PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Tires, Bad Gearing... gear ratio issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:25 PM

No limited slip in h3,just 3 open differentials in 4 high so thats not an issue.
Old threads on this topic said 2 sizes was like driving in a circle. If thats right then with 6 ft spaced regular tires in a ?, 40 foot circle would be like a 33 in tire and a 40 in tire going straight. We dont drive in circles a lot but it doesnt hurt anything so thats not an issue.
The guy has issues not going to be solved here from what it looks like so why bother any furthur.
I think the supercharger was $10000.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by V8-H3
Is yours a Alpha? Flowmaster says they don't make a system for the Alpha.
No need for a system just a plasma cutter and a welder. Also I have the 3.7 but the Y pipe link to a one way and you can do the same.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by happythree
No limited slip in h3,just 3 open differentials in 4 high so thats not an issue.
Old threads on this topic said 2 sizes was like driving in a circle. If thats right then with 6 ft spaced regular tires in a ?, 40 foot circle would be like a 33 in tire and a 40 in tire going straight. We dont drive in circles a lot but it doesnt hurt anything so thats not an issue.
The guy has issues not going to be solved here from what it looks like so why bother any furthur.

if you believe that, then how bout you try it on yours???

I know a guy who put a used tire on his all wheel drive vehicle, and because it was a different size he ended up replacing a transfercase that cost him a nice chunk of change

Old 07-14-2012, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by drgstrSMB
Just purchased a 2008 H3 Alpha. The guy who had it before me put a 4" Tuff Country lift on it and 37" tires (also a straight exhaust... or rather, no exhaust).

It sounds great, it looks mean, but something doesn't seem right.

At highway speeds the H3 wants to drop down a gear even on very gradual inclines, or sometimes no incline. Oh, and my gas mileage is pathetic (I realize that this is a product of extremely heavy tires and no exhaust -- and it's an H3 -- but I'm talking like 8 or 9 miles to the gallon here).

Do I need to change my gear ratio in order to fix this problem? Rumor is this is a necessary step that I don't think the previous owner did.
What's the easiest way to tackle this?
Originally Posted by drgstrSMB
Yeah the 37s are going to be around for a while. They're 12 wide with negative offset and look retarded mean.... and more importantly no one else has them.

Alright, so if gear ratio change isn't realistic then my only option is the exhaust. I probably am missing back pressure causing the engine to run sub peak. I think - or hope rather - that a tune will help out and/or reveal that I need exhaust.

I hope thats the largest cause of the issue, I mean an extra couple inches on the wheels can't be the most significant reason for the truck to always be right on the edge of dropping to 3rd at 70 mph. Honestly i dont give a **** about the gas mileage but the constant gear change should not be happening on the V8.

SO... what's the word seasoned H3 owners? Give me the bottom line on best exhaust (its gotta have that awesome loud low grumble I've got now.... the guy whole sold it to me said he had already tried flow master and magnaflow, and they were just too quiet -- also it'd be nice if the suggested exhaust doesn't trip my check engine light).
AND... what's the best super chip? HollaBack.
1. You are not the only one who has 37s on an H3/H3T. I've seen it on I5s and now a few Alphas.
2. You need to regear to the 4:56s (f&R).That will get you back to the same basic ratio as a 4:10 geared H3/H3T on 35s.
3. As Doc mentioned, Superchips Flashpaq or Superchips Cortex (for multiple GM vehicles) will be your best bet for a pug and go tuner. You can swap back to the stock tune which is stored in the units memory at any time (ie: Dealer Service).
4. If you are getting 8-9mpg there is something wrong! I average 13.5mpg mixed between city and highway. Remember with the 37s you will need to add about 10-11% to your mileage when calculating. Even more if you don't have an OffRoad package equipped H3/H3T.
5. Around town (under 60mph) I stick with 3rd gear. I've done this with 3 Alphas with 315s and 1 with 37s and it makes a difference.
6. Exhaust: go to an exhaust shop that does muscle cars and hot rods. Tell them what you want and they will custom build anything your heart desires. Dual mufflers, single muffler, duals w/ resonators, etc.
7. I don't drive 70 mph so I can't comment on your constant search for the right gear. Highway 80 mph and no searching unless there is a decent incline. Then as with any vehicle with a newer 4 speed auto it either locks the torque converter or downshifts. (4:56s will make a difference here).

Hope this helps, or at least points you in the proper direction.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:48 AM

I'd say go with 35's (315s) - not that much difference in look or offroad ability, but I think it would make a big difference in on road performance. Since that's rejected, maybe go with 4.56 gears and a PCM tune.

For the exhaust, I know it's a bit nit-picky of me, but you do NOT want back pressure, you want scavenging. Install a quality, full length, legal exhaust. Something that will minimize back pressure and maximize scavenging.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic
I'd say go with 35's (315s) - not that much difference in look or offroad ability, but I think it would make a big difference in on road performance.
While I agree that tires (esp size) is a personal choice there are reasons to bite the MPG bullet and go with the taller or wider tire (265 to 285 to 305 to 315 to 37" and beyond).

Sceptic, I'm not sure if you have seen any H3/H3Ts with 37s vs 315s but there is definitly a noticable diffenrence in the look to me. I have also wheeled with an H3T with 315s behind my H3T with 37s and YES there is also a difference in the "offroad ability" (breakover angle, approach angle, departure angle, front diff and rear axle clearence, underbelly clearence). There where areas where I went through unscathed he had to either be strapped or pick another line.

Can you guys tell which are the 37s and which are the 315s? Maybe I'm the only one who can notice. I am kind of a tire nut!

Name:  MonsterT.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  141.2 KB

Name:  DSC_0038.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  189.3 KB

Name:  h3on37s.jpg
Views: 1919
Size:  151.8 KB

Name:  MrT0003-2.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  139.1 KB

Name:  MrT0004-1.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  128.8 KB

Name:  MrT0006-2.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  186.4 KB

Name:  MrT0003-1-1.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  150.6 KB

Name:  MrT020112-1.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  187.8 KB

Last edited by TAINTER; 07-17-2012 at 11:39 PM.