PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Found out why front axel leaked... CAUTION W/ TORSIN BARS (long post but worth it)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Default Found out why front axel leaked... CAUTION W/ TORSIN BARS (long post but worth it)

Well I was in the dealer today to have my front end checked due to leaks I had described in a previous post. Sure enough, my front axels were leaking with the right side axel partially pulled out! Why, How, you may ask, well it was explained that if you adjust the torsin bars, which I did to fit 35's, you run the chance of over flexing when off roading. Now, ,before I cranked up my torsin bars I checked everywhere to make sure nothing would go wrong. I checked this forum out for all comments on torsin bars. As far as I could find out here and everywhere else, no one was having any problems with them after raised. I CAUTION, BEWARE TO CRANK IT UP IF YOU PLAN ON DOING OFFROADING!! The dealer says that there is usually no problem cranking them up of you just drive around and do small hill climbs and things like that. However if you do anything with major flexing, you can pull your axel out!(I jumped it, just a little bit, but it was fun)Even adding the torsin bar spacers instead of cranking them up can cause this damage. They go on to state that the only way to avoid this is to just add 3 inch suspension kit to keep the sameangles as stock. However if you do this, you will also need new shocks and new wheels with different offsets. So if you are adding 35's and money is no object, gowith the 5 grand or so route with lift kit, shocks and new wheels. If you just like the look of 35's crank away, just don't do any major offroading.

The good news, the dealer was really cool (Lynch Hummer) and covered everything under warranty, whichthey couldhave said it was my fault for cranking the torsin bars.They said that they tighted the ring that keeps the axel in place ( I don't really know what that means), and that this hopefully should avoid any future pulling out of the axel, but I need to keep an eye on it.

Plus, they threw in the 3 missing bolts on my skid plates that Jiffy Lube didn't tighten after an oil change and they fell off.

So, the verdict.... I still like the 35's and wouldn't go back to smaller tires,the dealer suggested to just keep the bars cranked and watch it, will it stop me from offroading when I get the chance? NO.Will I avoid jumping it? Maybe, but it was really fun.I may just go with a lift kit, if5 grand falls in my lap.

Just aCAUTION forpeople considering the torsin bar thingy.,..

Old 11-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Found out why front axel leaked... CAUTION W/ TORSIN BARS (long post but worth it)

Well it's a nice story, but did you get warm milk and tucked in bad after that fable????? You never mentioned a jump before, I could a told you that will f'up your truck. At 4700# +, they are supposed to stay on the ground! Whether you leave the T bars in the nose rake stock position, or add 3-6 turns to get close to level, the front suspension operated EXACTLY the same, it just starts at a raised/higherposition.

A lift kit would not retain stock geometry either. If you cranked the T bars for 35s without shock extenders or new longer travel shocks up front, that is the problem. Get some cognitosCognito/Bilstein H3 (leveled) shocks available againand enjoy offroading on the ground.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Default RE: Found out why front axel leaked... CAUTION W/ TORSIN BARS (long post but worth it)

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm running 35's as well, but I didn't adjust the torsion bar, still on stock height. Almost 2 years now, done a lot of offroading and no problems yet.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

Well it's a nice story, but did you get warm milk and tucked in bad after that fable????? You never mentioned a jump before, I could a told you that will f'up your truck. At 4700# +, they are supposed to stay on the ground! Whether you leave the T bars in the nose rake stock position, or add 3-6 turns to get close to level, the front suspension operated EXACTLY the same, it just starts at a raised/higherposition.

A lift kit would not retain stock geometry either. If you cranked the T bars for 35s without shock extenders or new longer travel shocks up front, that is the problem. Get some cognitosCognito/Bilstein H3 (leveled) shocks available againand enjoy offroading on the ground.

Ok, it wasn't a really big jump, just got the front wheels off a bit, for a very short second.It was more like an incline then a quick drop so the wheels were in the air for a moment, very small. I've seen worse with no problems. And hey.... I'm just stating what the dealer said and wanted to pass along the information.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Golden Shellback

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm running 35's as well, but I didn't adjust the torsion bar, still on stock height. Almost 2 years now, done a lot of offroading and no problems yet.
I didn't think 35's could fit without raising the torsin bars. How close are you?

Old 11-14-2007, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: stlH3

I didn't think 35's could fit without raising the torsin bars. How close are you?

I'm not sure the actual measurements but yes they will fit (315) without touching the t-bar.

Here's a jump.

Name:  DSC01364.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  22.7 KB

Old 11-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

stlH3: Yes I know you were relaying the dealer line. You have confirmed for me my suspicion, when your fron tires left the ground the way you described you may have over extended your front shocks and gave the front axles a snap flex??? Might a happened regardless? Get front extensions or longer travel shocks. I would also agree that the T bars can be over adjusted, but I do not know your specific details.

Qyestion: Did the dealer lower your T bar setting after the repair?

Golden Shellback: Silver Lake Sand Dunes, looks familiar????

Old 11-14-2007, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds
Golden Shellback: Silver Lake Sand Dunes, looks familiar????
Pismo Beach, CA. same trip as this one

Old 11-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

I was just gonna add Idaho?? But I'll also add, Pismo Beach. Look at the Bus rockin!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:57 PM

and nothing broke - both t-rods cranked. the shocks keep the front wheels from dropping farther than they should, so i personally don't see a use for shock extensions.

Quick Reply: Found out why front axel leaked... CAUTION W/ TORSIN BARS (long post but worth it)