PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveline slop

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Default RE: Driveline slop

Yes, I have the same issue as well. It cluncks coming out of a turn. Is this a problem? This is my 1st AWD.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Wrongway1

I run mine pretty hard. Never noticed that noise, but I did notice that I have a new rattle in the dash today. [:@]
Damn this rattle. The dealer can not replicate it. This rattle happens every day and every time I drive it but under some circumstances that I can't replicate either. It does it when it feels like it. It does it as well whenI turn on the car and turn off the car.An no, itsnot the TSB for the steering shaft. I had that fixed as well. Unless, this is caused by the replacement.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:32 PM

If you got a video camera / camcorder you might want to tape it and then show it to the dealer. That way you can catch the noise without looking like "the crazy guy who hears things and sees dead people" at the service desk.

I hope you figure out the source and get it fixed soon!

Old 11-29-2007, 08:07 AM
Default So much for that...

So much for that problem....Answer? Live with it!

Driveline - Clunk Explanation

File In Section: 04 - Driveline Axle

Bulletin No.: 99-04-20-002A

Date: September, 2001

INFORMATION

Subject:
Driveline Clunk

Models:
2002 and Prior Light Duty Truck Models

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-20-002 (Section 04 - Driveline/Axle).

Important: The condition described in this bulletin should not be confused with Driveline Stop Clunk, described in Corporate Bulletin Number 964101R (Chevrolet 92-265-7A, GMC Truck 91-4A-77, Oldsmobile 47-71-20A, GM of Canada 93-4A-100) or Bump/Clunk Upon Acceleration, described in Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-004.

Some owners of light duty trucks equipped with automatic transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise when shifting between Park and Drive, Park and Reverse, or Drive and Reverse. Similarly, owners of vehicles equipped with automatic or manual transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise while driving when the accelerator is quickly depressed and then released.

Whenever there are two or more gears interacting with one another, there must be a certain amount of clearance between those gears in order for the gears to operate properly. This clearance or freeplay (also known as lash) can translate into a clunk noise whenever the gear is loaded and unloaded quickly, or whenever the direction of rotation is reversed. The more gears you have in a system, the more freeplay the total system will have.

The clunk noise that owners sometimes hear may be the result of a buildup of freeplay (lash) between the components in the driveline.

For example, the potential for a driveline clunk would be greater in a 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle than a 2-wheel drive vehicle. This is because in addition to the freeplay from the rear axle gears, the universal joints, and the transmission (common to both vehicles), the 4-wheel drive transfer case gears (and their associated clearances) add additional freeplay to the driveline.

In service, dealers are discouraged from attempting to repair driveline clunk conditions for the following reasons:

Comments of driveline clunk are almost never the result of one individual component with excessive lash, but rather the result of the added affect of freeplay (or lash) present in all of the driveline components.

Because all of the components in the driveline have a certain amount of lash by design, changing driveline components may not result in a satisfactory lash reduction.

While some owners may find the clunk noise objectionable, this will not adversely affect durability or performance.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:52 AM
Default RE: So much for that...

Turns out my advisor stated that the replacement that they put in my H3 is not the final fix. They are still waiting for it. This new rattle/steering colum issue has to do with the steering shaft. He calls it a hormonic imbalance. Note that the part number is the same as the one in the other post. The pedal vibrations went away but now there is something else.We will see.