PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Found out why front axel leaked... CAUTION W/ TORSIN BARS (long post but worth it)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Default RE: Found out why front axel leaked... CAUTION W/ TORSIN BARS (long post but worth it)

ORIGINAL: importkiller

I didn't read past the original post in the thread cause I don't feel like reading all day...but.....your dealer is a freekin idiot!!!! In an IFS truck the cv-joint seals are the weaest link...they will start leaking on a stock truck that "get's air" or gets wheeled hard...sure adjusting the t-bars changes teh cv angles...the SAME as any front leveling lift kit does...the only way to get around this would be to buy a lift that has a diff lowering bracket that will lower the diff keeping the cv angles near stock....but even then you will get leaky boots at some point in the trucks life....this is why IFS BLOWS for offroad use and why no GMhummer will ever be respected as the off road leader...unless gm gets smart and changes design in the future...but that will never happen as they are all tooled for IFS.
IF IFS blows why do all desert racers use it?

Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Default RE: Found out why front axel leaked... CAUTION W/ TORSIN BARS (long post but worth it)

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

stlH3: I like the Avatar! Great lookin little man by the 3, cool. 2.5 Turns is fine, IMO you don't need shock extenders at that setting, but HummerGuy does. You may consider front shock, I assume you do not have the heavier duty Adventure series shocks? Those Cognitos are sweet, but there are others.

The reason I asked you if they lowered your T bar setting, because IF it really was an issue, they would have. Sometimes **** happens for whatever reason.

HummerGuy, I had 167K miles on my old GMC, the T bars werereindexed with a superlift kit, don't be loosin any sleep on your T bars wearing out just yet!
Thanks...

I'll consider the Cognitos and you are right, I do not have the Adventure series.

Great info all around......

Old 11-14-2007, 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: mfish

ORIGINAL: importkiller

I didn't read past the original post in the thread cause I don't feel like reading all day...but.....your dealer is a freekin idiot!!!! In an IFS truck the cv-joint seals are the weaest link...they will start leaking on a stock truck that "get's air" or gets wheeled hard...sure adjusting the t-bars changes teh cv angles...the SAME as any front leveling lift kit does...the only way to get around this would be to buy a lift that has a diff lowering bracket that will lower the diff keeping the cv angles near stock....but even then you will get leaky boots at some point in the trucks life....this is why IFS BLOWS for offroad use and why no GMhummer will ever be respected as the off road leader...unless gm gets smart and changes design in the future...but that will never happen as they are all tooled for IFS.
IF IFS blows why do all desert racers use it?
not too sure cause I'm no desert race engineer, my guess would be that like Halls hummers they have to maintain stock specs.....but are you seriously going to argue that IFS is better than a SFA?!?! If so...WOW!! Anybody that knows anything about off roading and off road rig building will tell you that a SFA is better.....more articualtion...no weak *** cv-joints and half shafts....why do you think there are like 20 componies out there selling IFS to SFA conversion kits but not one selling a SFA to IFS kit?

Old 11-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Don't you get better grip and surface area traction using IFS? I thought with SFA the tire tread angle is at the mercy of whatever angle the axle is bent?

I know nothing about the difference but want to learn, sorry

Old 11-14-2007, 03:51 PM

but that's just it..with SFA at least you have tire on the ground...with IFS you have very limeted articulation and in most severe cases your tire is spinning uselessly in the air. If the type of wheeling you do keeps both front wheels on teh ground in an IFS they your wheeling is easy to light duty and a stock IFS is good for your needs...for moderate to heavy duty wheeling IFS will leave you stuck more times than SFA...plus a 35 on an IFS is about all I would go...too weak to go bigger....you can go to a 44 or bigger on a SFA...depending on the axle.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:58 PM

i'm not following the logic here. i don't see how sfa is going to always keep both front tires on the ground. i've always had at least one front tire on the ground, and i've done more than moderate wheeling a few times. i'm not arguing that sfa isn't necessarily better since i've never had a vehicle with it, but i don't see an excessive advantage over IFS either. just trying to figure out why IFS is so worthless but continues to keep me moving forward.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:01 PM

here...for an example, go to shorty's gallery and look at the ic at the rim ( I believe) in Moab...see how his tire is in the air? In a SFA it would be at least on the ground giving some traction..like this

Old 11-14-2007, 04:04 PM

guys...in an SFA you can unlock your sway bar...dropping the axle to the suspensions limits...with a long arm suspension kit you have A LOT OF DROP!!!! In an IFS if you your rig on an angle like that you would roll.....with an unlocked sway on a SFA the body stays somewhat straight.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:07 PM

that was golden crack.

but that would only keep both front on the ground if you had the suspension travel to let it articulate that far. if not, you'd either have both on the front down and one in the back coming up, or one in the front in the air. still, comparing that truck to a stock hummer isn't exactly the way to make a case. what about a stock sfa against a stock ifs? without the downward travel extended, i don't see a huge advantage stock to stock.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:13 PM

That was just an example...bad one maybe but you see what I mean....When my rubi was stock and I unlock the sway bar I had a good two - three feet of droop...I tried jacking the truck up and you couldn't get the tire off the ground with the disco unhooked...and it was a big industrial jack from a off road tire shop. The difference is amazing...plus the fact that they are so much more stout than an IFS...one of the reasons you have gone through three diffs is because you are running 37's on an ifs....they just aren't very strong. With the 4" lift on my rubi I have already put the drivers side front tire on the hood of a junked f-150 and drove up it easily...my hummer made it but the body lean was at a scary angle and the rear tire was digging air.

Quick Reply: Found out why front axel leaked... CAUTION W/ TORSIN BARS (long post but worth it)