard...sure adjusting the t-bars changes teh cv angles...the SAME as any front leveling lift kit does...the only way to get around this would be to buy a lift that has a diff lowering bracket that will lower the diff keeping the cv angles near stock....but even then you will get leaky boots at some point in the trucks life....this is why IFS BLOWS for offroad use and why no GMhummer will ever be respected as the off road leader...unless gm gets smart and changes design in the future...but that will never happen as they are all tooled for IFS.
IF IFS blows why do all desert racers use it?
not too sure cause I'm no desert race engineer, my guess would be that like Halls hummers they have to maintain stock specs.....but are you seriously going to argue that IFS is better than a SFA?!?! If so...WOW!! Anybody that knows anything about off roading and off road rig building will tell you that a SFA is better.....more articualtion...no weak *** cv-joints and half shafts....why do you think there are like 20 componies out there selling IFS to SFA conversion kits but not one selling a SFA to IFS kit?
WOW! I never said IFS was better than SFA...I was just curious. I know that SFA's are better for most situations...In the unlimited class trophy trucks you could use either but you dont see SFA's...only IFS, there must be a reason? I am sure there are pros and cons with both...but I dont know cuz I am not desert race engineer either. All I know is my H3 kicks *** when I go to baja...too bad there's been a huge number of robberies and carjackings down there over the past few months.

And dude...you really got to mellow out, you seem so grumpy all the time. Have a beer, maybe 12..or maybe some....

[IMG]local://upfiles/2273/A14F9E34183A41769846182180373552.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 PM

just messin around with ya....this place is boring most the times...gotta spice it up a lil[8D]Shorty understood that I wasn't serious....sorry if you didn't, my bad.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 11-14-2007, 11:10 PM

I hear ya..tis all good[sm=partyparty.gif]

Old 11-15-2007, 04:10 PM

OK, here's a question I have after reading the comment about desert racers using an IFS setup:

Is it possible that for desert RACING, the IFS might be better? Those guys aren't exactly crawling over giant boulders. It's off road, and rough, but it's not rock crawling. Is this case, would there be benefits to using an IFS?

Off-road engineering is NOT my area of knowledge at all, but I do have a decent understanding of both solid axles and independent suspensions, they were just located in the back of the car. [8D]

Old 11-15-2007, 04:35 PM

Well first off, the majority ofdesert race trucks are actualy 2x4's....not 4x4's. These are the desert race trucks of SCORE and the closed-course trucks of CORR. lighter, faster, which is why you see them jumping all teh time but never having damage...cause there is nothing up front but an IFS with no diff,tcase,halfshafts,or cv's.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:46 PM

Well first off, the majority ofdesert race trucks are actualy 2x4's....not 4x4's.
Ahh... well that certainly changes things. But if most of them are 2x4, then are the ones that are actually 4x4 using an IFS, or solid axle? Is there a weight savings with IFS?

(Again, I'm not trying to argue the merits of one over the other, I'm just curious...)

Old 11-15-2007, 05:46 PM

I'm sure there is a slight weight gain by using an IFS..plus for high speed stuff I would assume that ifs would be better as it has less flex,less flex =faster rebound and a smoother ride....but for the most part a desert pre-runner is a 2 wheel drive truck.

Quick Reply: Found out why front axel leaked... CAUTION W/ TORSIN BARS (long post but worth it)