PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Dealing on an H3

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Default Dealing on an H3

hello all.

I'm new to the forum and just thought I'd pick your brains. I wasn't sure I'd like the H3 and the closest dealership is almost 3 hours away. Well I went and drove both a manual and auto and thought both did just great. (I usually buy manual only but am thinking of an automatic this time.) The dealership didn't have in stock the ones they claimed they did and it was really not a good trip. There was one that was remotely close, Superior Blue, auto, base package, chrome wheels, chrome appearance package and $200 window tint, 270 test drive miles on it and needs a good cleaning. The sticker was something a little over 33k. (I originally was hoping for a very basic one so the price kind of got to me. My big problem is my trade in I guess. I have an 03 Mustang GT manual in pristine condition and they want to 'be generous' and give me 11500. Kbb.com says the 'good' trade in is 12500 or so. And after all was said and done, the difference is something like 21300. To make a long story short I left. Now I'm back home and the next dealership is about 5 hrs away. lol

Seems like there are no incentives and I'm just curious what a good deal would be? How much should they come off MSRP? Just need an idea before I'm at the next place.
Also, I just can't decide on a color!!! I was liking slate blue in pics but in person I don't think it's as good as I thought.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:31 AM
Default RE: Dealing on an H3

Well I've posted this in about three places now,,so why not here too

I got the; Adventure package, Chrome appearance package, Chrome Hood handles, Chrome tubular side steps, Chrome fuel door cover, 6CD/XM/Monsoon sound system, Trailer/tow package, Spare tire cover, Cloth seats, No sunroof (hate those things, always a problem with them)No documentaion fee.. and a full tank of gas for $32,500. OTD

I can recommend a dealer in Little Rock, Arkansas (actually Benton) Called Landers Hummer, they usually have around a 150 H3s in stock to choose from...I got mine at Invoice...They will pick you up from the airport if need be..I was telling someone else here that a majority of their business is from out of state..I worked my whole deal over the phone with them with no cash crossing hands. I drove 380 miles to pickup exactly what I wanted in equip and options, and at exactly the price we worked out, Period!..Very happy.
Call if you're interested...Call Rachael Buck..800-896-5263..Tell her that Dennis from Oklahoma City sent you..She will hook you up.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:41 AM

THANKS!!! You have no idea how valuable this kind of information is to someone looking to buy. I have to wonder if you run into any tax issues buying from out of state. I guess you'd just pay all the taxes when you tag it back in your own state.

Old 04-03-2006, 01:51 AM

ORIGINAL: T bar

THANKS!!! You have no idea how valuable this kind of information is to someone looking to buy. I have to wonder if you run into any tax issues buying from out of state. I guess you'd just pay all the taxes when you tag it back in your own state.
Exactly..No problems at all..

Old 04-03-2006, 02:33 AM

I picked up my factory ordered H3 from a dealer 5 hours away in Las Vegas, Towbin Hummer. The 3 Phoenix dealers are all owned by the same family so not only is there very little off MSRP but there is a mandatory "Desert Protection ppackage" for around $2500 (it includes a useless paint protectant. window tint over the factory tint, fabric protectant) plus on top of that most H3's had ugly but expensive pin stripping.
I had an agreed price of $29,927 with Towbin for a new, ( it had 4 miles on it when it came in- I did not want any miles as I know the test miles can be hard on a vehicle that is not broken in). Options were; automatic, adventurer's package, engine block heater and roof rail air bags. When the H3 finally came in after a 5 week build I drove to Towbin and was told there was a mistake in the pricing. They wanted $1800 more , then went down to $1100 and finally I accepted $400 more than the $29,927 we agreed to because I felt $30300 with all fees, etc ( no tax ) was still a good price.
I really like the H3. Gas mileage has been 17 to 19.5 and should get better when it is broken in. It rides tight , quiet, and secure. Some here complained about a wobbly ride on highway and bet they did not have 36 psi in the tires.The low front and rear over hangs really gets me to places that would take the back bumper off my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Very rich looking interior and lots of stares.
Hope this helps!

Old 04-03-2006, 02:37 AM

PS- My h3 listed for about $33,000 so I got about $2,600 off. If you can sell the Mustang privately and put a deposit on an ordered one. Dealers are more likely to discount an ordered car deeper than one on the lot.
Good luck!

Old 04-03-2006, 02:48 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Especially that info about Phoenix. Our next step was either Phoenix area dealers or Albuquerque. El Paso seems to be run by a bunch of wetbacks and every vehicle has an $800 alarm system that I don't want. But I guess you can't blame them right there by the border. I was under the impression some of these places would want to move something that was on the lot rather than order. They do have a special supposedly that ends April 4 called 'March Madness' where the older stock is discounted $1000.
I think we might try Albuquerque next. Although it's 5 hrs, they claim they have one of just about every color in basic auto with cloth.
As for AR, I might do it at another point in my life but just these shorter trips are enough for me. I'm almost 8 months expectant and hate to get too far from home this late.

I also dread meeting with all the yahoo's that might be interested in my Mustang if I were to sell it locally. As a manual, we won't get many calls on it. Seems shifting gears is a lost art anymore. lol.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:01 PM

Albuquerque is a pretty good place..I almost went with a deal there...But I also weighed the travel time..10 hours vs 5 hours to Arkansas for me...And I'm not even pregnant[&:]

BTW: Good idea on taking the beater off road, rather than a $35,000 new vehicle.[sm=goodidea.gif]

Old 04-03-2006, 03:11 PM

BTW: Good idea on taking the beater off road, rather than a $35,000 new vehicle.[sm=goodidea.gif]
Yeah well the Bronco is pretty nice too but there is NO WAY I would take a brand new Hummer off in the brushy stuff around here!! My gravel driveway will be enough for now.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:36 PM

I got an H3, Auto, Adventure package, Chrome side tubes, 6 Disc Monsoon stereo, trailor package, and dual headrest DVD's.
Paid $30,500.00.

I parked next to a Toyota FJ cruiser yesterday. Next to my H3 it looked like a $25,000.00 vehicle my H3 looked like a $45,000.00 vehicle. H# won hands down